PDA

View Full Version : DISAPPOINTED

BOWSER
05-29-2011, 02:09 PM
I have read posts about the mxt and the 6x10 coil getting good depths, i am not doing that well after purchasing the coil,I dug a 7 inch hole in the ground and placed a qter flat on the bottom of the hole and filled it in .The detector was set at 2 - +3 the detctor never saw it :crying02:

midas
05-29-2011, 03:09 PM
How did the AIR test do on depth?
From what I've learned freshly buried objects do not detect as deep as objects that have been in the ground for a period of time. Ask any Minelab owner about newly plowed fields. Not sure what depth the 6x10 is supposed to get, but it will be less than the 9.5 or 10 inch DD.

RounderRick
05-29-2011, 03:42 PM
I used an mxt for over a year and I never dug any coins beyond the 8 mark and that was with the stock 950 coil and not freshly buried.
I'm not knocking the mxt I loved that machine and I would own another one but a lot of people exxagerate a lot on depth by just eyeballing the target and saying that's about 10 I see it all the time on videos.
The 8 targets I did find yeah they looked a lot deeper but I use true measurements when I check a targets depth.
I'm also not saying the mxt want go beyond 8 I'm just saying that's the best I ever got out of mine.

CyberSage
05-29-2011, 04:32 PM
The 6X10 is just a 6 coil Bowser. Good for separation, not depth. If you want some great depth with the MXT try the D2 coil out. It was my favorite coil when I was swing'in my MXT.
here is an Indian at 9 inches with the MXT D2 combination...

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/1899Site.jpg

BOWSER
05-29-2011, 08:41 PM
thanks for the replies i must expected too much

Dimeman
05-29-2011, 08:56 PM
The 6X10 on an M6 can get a dime at 8 inches----when I had my M6 actual measured depth on 2 dimes dug from 2 different locations was 8 inches on each one. Had dug plenty at 5-7 inches, but only 2 at 8 inches deep.

Like Forest Gump-------------And that's all I got to say about that. :cheesysmile:

coinnut
05-29-2011, 09:40 PM
On any good coil I have ever owned for my DFX, or even for my Minelab, (Don't have an MXT), I usually can squeek out 1-2 more that the width of my coil. So for a 6 coil, I could get 7 - 8 max on them and under just the right conditions (moist ground, no adjacent targets, great soil, etc..) I'm guessing that you should be able to read that quarter if it was in the ground for a while and the dirt above it was settled. Everything I have heard about the MXT says it's a great machine. I know Dan has that coil on the DFX and he get's some deep targets with it. Give it some time, tweak the settings and see if anyone with one can give you some settings to try out.

cnr_dogs
05-30-2011, 09:42 AM
I have read posts about the mxt and the 6x10 coil getting good depths, i am not doing that well after purchasing the coil,I dug a 7 inch hole in the ground and placed a qter flat on the bottom of the hole and filled it in .The detector was set at 2 - +3 the detctor never saw it :crying02:

Bowser leave that Qtr in the ground there and let it season through rain freeze thaw dry etc let it build a halo and the MXT with 6X9 will see it with threshold faint and good headphones. My test garden dissapointed me at first. I buried various targets from surface to 9 and fresh my MXT using stock950,4X6 and 6X9 would only see them to 5 after the fall winter season into the next spring the MXT would read all of them. The garden is a 1:blackeye:20 area I use it to test other peoples detectors there I have pegs in at all targets and a log telling what all pegs are for verification.

M-Taliesin
05-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Howdy Bowser!
Sorry you feel disappointed, but as others have said, different coils will give different results. I have the &quot:beerbuddy:igfoot coil on my MXT right now, and it won't see deep, but can sure cover a whole bunch of ground per sweep. The Bigfoot is superb for finding lots of targets in an otherwise trash-free location. It is an outstanding coil for competition hunts, but not all that great at depth at all.

My 6x10 gets better depth than most of the tot lots I hunt will allow. I will often hit on targets that are below the landscaping fabric and I won't damage the tot lot to pursue a target. Just not neighborly to do that sort of thing. Since that darn knee problem, I just haven't hunted much anywhere other than tot lots. Figure that will change in coming months though.

I haven't really hunted much with the 10dd coil, or the 12 either. If I wanted to get maximum depth, I believe I'd first clear an area with the 6x10, then go back over it with the 8x14 Deep Scan coil. It is heavy as heck, but gets the best depth of all my coils.

Hope you find a combination that gives you the depth you're looking for. A lot depends on your ability to hear deep targets, the quality of your headphones, and your sweep speed. My hearing ain't what it used to be, but I still find some goodies at depth. It just ain't as easy as it used to be.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Vito
05-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Hello Jim. :grin:
But at last it didn't detect the filled in hole (as some other detectors will do).

Jim, as you know, I'm using the 6x10DD Eclipse all the time because the 950ish is a peicea cr@p (IMO!). What I do is, I'm using relic mode and trigger in center position (two tone ID), trac on GND, gain on preset, disc on first preset and threshold just as I can hear it. Then I allow to balance the machine over a clean spot and if done switch trac into >lock< position.

