PDA

View Full Version : Are we a hobby or a..

aloldstuff
05-24-2011, 01:34 PM
sport. I was recently asked this and immediately answered hobby. I started thinking about that question and I think we could be called a sport. Why?? I use metal detecting as a means to collect coins...how?? by hunting them. Relic hunters do the same thing. There are metal detecting competitions. Just looking for opinions........

Tony Two-Cent
05-24-2011, 01:52 PM
I have always thought of it as a hobby, although there are certain parallels to sports, such as setting goals and competing against others or against your own personal best. Certainly there is a significant amount of physical energy spent, I like to think of it as good exercise even if I'm not finding anything.

I will continue to think of it as a hobby for myself though, simply because hobby sounds more relaxing. :)

del
05-24-2011, 02:15 PM
well Al i guess until you can draw 60,000 screaming fans into a stadium to cheer you on while your doing it , it has to remain a hobby for now . lol rofl lol

but a dueling detecting match of sudden death with Coinnut does have a nice ring to it . :boxing: lol rofl rofl

aloldstuff
05-24-2011, 02:20 PM
I know I can sell tickets to that..........

RobW
05-24-2011, 03:13 PM
I would say that it is both. While we all agree on th hobby aspect:

1) We are hunting for coins or relics...so do game hunters and they call it sport

2) It's physical excercise, sometimes more so

3) It's mental and physical, there is strategy to it

4) Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose...generally we loose...except for a few of us...achem :angelic:

5) Yes there are competitions

6) There are clubs...like some sports clubs

And yes, it can draw a crowd..Even AL ...as evidenced by this photo from last week of Al surronded by a group of kids, a man (and his detector, his wife and kid...I knew it would come in handy someday lol

For some reason they left me alone....Al just looks so appoachable rofl

pulltabsteve
05-24-2011, 03:19 PM
well Al i guess until you can draw 60,000 screaming fans into a stadium to cheer you on while your doing it , it has to remain a hobby for now . lol rofl lol

but a dueling detecting match of sudden death with Coinnut does have a nice ring to it . :boxing: lol rofl rofl

rofl rofl rofl Now thats funny!!! It's a hobby :yes:

RobW
05-24-2011, 03:39 PM

Dan, don't you have that every weekend with George? :boxing:........ lol lol

del
05-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Dan, don't you have that every weekend with George? :boxing:........ lol lol

its just not the same Rob , George insists on using the coil safety pads so no actual blood is spilled for our competitions :rolleyes: he's such a Nancyboy sometimes lol lol

coinnut
05-24-2011, 07:12 PM
its just not the same Rob , George insists on using the coil safety pads so no actual blood is spilled for our competitions :rolleyes: he's such a Nancyboy sometimes lol lol

:dontknow: How much more pounding can you take from Nancyboy lol You are just about gone :blackeye: :blackeye: rofl But if you insist on blood, that can be arranged GirlyQ :girlcry: :beatdown: :beatdown:

It's a hobby, bordering on obsession for me. I have always avoided the sport part of it, which I consider the competition, planted (seeded) hunts. But that's just me lol

Epi-hunter
05-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Why don't we ask good-old Merriam-Webster? :cheesysmile:

Hobby:
1) a small Old World falcon (Falco subbuteo) that is dark blue above and white below with dark streaking on the breast. ( :thinkingabout: :confused: :-\ )
2. a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation.

Sport:
1) a source of diversion (recreation); a physical activity engaged in for pleasure.

So it could go either way by definition.

I think it's a hobby. I suppose if people are competitive at it, such as the example of seeded hunts, then it could be a sport. (I dislike seeded hunts, personally... I like the 'hobby' aspect of this, to find old coins and relics)

Apparently it doesn't have to be athletically or physically demanding to be a 'sport'. Which is consistent with the fact that people call golf and NASCAAR racing 'sports'. :rolleyes: (NASCAAR fans, don't attack me please lol )

v3ikid
05-24-2011, 09:49 PM
I suppose since it is a hobby and can be a profession then it could be considered a sport. It is a hobby to me. No matter what you call it we have the coolest activity there is. :perfect10:

Cheap Thrills
05-24-2011, 10:21 PM
It's a compulsive sickness bordering on madness ( if done right ).

psychposse
05-24-2011, 10:58 PM

Would there be halftimes and cheerleader shows? :perfect10:

del
05-25-2011, 05:53 AM
Would there be halftimes and cheerleader shows? :perfect10:

sure but without the wardrobe malfunctions ;)

CyberSage
05-25-2011, 07:17 AM
It's a compulsive sickness bordering on madness ( if done right ).

lol Yes, it is an addiction, and American Detectorist is our self-help group.

aloldstuff
05-25-2011, 07:33 AM
Self Help Group.....this forum fuels the addiction.

RobW
05-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Self Help Group.....this forum fuels the addiction.

:omg:...I actually agree with AL... lol

M-Taliesin
05-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Howdy Pard!
I'd chime in to call it both. While as a sport, you might not get 60,000 screaming fans into a stadium to watch a metal detecting competition, there are always spectators who show up to see this type of event. I've even seen newspaper folks come out to take photos and get the story for their local edition. In some towns, a metal detecting competition will be the biggest event of their calendar year, aside from the high school prom or football championship.

To the casual observer, it might look about as thrilling as watching Thai Chi, but for those who take part, it has elements of a sport. Speed, precision, luck, exertion, physical endurance (I've been to a few that were physically brutal), and of course, training all enter into play. Depending on the terrain, you can experience the thrill of victory or the agony of the feet! In many ways, it is similar to golf. In golf you dream of the hole in one. In metal detecting, you hope for one in the hole.

Some detecting competitions are combat ugly, and competition can be fierce. Conditions can be tough. Some competition hunts have the added element of rattle snakes on the field as another element of caution. Cactus is also terrific fun as hazards go, and can leave you with memories to last many days after the competition is over and done with. In Sapulpa Oklahoma last year, mud was everywhere and proved a daunting hazard to some folks.
Point being, there are hunting and fishing shows on television and you can buy DVD's at the Bass Pro Shop about those sports. Metal detecting is simply hunting for targets while fishing the dirt.

That's my opinion, for the 2 cents found in the same hole.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin