PDA

View Full Version : Quick Memorial Day hunt with Al more BIG SILVER..and BIG TROUBLE

RobW
06-01-2011, 08:11 AM
So after ticking my wife off my detecting on Friday night, when I said I wasn't. Then spending all day Sat gone on the group hunt...Then I told her that I was all her's on Sunday and Monday :grin:. Al's house is right on the parade route. He had invited us over to watch the parade there and have a Memorial Day cook out. Lots O' Fun thumbsup01. WE spent most of the day there. Then Al and I were talkin', then we were itchin to get out. I asked my wife if I could go....she said for an hour...an hour...it takes 1/2 an hour to get there and another back..that doesn't leave time to detect :confused: SO I politely told her it would be more than that. I could tell she was a bit ticked, but not so bad. Then as we were leaving, she brought my daughter around who was crying and didn't want me to go.....emotional warfare...not playing fair. So we left.

We went back to where I had found the Shield half and Tim had found the Barber half. I was concentrating in an area Tim had gone over :tongue:....got a sweet hit, but no number were coming up on the E-Trac. Kept going over, nice tone but still no numbers :dontknow:...so I decided to dig. There she was...1945 Walking Half :peace: happydance02 :happydance01: <:....Did the dance...not quite as elaborate as before lol. Then on my pass back down scored a nice Merc. I also managed a wheat and 1946 Jefferson.

Made it home after 3 hrs...... >:\ silent treatment for the rest of the night. Took her out for a nice dinner the next night :yes:....I think I'm grounded still >:/

Viking
06-01-2011, 08:57 AM
rofl Haha, nice write up! Hey, it would've been a lot worse had you gone out and gotten skunked, or came home with a couple memorials...maybe pull that card on your wife next time! Actually, scratch that...just lie low for awhile! Great hunt Rob! :clapping:

aloldstuff
06-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Well, well, well. Congrats on the wonderful hunt and the big silver. There I was looking at Rob in my rearview mirror next thing I knew I was looking at him out my side window. Instant catchup......I can't say it enough, for the next 2 weeks do NOT mention my name at the homefront. I'm starting to feel like the kid that nobodys parents wanted their kids to hang around with.

milco
06-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Awesome silver! Congrats on the finds!

Kimster
06-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Rob, Rob, Rob. Your story is so typical. The wife factor can be a big one. But here are a couple of strategies that I and my MDing friends use. thumbsup01

Strategy number one. Get your wife interested in MDing. Now, it's probably not a good idea to have her flailing around for hours swinging her detector over nothing the first time out. That's like taking someone snow skiing for the first time and watching them fall on their butt all day. They'll hate skiing and the snow. :frozen: The solution for the skiing scenario is to pay for lessons the first time out.

But back to MDing and the get-my-wife-interested strategy. Plant some good stuff before you take her out the first time, and never make the mistake of telling her later that you did this. Yeah, this sounds kind of underhanded, but once she’s hooked, she’s hooked. If she finds a gold ring first time out, look out, because you'll be the one babysitting the kids while she MDs all day with her friends. But she’ll definitely develop a new respect for MDing. :cheering:

Which leads me to strategy number two. Is it really a good idea to get your wife out there metal detecting with you, or worse without you while you do the babysitting. :behave: Really boys, if your wife is out detecting, who's going to do the cooking, cleaning, take care of the kids, etc. Now, lady detectors (all you lady detectors know that you are a different breed from the typical house wife), before you string me up to the nearest tree, I'm saying this with tongue in cheek. I'm kidding (with a smidgen of serious intent). :white:usaflag::

In my case, in order to try to make up for my absence while metal detecting I do as much as I can when around the house (which is another must if you use strategy number two). :angelic: I do the dishes after meals (everyday, all the dishes, all meals and anything I find in the sink in the morning so my wife does not have to get up to a sink full of dirty dishes). I take care of my own laundry (most of the time), I take out the trash religiously (especially those revolting trash containers kept in the bathroom), and I help with the house cleaning (this means vacuuming the entire house every weekend – it only takes about 45 minutes, and it’s a big one) as well as taking care of the yard. I also make it a point to try to fix a meal (dinner) once in a while, and also occasionally take my wife out for dinner (I don’t particularly like going out for dinner, but if it makes my wife happy, it makes me happy). If you want a happy marriage and you still want to get out there and hunt unrestricted (as a retired guy with an income that keeps coming as long as I wake up in the morning, I hunt every day) for those Standing Liberties, this is a way to go. Remember, a happy wife makes a happy husband. :beerbuddy:

Anyway, the crux to strategy number two is: always share your finds with your wife upon returning home; and in the case of jewelry (this is the big one) always give her the choice of your finds. My MDing partner not only gives his wife first choice of any jewelry found, he gives her any silver that is a half dollar or greater (she saves these coins in her collection, so what’s it matter). My wife always gets first choice of my finds, and I have found some very nice things (jewelry) that she has enjoyed having. I’m very happy to share this good fortune with her and to see her enjoy the things that I’ve found. :groovy:

This second strategy is the best of all worlds for me. I get out every day MDing, and my wife is always anxious to see what I’ve found when I get home. :clapping:

The third tack you can take is to keep doing what you’re doing, which honestly, is what most guys do. >:{ There’s nothing wrong with this method, but it does limit your MDing time. And you are flirting with disaster and may find yourself continually butting heads with your significant other. Sometimes that’s just the way it is. If you use this method, you have a lot of company.

