PDA

View Full Version : Victory snatched from the jaws of defeat!

Viking
05-27-2011, 05:43 PM
My wife got me permission from a co-worker to hunt an 1894 yard last night. This has been a long time coming, so I was excited about it to say the least. A little background info- I have hunted a friends yard from 1910 a few times and really never found anything old (~35 shallow coins with an average age of 1982- due to a lot of landscaping and fill in the 1980’s >happydance02, so I knew that this new prospect was no slam dunk. Sure enough, it started off really poorly last night.

I spent about an hour in the tiny backyard and was having all kinds of problems with chirpy signals due to a lot of rusted iron trash, EMI, and metal landscaping edging. Autosensitivity would only go from 16-18, which says something about the conditions. I hunted the whole back yard and found a couple rusty nails (dug them because they were iffy and my arm was about to fall off from all the swinging) and a pop top. I decided to go over it again, switching from Angel/Andy’s pattern to the standard coins pattern (figured I’d up the discrimination to see if it would talk less) but still couldn’t find anything. Then I tried to hunt wide open- ha! I think I shaved 6 months off my hearing with all of that racket. >:/ Then I tried two-tone ferrous and actually found a shallow clad dime. Between the chirpiness and clumpy, hard-to-swing-over grass, my spirits were broken and my patience was toast. :hairpulling:

I decided to try the front yard really quick before heading home. My first target in the front was a wheat penny. “Ok, ok, this is better”, I thought. Next target was near a bush and only a couple of inches deep. I cut the plug and could see silver staring back at me. Upon further investigation, I about fell over. It turned out to be a 1910 Barber Dime. :happydance01: Woo hoo! Second oldest coin I’ve ever found and first Barber dime (oldest is an 1896 Barber quarter). Ended up with 6 wheat pennies and that Barber in the front yard. Moral of the story is that my spirits are as high as they’ve ever been! :peace:

Thanks for looking- Viking

MassDirtFisher
05-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Congrats on the silver and wheats!! Happy Hunting!!

coinnut
05-27-2011, 06:08 PM
lol Yep, we have all been there. High hopes and then the stark reality 8/ There is lots of junk in standing house yards :girlcry: :girlcry: :girlcry: But the real moral of the story is never give up. Your best day of detecting could just be one signal away. Glad you got that Barber and I would have loved to see your face :shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: lol Great looking coin :clapping:

jkress
05-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Wow... great save Viking. You walked away with some nice coins. :peace:
You sure through the book at the yard, great persistence.
It's amazing how a hunt can be saved by just moving over a little
to a new section.
Congrats on the Barber. :clapping:

JTGOLD
05-27-2011, 09:06 PM
nice barber and wheats good finds,wtg.

rsarge1
05-27-2011, 09:09 PM
+awesome wtg :clapping: :clapping:

del
05-29-2011, 10:04 AM
great looking barber and congrats on your second oldest :peace: :clapping: :clapping:

Snickerdoodle
05-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Nice Barber dime!!

top pop top
05-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Great hunt and WTG on the Barber and wheats thumbsup01

milco
05-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Nice hunt and your persistance paid off. I have found that with older homes the front yards are usually much less disrupted that the back yards. Congrats on the old silver!

aloldstuff
05-31-2011, 11:56 AM
Congrats on the silver and the wheats. Hope you get to go back

tanacat
05-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Moral of the story is that my spirits are as high as they’ve ever been! :peace:

Ah the silver dance! :happydance01: Congrats on that barber dime!

I wish my hubby would find me a good site to hunt :confused: You're lucky! thumbsup01

Tony Two-Cent
06-01-2011, 07:58 AM
There's nothing like the thrill of unearthing a silver dime, then discovering that it's a Barber! To this day I still remember the first Barber Dime that I found, where I found it and the date (1916). Any hunt where you find a Barber Dime is a good one!

Keep swinging that coil, keep concentrating and keep digging. You will find a lot more great coins! CONGRATS! :clapping:

zrickkid
06-01-2011, 07:36 PM
WTG man. A Barber anything is high on my wish list. :envious: :angelic:

wingmaster
06-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Congrats on the barber and wheats.