PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a second or more hobbies?

Vito
05-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Please feel free to post here.

Another hobby I have, and wife shares this, is playing pool. Not very good but working on this.

8-Ball / Billiard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDRPVlpKtPU&feature=channel_video_title#ws )

Dimeman
05-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Beside detecting and collecting coins, and a nice collection of metal detecting books and magazines.

I collect 60's rock music--which consists of mostly LP's, 45 RPM's and CD's of the Beach Boys and The Ventures ( instrumental band--they did the TV show song --Hawaii 5-0 ).

I also play-- at playing guitar ( not very good)with my Squier Stratocaster ( imported and made by Fender) and small Fender Frontman 25R amp.

When I was into racing with my 2 Chevy Nova's( from 1972-1986) I collected owners manuals, Chevrolet press photos, Nova sales brochures,Chevy Nova magazine ads and magazine test drive articles about Novas. I still have all of those items.

I played around and built some computers from parts bought and upgraded a few for friends and my brothers. I have upgraded my computer --all the inside parts and drives have been changed at least 7 times over the last 10 years of me doing that.

Too many hobbies and not enough time to do them all..... :shocked01: :shocked01:

BOWSER
05-22-2011, 07:40 PM
I used to be that good, 15 or 20 years ago,you 2 aren't kidding anbody, send me the air fare and will play you both for 5 dollars a game.

v3ikid
05-22-2011, 07:49 PM
I used to do a lot of hunting when i was younger. With all the new rules here on Government land and the fact that when you did go hunting there got to be so many people doing it that it was getting dangerous. You know, people shooting at anything that moves without identifying what it is first.

Done a lot of fishing over the years too but that too becomes a hassle when you are Bass fishing a pristine point on the lake and 3 or 4 jet skis come flying ouy of the cove. Kinda ruins the mood to fish for the rest and relaxation.

Been playing the guitar for 30 years without learning anything about music. lol

Past guitars are:

Yamaha 12 string
Takamine 12 string
Takamine Jasmine 6 string accoustic/electric
Fender Squire (current) 6 string accoustic
Fender Resonator (still learning and not very good)

I miss having a 12 string though. What a sound

Epi-hunter
05-22-2011, 08:02 PM
I have had a lot of hobbies over the years.

I am a member of a dance group. We dance a lot of hours a week (just started again... wasn't active for the past few months though) and sometimes dance at clubs and events. Mostly hip-hop and also oldies (80's and 90's) classics.

I also sing, but haven't done that in awhile.

I rollerblade, but didn't do it much last year. Going to do it this year big time. I also would like to get into roller derby.

russellt
05-22-2011, 09:19 PM
beer ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just kidding . i have a few volkswagens and they are a handfull. but incredibly fun to drive and or beat on. my hobbies include being sober, metal detecting and shooting squirrels . there is a no fly zone imposed in my yard ..the remington model 597 lond rifles insures my safety from squirrels and communist aggresion there in ..i like building military models also .nothing follows

M-Taliesin
05-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Howdy!
Thanks for an interesting thead!
I have quite a few other hobbies myself. I enjoy writing (obviously), and playing guitar, and love movies! I'm a huge fan of movies. Have a collection of several hundred titles on DVD. Heck, I've still got some on VHS!!!

But a new, most recent hobby is shooting. I attribute this to Pipster's doing, but he got us interested in shooting and now we are members at the range nearby. We go and fire a few rounds on a weekly basis. What started out as a trip now and again with Pipster to fire his pistols has evolved into our having 5 handguns of our own between me and my wife. The whole bunch of us are working on getting our CCW permits too. I tend to believe that having a weapon when hunting in some neighborhoods in Denver might be a real good idea anyhow.

Thanks again for a neat question. Fun to see what folks are doing besides detecting!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

psychposse
05-22-2011, 10:09 PM
As a consequence of going back to school I have a second hobby of taking naps :sleepy:

I do enjoy photography, though I am not great at it. Finding time is tough for me right now, but have been catching a few shots of birds around home.

aloldstuff
05-23-2011, 02:09 PM
My other hobby is trying to keep my wife happy and I can usually do this by getting out of the house to go metal detecting. KIDDING...coin collecting and anything old. My wife and I used to go to a lot of tag sales, an awful lot. It was so bad that we would have to go home to unload the car so we could go back out again.

Tony Two-Cent
05-23-2011, 02:53 PM
I do enjoy photography, though I am not great at it. Finding time is tough for me right now, but have been catching a few shots of birds around home.

Those are great photos!

My primary hobby besides metal detecting is collecting comic books. I have been doing that since 1976 and I have over 15,000 comic books. (Too many!) I attend several comic book conventions a year.

I also collect historical photos, documents and letters of local origin, from Monticello, IL and Piatt County.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/WWC-2010/DSCN0080.jpg

CyberSage
05-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Aside from detecting I enjoy local and Western history. Photography is a lot of fun and I have a good time incorporating it into about everything I do. (psychposse, those are great photos!). I spend a lot of time in the garden, and have a passion for heirloom tomatoes specifically. I have been in the computer industry for 27 years, so I am a geek at heart. I love tech toys, and have a large collection. I guess this would explain why I use a V3/V3i detector. I like to write, but have a tough time finishing anything. lol That's about it. Great thread!

Jack

coinnut
05-23-2011, 10:28 PM
Besides detecting, I coin collect, stamp collect, bottle collect, play the guitar (barely lol) love to hike (but don't do nearly enough of it) and eventually will return to making percussion chimes and windchimes rofl. Used to make professional drums for a couple of years. I have played pool since I was a little kid. Now I can barely hold my own :dontknow: I will collect just about anything (even dust) :cheesysmile:

dave in iowa
05-23-2011, 10:41 PM
I play music , have for 45 years now , the band im in was just inducted into the Iowa Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this last year , we have been playing steady (3 -5) nights aweek mostly for 39 years , The Mississippi Band from Dubuque Iowa, we have a my space and a page on facebook, i play guitar , harmonica and sing . 1st album was in 1981 , 3 more cds since then and another in the works , we do ok, nobody throws anything at us anyway i collect coins and anything old , lots of baseball cards , and some comic books. son was into star wars , so we have those

tanacat
05-26-2011, 07:32 AM
I love anything outdoors-before I got married and had kids I was a serious backpacker, rockclimber, speelunker and white water rafter... but now we just go car camping. I spend a lot of time hiking and walking the trail/creek behind our house catching critters with my two little boys. Can't wait for them to be able to carry their own weight and go backpacking!

I also love nature photography (great bird shots Psychposse!), arrowhead hunting, play acoustic guitar -mostly 70's classic rock esp love the Grateful Dead, playing darts & pool (nice shooting Kraut!) Oh, and my hubby and I brew beer :beerbuddy:

But I'd have to say my favorite hobby besides metal detecting is being a MOM :smitten:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_9929.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_9930.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/100_4044.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_9970.jpg

RobW
05-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Too many hobbies, too many interests....too little time :yes:

My wife says I'm a hoarder....we'll see how she feels when I'm dead and she sells my stuff...of course I won't be around to see that 8/