Hope you have enjoyed this little ministry. Please take it how it was meant, only semi-serious. And good luck with whatever method you use. HH :peace:

RobW
06-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Well Kimster...my wife does not cook, If I'm not home to cook my family eats cereal or take out. She goes to the gym and works out 3 weekday nights until 7 pm and Saturday morning till 1pm. I've tried to get her to come out, but not even once...she doesn't like to get dirty. And unless she found a holy grail, there is very little that would excite her.....for example I'm an attorney and bill out at $200/hr and make into the 6 figures and she makes close to 6 figures..I come home all excited that I find a great coin..she asks what it's worth and I tell her about $20.....so you've been gone all day, and all you have to show for it is $20. (and that's a great day)...she does not get it.

So I'll go with the 3rd option...just keep on doin' what I'm doin. :yes:

When I'm dead and gone and she sells all my stuff....we'll her next husband will be all set rofl

aloldstuff
06-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Rob,I read this post and before you responded I had already picked option 3 for you

RobW
06-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Rob,I read this post and before you responded I had already picked option 3 for you

rofl..thanks Al, I knew I could count on you thumbsup01

Kimster
06-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Well, Rob. It sounds to me like you have it worked out. However, ol' buddy, I have to tell you that I make 6 figures and all I have to do to collect (like I said earlier) is wake up. :teasing: And I've been doing it since 2004 when I retired at age 56. :teasing: Sorry, I could not resist telling you after reading your post. :grin:

And as we both know, the amount of money we make has nothing to do with the thrill of the hunt or the elation we feel when we find something good. I spend $100 on fuel to find $5 in clad. I wouldn’t trade anything for the thrill I get when I dig up a gold ring, or find an 1800’s half dollar. Wives just don’t understand. Mine just tolerates my lunacy. happydance02

mike l
06-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Thats why I hunt early, at sunrise. That gives me about 4 hours and I'm home by 9:30. :grin:

jkress
06-01-2011, 10:34 PM
First off... SCORE!!! <: The WLH is an awesome find. :clapping:

Second... you are sliding down fast on that ever so slippery slope my friend. lol

Congrats on the half and Merc.

del
06-01-2011, 10:56 PM
very sweet half Rob , you've been on a hot streak for big silver lately . yes the wives just don't get it :dontknow: its the thrill of the hunt :yes: hey just let me know when the wife has that big tag sale over at your house and i'll give ya a great deal on all your stuff back lol rofl lol :teasing: :teasing: hang in there Rob my wife wasn't to keen on my outings at first either but later she realized that there are far worse things a husband could be doing than just playing in the dirt . ;)

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-02-2011, 05:03 AM
nice hunt man! glad i'm DEE-VORCED! rofl

RobW
06-02-2011, 07:57 AM
And as we both know, the amount of money we make has nothing to do with the thrill of the hunt or the elation we feel when we find something good. I spend $100 on fuel to find $5 in clad. I wouldn’t trade anything for the thrill I get when I dig up a gold ring, or find an 1800’s half dollar. Wives just don’t understand.

Definatly not about the money rofl It's the thrill of the hunt, of not knowing what you're going to find :yes: Significant others understand, well >:tongue:. As Dan said, I could be doing A LOT worse >8)

wingmaster
06-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Congrats on the walker and merc.

Kimster
06-03-2011, 11:16 AM
very sweet half Rob , you've been on a hot streak for big silver lately . yes the wives just don't get it :dontknow: its the thrill of the hunt :yes: hey just let me know when the wife has that big tag sale over at your house and i'll give ya a great deal on all your stuff back lol rofl lol :teasing: :teasing: hang in there Rob my wife wasn't to keen on my outings at first either but later she realized that there are far worse things a husband could be doing than just playing in the dirt . ;)

Dan

Amen, Dan!

coinnut
06-03-2011, 05:25 PM
You gotta stop finding that big silver lol Otherwise you are gonna be in for a let down when it stops ;) Nice job on the Walker. Your recent detecting skill earn you this :perfect10:, but your presentation skills to the wife get you a nice fat goose egg :blackeye: rofl rofl Hope you spend some quality time together before I have to attent that tag sale at your house along with Dan :tongue: lol Nice hunt!!

MassDirtFisher
06-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Congrats on the Big Silver!!

JTGOLD
06-03-2011, 10:01 PM
very nice silver finds, and all I can say is, boy am I glad I'm not married and can go detecting whenever I want,,,,YeeHa !!!