PDA

View Full Version : Finally and a nice first find...

psychposse
05-22-2011, 09:50 PM
I finally had a chance to put the coil to the soil and my first find was an axe head, then a 1965 quarter and a few zincolns.

I found the axe head along the mighty Mississippi river bank where history shows that the first settlers of the town landed and began what is today - so I figure I got the axe head on the axe that felled the very first tree for the very first campfire thumbsup01 right! right!?

It was the first solid signal that made me want to see what it was. The pics don't show it well, but it was actually about 10 to 12 deep.

I wire brushed it a bit to see if I could make out a stamp, but nothing yet. I might try electrolysis to see if that reveals anything. I do think it is old.

del
05-23-2011, 02:38 AM
it does look like it has some age to it , i hope you get a mark off it thumbsup01

aloldstuff
05-23-2011, 08:25 AM
dug a few of those myself, really hate lugging it around while detecting.

psychposse
05-23-2011, 11:18 AM
dug a few of those myself, really hate lugging it around while detecting.

Indeed! Thankfully, I was only 20' from the truck when I dug it up :happydance01:

jkress
05-23-2011, 11:40 PM
Glad to see you finally found some nice hunting time. :peace:

- so I figure I got the axe head on the axe that felled the very first tree for the very first campfire thumbsup01 right! right!?

Yep... from the pictures I can clearly see you are correct. :clapping:

By the way, the '65 quarters are definitely teasers. crying01

coinnut
05-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Yep, I've found a lot of axe heads...some made it home, some didn't lol Yours cleaned up well, so it is probably an older one for sure. Hope you can find some marks on it or see how it was made to give you an idea of how old it is.

so I figure I got the axe head on the axe that felled the very first tree for the very first campfire thumbsup01 right! right!?

Absolutely thumbsup01 :clapping: