PDA

View Full Version : FORUM MEMBER HUNT TODAY

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-28-2011, 09:13 PM
a few guys from the forum came down for a little park hunting here in waterbury.we hit 3 different parks. weather was great! it was nice to meet rob and aaron.dan and george came,paul (tattoou)from another forum popped in and keith made a showing.a couple keepers surfaced but mostly a clad kinda day.
i got a silver war nickel,2 indian heads.2 older local waterbury bus tokens and a cool hinge type thing.says optical works with some name engraved J.M something?no clue what this may have went to? maybe a part off those old tri-pod cameras? that's my only guess :confused:
i'm starting to think cellar hole hunting is so much easier.
my knees and palm (from lesche)are killing me.haven't done that much kneeling in awhile

jkress
05-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Nice finds HMN. :clapping: Looks like a nice place to hunt.
I don't think many keepers snuck by you and your crew today.
Great pictures and congrats.

milco
05-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Looks like a nice bunch of finds!

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Nice finds HMN. :clapping: Looks like a nice place to hunt.
I don't think many keepers snuck by you and your crew today.
Great pictures and congrats.

thanks! i hit this field pretty hard 2 years ago when they tore it up but as with everyplace,stuff is always missed i missed a few silver coins and glad these guys ended up getting them as opposed to some other detectorists who may have stopped at some point

del
05-28-2011, 09:42 PM
very nice Dave i didn't know you hit on two indians , very nice thumbsup01 , good pictures . hows your headache:huh: it should be better now because Coinnut left with me . lol lol

Well it was picture perfect weather for coinshooting in a park , nice cool temps and mostly overcast day with some great gentle breezes. :happydance01: :happydance01: not long after i was detecting a hilly bank of the park ifound an old class ring (not gold) somekind of other metal that was gold gilted and has a blue stone
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/gradringcloseup11.jpg

i'm thinking its early 1920's-40's . later Rob and i had a treat to see a good sized red tail hawk swoop down and perch himself in a tree just above our heads .
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/redtailhawkintree.jpg
i think he just wanted a better look at what all the idiots detectorists were doing in the park . lol lol
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/redtailhawkintreecloseup.jpg

shortly after i hit on an indian penny (1905) and then a mercury dime (1925)
and later just before leaving i found a second merc (1941)

heres the totals...
14 clad quarters
8 clad dimes
2 nickles
about 12 clad pennies and 4 wheats (1954 , 1920 , 1939 , and an unknown?)
an old tie tack
a large brass hollow ball :huh:two buttons
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/may28thfinds1.jpg
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/41merccloseup.jpg
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/del1786/2011/25merccloseup.jpg

it was a long tough day coaxing some silver out of the ground , but i had a good time . meeting new a detectorist from the forum ( Rob W) and getting together with some familiar ones too ( Hockeyguy ,Heavymetalnut ) .

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-28-2011, 09:50 PM
that's a great pic of the hawk! nice silver dan! my headaches better thank you.here's that hinge thingy
says optical works with a name engraved above hole J
HM something :confused:

pulltabsteve
05-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Looks like a great time was had by all :happydance01:

coinnut
05-28-2011, 10:04 PM
You guys did well :clapping: Great hawk shots Dan :clapping: Cool looking shots through the coil Dave :clapping: Am I getting fat or is that detector pouch shrinking lol It was a lot of fun seeing some of the guys again. Weather was perfect. My finds don't compare to the big boys today lol but I did get a couple of keepers. Got 13 wheats, 35 memorials 12 clad dimes 6 clad quarters, An odd token that says rub me for good luck, but I ain't doing it \:hammer: Also found my only silver of the day in the form of a .925 charm. Lots of junk, some odds and ends, metal ashtray, some annoying little buttons :hairpulling: 1 Lime Green pulltab lol and last but not least 1 unhappy embeded tick (well he is unhappy now) >:# :bop: :bop: So everyone check for ticks. This one was in pretty deep. It was easy swinging, hard digging, but a lot of fun :clapping: Thanks everyone who made it down, especially Aaron who has a bit of a hike to come down.

dave in iowa
05-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Some very cool finds , looks like a great time , nice group hunt,

del
05-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Dave the words are hard to make out but they look hand engraved don't they:huh:

Cool looking shots through the coil Dave :clapping: Am I getting fat or is that detector pouch shrinking lol

lol rofl lol yeah better watch out George , a few more quarter pounders and you'll be loosing your pouch again ....
everytime you buckle it on lol lol.

hey very impressive wheatie total George :clapping: :clapping: and your token is a strange one to say the least but its huge and probably atleast a 100 years old :thinkingabout: and the lime green pulltab is definately your best keeper lol lol :teasing: next time we do this were getting a group picture first. i'm glad you found some silver and was really surprised you didn't pull it up at the last minute like usual.
fun day buddy happydance02

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-28-2011, 10:40 PM
nice job G! you got the tick from today?

hockeyguy
05-28-2011, 10:45 PM
It was great fun to get out and swing with everyone today. Weather, friends and plenty of shallow targets. I didn't know George could help with headaches but its good info.

