PDA

View Full Version : first copper of the season

randy
01-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Woke up this morning and it was 13 degrees. The last thing I was thinking about was metal detecting, but I got an e-mail that some guys were going to a site that had given up some Spanish silver and some other good stuff in the past, so who am I to pass on such an opportunity?

Anyway, pulled one LC and a copper button in 4 hours. As usual, can't make an id (the soil is so bad, I can't even date the clad I pulled). It is really thick tho. One guy said that means it a George I. As near as I can tell, has a right facing bust, but not totally sure. Will look into all that later.

No photo -- its already in the olive oil. In the very unlikely event any detail is recovered, I'll post a photo.

Anyway, it was just nice to get out and find something old this time of year.

angellionel
01-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Very nice Randy! Hopefully you will be able to make out some of the details. :) I'm getting frostbite just thinking about detecting in that cold weather though. lol

del
01-10-2010, 05:21 PM
:huh: a copper already , you lucky dog . :crying02: :crying02: thanks Randy , now i really want to get out :bangahead01: :poke:

congrats , can't wait to see a picture .

bmattioli
01-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Nice job! Can't wait to see a pic since it's been three weekends in a row of no detecting.. There's no soft area's to dig in, the ground is frozen here..

Epi-hunter
01-10-2010, 06:03 PM
That is great Randy! Glad somebody is getting out. I'm starting to go stir crazy with all this snow :rolleyes:

CyberSage
01-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Keep diggi'in them old coins Randy! Nice to hear you are still getting out.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

coinnut
01-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Right about now I'd take a picture of any copper lol blank or not. Hope that's an indication of how your year is gonna go thumbsup01

RickO
01-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Congratulations Randy, sounds like it may be a 'big copper'... RickO

MassDirtFisher
01-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Congrats on pulling anything from the cement we call ground, not to mention a copper. Sweet Find!!! Happy Hunting!!

SeabeeRon
01-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Boy, I'd love to find one of those, but not sure if they turn up out here!

randy
01-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Here is this copper after about 2 weeks in olive oil. Not much here, unfortunately, tho I can make out a capped bust facing right when held at the correct angle in the right lighting when the planets are aligned just so. Trust me :grin:

Weight is 11.05 grams, which is consistent with some capped bust large cents from the mid 1790s, but the diameter is only 27mm, which is a good 2mm short. So, I don't know what it is. Reverse is totally shot. Back into the oil for a year or so, I guess :rolleyes:

coinnut
01-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Nice Liberty Capped Bust Cent!! Don't worry about the 2 mm loss, it can happen due to corrosion. I have a Matron Head Large Cent that is so thin on one side of the coin you wouldn't believe what it is. Corrosion can take lots of material from a coin. The obverse of them Capped Cents are mostly hit well, and pretty deep, but the reverses are usually struck weak. So it makes sense you don't and won't get much from the reverse side. Great copper to start the year off! I've seen some pretty sweet finds so early in the year :yes:

hoser
01-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Now thats what I'm talkin about! Veery well done. Glad to see someone is able to do some hunting. Keep at it as long as you can.

del
01-23-2010, 12:17 AM
now thats an early one Randy , very sweet bet theres more where that came from my friend . glad you could identify it and congrats.

John M
01-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Sweet way to start the year.