PDA

View Full Version : Evening Hunt Yields First E-Trac Gold!

z118
05-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Today was likely the nicest day weather wise so far this Spring, so I was more than pleased to be able to get out for a hunt after an especially long day at work. The spot I planned to hunt was full of baseball and lacrosse practice, and my alternate spot was packed too. So I headed a short way away to an out of the way spot at a third site. I had hunted this location 26 times before tonight, and like just about all my spots, it has been getting a bit bare find wise. The grass was pretty long, making swinging a chore and no doubt costing me some depth. But regardless I got right at it, digging almost everything just to break the monotony. I hit a quite a few signals that sounded like nickels but the numbers bounced around quite a bit so I expected junk. Most of them did prove to be nickels, so I'm not sure why the numbers were so bouncy and inconsistent. None were that deep. At any rate toward the end of the hunt I got another of these iffy nickel signals which joyously proved to be a nice 14k wedding band. That sure as heck made my night! This is the first gold I've found with the E-trac, which helps alleviate some of the doubting I have been doing about this machine lately.

The only other noteworthy finds were a '46 nickel, a '44 wheat, and an interesting button with a three legged eagle and the text SPES X NOSTRA X ES X DEVS - God is our hope. Total for the evening was 42 coins worth $3.06.

Also worth noting is how great the Garrett Propointer my father bought me has been. It goes a LONG way towards decreasing the time it takes me to find a target in a hole or plug. I had convinced my self that a pin pointer was an unneeded luxury but now that I have one it's hard to imagine going back!

Happy Hunting!

Tony Two-Cent
05-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Congrats on the successful hunt and the GOLD! That's awesome! There is something extra special about seeing gold come out of the ground!

I echo your sentiments about a pinpointer. I debated whether or not to get one with my E-Trac, as I had never used one before and didn't see why they were necessary. After reading all of the forums I decided to go ahead and spring for one and I'm glad I did! Wow, they certainly DO decrease the time it takes to find a target! They also do a great job of preventing me from scratching coins, as they tell me precisely where the coin is located in the hole. How did we ever live without them?

coinnut
05-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Congrats on the gold :shocked04: :shocked04: :loveit: :clapping: :clapping: That is a real nice surprise. Sometimes fate has a way of pushing you to the right area thumbsup01 Here's something to try on the bouncy signals if you remember. When you get a bouncy signal, shorten your swing so that you just swing just an inch on either side of the target. But more importantly, make sure each swing is in the same spot over the target, In other words, don't hit the target with the tip of the coil, then sweep again and hit it in the middle of the coil , etc...Make sure you hit the target on the same place. Try pinpointing it so you know where it is and re-sweep it like stated above. The reason I mention this is that I have a bad habbit of moving the coil all over the place while looking at the numbers :embarrassed: I'm sure it doesn't help me much lol Congrats on finding that gold :beerbuddy:

jkress
05-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Score!! <:
Awesome looking gold Z. :drool: One of those are on my wish list for the year.
The tall grass is getting to be an issue here in our parks. I just don't like
having the coil 4-5 inches above the ground, definitely throws off my game. Kind of makes me wonder if the Parks Dept.
had to reduce the frequency of cutting to help with their declining budget. :confused:
As you have found out, a good pinpointer is far from a 'unneeded luxury'. It is a necessity.
The last time my battery died in my Propointer and I didn't have a spare in the truck... I stopped detecting and
made the 30 minute round trip to the closest convenience store, paid three times normal price for a junk battery, and went back to detecting. :yes: lol

Once again... awesome ring. :clapping:

cnr_dogs
05-25-2011, 10:22 PM
Nice hunt WTG on the gold I found the same button the eagle is called a tuetonic eagle the buttons have been repoduced but originals were worn by Hessian Soldiers in the revolutionary war good finds

PL8MAN
05-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Congrats on the GOLD :beerbuddy:

aloldstuff
05-26-2011, 06:56 AM
The third choice was the charm. Congrats on the gold

RobW
05-26-2011, 08:24 AM
Congrats on the Gold! :clapping:

I too thought a pinpointer was unnecessary and went YEARS without one. But now, I couldn't imagine life without it! Recovery time is faster thus allowing for more time to find more things....and a lot less frustration!