I agree Dan, I really wanted a group pic for future reference myself....maybe in 19 years, we'll look back at the good ole days. Oh yeah, here's my find for the day....Dave you have one of these too, no?

That is a nice pulltab George.....Almost as nice as my rust can lid. WHo picked these parks?

(species GOOSE EGG maximus)

coinnut
05-28-2011, 11:09 PM
i'm glad you found some silver and was really surprised you didn't pull it up at the last minute like usual.

I'm saving my luck for cellar holes lol

you got the tick from today?

Yep, probably right in the beginning when I went up them hills in the wooded area 8/

That is a nice pulltab George.....Almost as nice as my rust can lid. WHo picked these parks?

Yep. we both got some stellar finds lol I believe we can blame Dan for the parks, since he found the silver thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-29-2011, 04:21 AM
You guys did well :clapping: Great hawk shots Dan :clapping: Cool looking shots through the coil Dave :clapping: Am I getting fat or is that detector pouch shrinking lol It was a lot of fun seeing some of the guys again. Weather was perfect. My finds don't compare to the big boys today lol but I did get a couple of keepers. Got 13 wheats, 35 memorials 12 clad dimes 6 clad quarters, An odd token that says rub me for good luck, but I ain't doing it \:hammer: Also found my only silver of the day in the form of a .925 charm. Lots of junk, some odds and ends, metal ashtray, some annoying little buttons :hairpulling: 1 Lime Green pulltab lol and last but not least 1 unhappy embeded tick (well he is unhappy now) >:# :bop: :bop: So everyone check for ticks. This one was in pretty deep. It was easy swinging, hard digging, but a lot of fun :clapping: Thanks everyone who made it down, especially Aaron who has a bit of a hike to come down.

ya know.....umm i saw Dan & Rob rub that thing.that explains the silver \:hammer:

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-30-2011, 08:51 AM
yeah Dan it looks hand engraved no doubt! why such nice work into this piece? :confused:

coinnut
05-30-2011, 09:41 AM
yeah Dan it looks hand engraved no doubt! why such nice work into this piece? :confused:

Wonder if it is a piece of an optometrist's equipment. That would explain the extra effort since it is a highly regarded profession. :dontknow:

sniffy
05-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Sorry I couldn't make it fellas...I was up in MA pickin up my new ride.

Kimster
05-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks for sharing. It's always fun to hunt with friends. I'm repeating myself, but as I have said in the past, seeing a friend find something good is almost as good as finding it yourself (ALMOST!!!!).... <:

angellionel
05-30-2011, 02:13 PM
I wish I could have joined you guys. It would have been a fun hunt even without many finds. That open space looks like a good one to leisurely hit now and then.

RobW
05-31-2011, 08:12 AM
I had a great time meeting everyone and putting names and faces together! Dave those are some cool shots you took. Dan the pics of that Hawk turned out great! Glad to see Dan beat you for a change George lol

It was kinda cool to look around and all you saw were people detecting...It was like flash detecting lol...for once I didn't feel like the odd ball in the park lol

Found some keepers....2 Mercs, 1 Buffalo, 1905 Indian, A union strike token, some wheats and what I believe to be a penny blank. It is copper, the same dimensions as a penny, just completely, totly blank, there are no outlines of anything on it, anywhere

aloldstuff
05-31-2011, 09:27 AM
Everybody, it looks like a fun time was had with some keepers. Wish I could have gone but went out of state. Hopefully next time

wild willy
06-01-2011, 03:15 AM
oh man if i had known about this i would of went! whens the next one :-\ willy

Tony Two-Cent
06-01-2011, 07:32 AM
It looks like everyone had a good time! Thanks for sharing your finds and great photos. That hinge definitely looks old and interesting! I love the engraving on it. It cleaned up nicely too.

It's fantastic that you can still find Indian Heads and silver in a place that has most likely been hunted to death over the years. It just goes to show that there will always be good stuff out there to find!

I found a penny blank too a few weeks ago. It sounds exactly like the one you found, Rob. Weird.