PDA

View Full Version : When to dig on deeptargets or how to recognize them

vatos
05-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Hi Folks,

I have to same as a newbie i am very happy with the Etrac and it is a silverkiller.
Just have a questions for you :

Non deep targets: (always search in conduct):

They are given a very nice signal and a stable number (FE/CO)...... nice two way sound when sweeping the coil.
Had also two deeper coins with the same affect.

But i also hear noises , in which i am not sure if i have to dig.
These noises are not given a very nice signals, and the numbers are bouncing around my screen.
Also the depthmeter is given a deeper target but also bounces.
Are these false signals? How can i decide to dig on these sounds...sometimes they have one way sounds and sometimes two ways when sweeping over with the coil.
Main difference are the sound signals according to the less deeper targets.

Hope for your help guess i do not like to miss targets

Ty Arend

Dimeman
05-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Welcome to the forum,
As I haven't used a Minelab before but this should pertain to all detectors as they all basicly operate on the same transmit--recieve principal.

There are coins in the ground that could be at an angle--not flat and could cause a one-way good signal and choppy or bad on the other way passing the coil over the target. Also trash items very close to a good target could read the same way... a good tone then a bad tone. The target screen might even have the numbers jumping from one ID to the other. If the targets are not the same depth again you could get different depth readings there also.

I have had numerous signals just like that and have gotten both a good target and trash from the same hole.

Until you dig it and see the item, you never will know what is actually in the ground. There is a metal detector users old saying--- Dig it all !!

Tony Two-Cent
05-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Dig it all !!

This. thumbsup01

RobW
05-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Those are the iffy signals...more times than not, it's trash...BUT it's those few times that pay off...just this weekend MASSdirtfisher had an iffy signal, I checked it out on my E-trac before he dug...very, very iffy, very bouncy...and I must admit, I would have let it go...Barber Half Dollar 8/...makes me wonder how many other great finds I've passed up :thinkingabout: :hairpulling:

So I agree...dig them all unless you are certain it's trash

coinnut
05-25-2011, 01:55 PM
This is the hardest thing for me to learn, but so far I have learned that if it repeats in the same spot and has numbers around the FE 12 range or bounces up to that range a lot, then dig it. If the pinpoint matches the spot you hear the signal, dig it. Iron will sound like a deep coin, but usually doesn't sound off in the same exact spot and may not pinpoint where you think it should. But finally if you can't decide and you have been looking over that target for a while...dig it. Something about it makes you want to dig it, so dig it. That is the only way you can figure out deep nails, or large scrap iron. I rather dig some nails, than pass up deep silver. I always dig some iffy nail targets when I first get to a site. This way, I am more certain when I hear the next one.

RobW
05-27-2011, 08:51 AM
When I first get to a site, I dig a lot of the first signals, especially the penny ones, which I generally do not dig if shallow unless the first few are wheats. Trying to get a lay of the land...but this does not always work. It always blows my mind that you can find an 1869 silver half 3 inches down...then a memorial at 6 8/...you just never know :dontknow:

jkress
05-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Excellent post Ty. :yes:
Definitely a process I am trying to get a better grasp on lately.
Lots of great responses so far. I still dig my share of deep rusty nails, so
I don't have a lot of info to pass on yet, but I am looking forward to watching this thread.
Although I have to especially agree with Coinnut when he states, Something about it makes you want to dig it. :yes:
A good hunch usually reveals an old coin.

tanacat
05-27-2011, 09:43 PM
just this weekend MASSdirtfisher had an iffy signal, I checked it out on my E-trac before he dug...very, very iffy, very bouncy...and I must admit, I would have let it go...Barber Half Dollar 8/...makes me wonder how many other great finds I've passed up :thinkingabout: :hairpulling:

Oh my.... :-\ that is a scary thought! I hadn't heard about that one.

dave in iowa
10-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Great post , thanks for the insight .......i too wonder on iffy high tone signals.

396nova
10-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Your E-Trac is a great machine. I have never used one, but have read many posts that prove the E-Trac`s abilities. Most high end detectors audio response can detect deeper than the TID # display. In other words you can hear good targets deeper than you can see them. If you hear a good target audio that is repeating, I would dig it. It will not always be what you hope, but many times it will. As RobW said, I would not want to miss a Barber Half Dollar.