PDA

View Full Version : Electrolysis

psychposse
05-27-2011, 07:07 PM
I was going to try it on a coin, but never got around to it.

Since it has been raining just about every day here, I managed to rig up a little electrolysis setup and dropped the axe head I found into it, then within 5 minutes the bucket of distilled water and salt looks like this.

I took it out once, I thought I could see a faint stamp near the butt that I hope will help me identify it, but I might have to sand blast a bit.

However, this electrolysis process is pretty interesting so far.

Here is an article on how to do it: http://www.ighunters.net/metal/electrolysis/equip.htm

tanacat
05-27-2011, 10:15 PM
:shocked04:stretcher: Wow! I want to see that axe head now :yes:

I've never tried this, heard briefly about the process... It seems kinda scary- can you get shocked? Like if you stuck your hand in that bucket it would give you a little jolt? lol I guess I could read the article link huh? :cheesysmile:

tanacat
05-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Hey, that's a nice tutorial... I've never had any coins look in that bad of shape (the before and after pics). Thanks for sharing this, maybe I should try on old iron I dug up - literally an 'iron' iron! Perhaps it is a collector's item though. Know anything about them?

MartinL
05-27-2011, 10:32 PM
I was going to try it on a coin, but never got around to it.

Since it has been raining just about every day here, I managed to rig up a little electrolysis setup and dropped the axe head I found into it, then within 5 minutes the bucket of distilled water and salt looks like this.

I took it out once, I thought I could see a faint stamp near the butt that I hope will help me identify it, but I might have to sand blast a bit.

However, this electrolysis process is pretty interesting so far.

Here is an article on how to do it: http://www.ighunters.net/metal/electrolysis/equip.htm

That pic reminds me of my last rounds during the super-flu. Let your imagination fill in the blanks. The nightmares continue! martin