PDA

View Full Version : E-Trac vs SE swing speed

cliff490
01-10-2010, 06:50 AM
For those of you that have used both detectors Is there a noticeable difference of increase in the speed at which you can swing the E-Trac
I often catch my self rushing when I have to travel so far to get to an area to detect and have little time.
I am trying to justify the purchase of an E-Trac
I have a SE with pro coil 8'' and 5'' coils and have been using it for 2 years

Epi-hunter
01-10-2010, 10:22 AM
For those of you that have used both detectors Is there a noticeable difference of increase in the speed at which you can swing the E-Trac
I often catch my self rushing when I have to travel so far to get to an area to detect and have little time.
I am trying to justify the purchase of an E-Trac
I have a SE with pro coil 8'' and 5'' coils and have been using it for 2 years

To be honest I don't think you can justify the switch to an e-trac based on being able to cover more ground faster. You can swing faster with it, but you will miss those targets among trash, and those very deep targets, which in my opinion is what makes the e-trac such a great detector.

It is one of the hardest things for me to do... to swing slowly enough so that I am not walking over those targets. I too have the tendency to want to cover as much ground as possible, given my limited time detecting. But it is more productive to cover less ground, and do it thoroughly, and it just can't be done quickly with that machine. But it's worth it. :)

cliff490
01-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the response Epi-hunter;
Late this past fall I started hunting a park thats about 80 miles from me. It has deep old coins 7''+ and was flooded in '52
It has very little clad but plenty of trash and has been heavily hunted. The ground was saturated when I hunted it.
So my next question is just how much depth does the E-Trac have over the SE

Thanks
Cliff

coinnut
01-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Hey Cliff, I can't help you about comparing the two machines, since I never owned the SE, but I can tell you it goes deep. I got a large cent at 12 in saturated ground. But here's what I would think is the best advantage. The trashy sites. If you follow Angel's and some other posts, it's the fact that the E Trac is finding SHALLOW coins (Mercs, Buffs, Quarters, etc..) in between and in the trash. Lots of coins are in the 6 and under range. My guess, in an open field, with very few targets, The E Trac may not gain that much on the SE, but in trash I would think it would be very helpful. Of course experience plays a big role in any deep target recovery. Just my thoughts on it.