Doing so I've no trouble to get a 8 deep quarter sized object in my test garden loud and clear with ID. The difference to your test will be, my test garden is there for a few years and so the soil will be as compacted as the rest of the area is.

If you want to see how deep a fresh coin can be detected in your area I'd do following:
Set the detector to the preferred mode, disc very low, gain on preset as long as the detector runs stable, Trac on GND and threshold to the point I can listen to it. Then I'd allow the detector to ground balance (pumping a few times). Then I'd search for a clean spot in P/P mode. Then I'd regroundbalance over the clean spot and switch the Trac to lock position.
Now I would rest the detector on the ground, placing the coil flat on the clean spot and sweep the targets over the coil. :yes:

Another test should be to bury the targets on a fresh plowed field.

All my best to you, Jim, and good hunting.

-vito

BOWSER
05-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks everyone, i should plant a garden of my own to experiment with,i did bury a dime in my backyard 4 years ago, still havent been able to find it >:tongue:

pulltabsteve
05-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks everyone, i should plant a garden of my own to experiment with,i did bury a dime in my backyard 4 years ago, still havent been able to find it >:tongue:

Are you sure you buried it in YOUR yard Jim? :cheesysmile:

CyberSage
05-31-2011, 08:14 AM
On any good coil I have ever owned for my DFX, or even for my Minelab, (Don't have an MXT), I usually can squeek out 1-2 more that the width of my coil. So for a 6 coil, I could get 7 - 8 max on them

I have to agree with coinnut, this is really what it comes down to. The physical width of the coil, type of coil (concentric or DD), and the mineralization strength of your soil. Air testing will reveal the following potential for depth in the following order.

6X10 DD Eclipse (6 inch coil)
:loveit:14 DD Deepscan (8 inch coil)
950 Concentric (9.5 inch coil)
D2 DD (10 inch coil)
Super12 Concentric (12 inch coil)

We know that the coins we look for don't float around in the air, so as mineralization strength of the soil increases you will see the DD styles coils get better penetration. Prior to the release of the Super12 and D2 coils in even moderate scenarios, you would see the :loveit:10 Deepscan do the best job. Now that the D2 coil is finally solid and working great it easily out performs other Whites coils in depth. That being said, there is always certain conditions that give different results. The most common conditional change is frequency use. Multi frequency verses single frequency, and of course low verses high. In moderate soil conditions with little or no EMI the Super12 in a low frequency of 2.5 or 3 kHz will get great penetration and go very deep. Higher frequencies do not penetrate as well. There is also some change in depth do to how the multi frequency modes process signal responses (subtractive verses additive), or DFX verses V3i.
For me actual testing in the field, as well as in established coin garden tests reveal that there is no comparison between the D2 and 6X10 Eclipse coils. The 6X10 has better separation and a smaller field, therefor making it run quiet and smooth with definitive target response. This makes it a very pleasant coil to use, but due to the physical width difference (6 verses 10) the D2 is simply much deeper. With this increased depth, and larger field, comes the potential for more noise making it a little harder to use. The D2 has had it's history of problems, but is now working great. I would really like to see Whites introduce an 11 or 12 DD style coil now.

Jack

Bedrock
05-31-2011, 06:19 PM
I was digging wheaties at 8+ in Illinios with my MXT Pro and the 6x10 DD coil, a couple of weeks ago. The ground VDI was 53. So I know that the 6x10 can go deep under ideal conditions. I can't dig coins that deep in northern Califrnia, where the ground VDI is always above 75, and usually closer to 80.

wingmaster
06-02-2011, 08:53 PM
If you don't have the D2 coil you should really try one, I can get dimes at 10+ with the MXT and the D2 coil. I'm hunting a park right now thats been hit hard I'm sure as I only get wheats and merc's from 8 to 10 that everyone else missed.

fastfwd
06-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Yes indeed the MXT with the D2 coil will work you to death !! I mean your going to be digging coins at 10 inches all day !

todklo
06-06-2011, 08:59 AM
On any good coil I have ever owned for my DFX, or even for my Minelab, (Don't have an MXT), I usually can squeek out 1-2 more that the width of my coil. So for a 6 coil, I could get 7 - 8 max on them and under just the right conditions (moist ground, no adjacent targets, great soil, etc..) I'm guessing that you should be able to read that quarter if it was in the ground for a while and the dirt above it was settled. Everything I have heard about the MXT says it's a great machine. I know Dan has that coil on the DFX and he get's some deep targets with it. Give it some time, tweak the settings and see if anyone with one can give you some settings to try out.

I agree with Coinnut. I found a 1978 Quarter atleast 8 down with my MXT Pro in our local Park. I was using my 300 Coil with preset coin/jewelry settings.
Indy always told me that the older deep coins would read because they have been in the ground so long the mineralization would infect them (so to speak). The newer Clad coins I find are only about 2-3 deep. Hope this helps.

KSHOLLYWOOD
04-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Your test garden should only be around 4-6 because the fresh hole broke the halo affect and you won't find many things deep. I have a garden where I buried a half dollar at 8 and an etrac, exterra 505, whites dfx couldn't even find it. I also ran a Tesoro Tejon over it and it didn't find it either. It has to stay in the ground for a while.