PDA

View Full Version : Class ring returned and karma already

v3ikid
06-06-2011, 10:37 PM
I called a friend this morning that knows just about everyone around this area to get some info on the boy whos ring i found. He was working when i called so i left a message. I'm back at the park metal detecting this evening and i had took magics program and made a few tweaks and slowed my swing WAY down. I had the RX at 11 and that thing was super quiet and the treshold was purring like a kitten. I get to withing 10 yards of where i found the first Indian head using Yazoo's program and i get a bouny signal but as it's bouncing it's frequently hitting 82. I figured since i had such good luck this morning with the ring and 81 i'd dig it. Pinpoint said 6, so i dig down 6 and Boom a Barber dime.

My phone rings and it's the friend returning my call so i answer it. In the midst of the conversation I cover the hole up and the friend says I know the kid, he used to date my daughter, she's right here i'll get his number. I get the number and thank the friend and get to detecting. I rescan the hole just in case and another bouncy signal like the first only over about 4. Pinpoint says 6 so i dig. Yep ANOTHER Barber dime. How's that for karma?

I get home and try to wind down from the excitement of the day and i call the boy and he said he was headed back to town in a bit so he was coming right by my house. I told him to stop by . When he came to pick it up he told me that he lost it 3 years ago and thought someone had stolen it. All he could say was Dude you don't know how much this means to me, my Grandma was really upset when i lost it I said well now you can show it to her. He said first thing in the morning when she wakes up i will be there showing it to her. He shook my hand 4 times, he was pretty stoked. The last thing he said before he left was This is just amazing that you're giving this back to me, no one does that kind of thing anymore not around here anyway I said well i do. he said And i appreciate it more then you know. I said if it was mine i would like to have it back, so it's only right that i give it back.

Here are my Karma Barbers.

milco
06-07-2011, 12:31 AM
Nice barbers, great job on the ring return!

aloldstuff
06-07-2011, 06:55 AM
Karma rules along with the good people. Congrats on the Barbers and returning that ring

CyberSage
06-07-2011, 07:33 AM
That's awesome Kid! Good story and great Barbers. Make sure and share your program mods.

Jack

Tony Two-Cent
06-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Cool story, and great to see that Karma is rewarding you already! That had to be a blast, finding two Barber Dimes so close together! Congrats!

marinedad
06-07-2011, 08:07 AM
good job on returning the ring, even better congrats on the silver.

trout-hunter
06-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Great finds and a better ending with the ring returned,I still believe most of us are good and you are one of them. :peace: :clapping: |:confused:)

Viking
06-07-2011, 09:55 AM
That's a great story all around. I like that the world rewarded you for your good deed, in a way that really only a metal detecting enthusiast can appreciate! Can you imagine if somebody else returned a ring, and their reward was a couple of old dimes buried 6 inches in the ground, and they'd have to get all dirty to retrieve them? rofl That reward is as good as it gets for us!

Way to go v3ikid! :perfect10:

v3ikid
06-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the comments. I dug 2 Barbers for one returned ring. I know the 11 rings i have found would total more then most old dimes and even though i wouldn't trade the rings to someone for dimes i would very easily give em up for hunting a spot where i could hunt a digg 22 old dimes. thumbsup01 Am i crazy or do any of you feel the same way?

If it was just about money, i would sell the detectors and frame the cash but were would the fun be in that. rofl

I didn't tweak magics program much at all, After using the MXT a few hunts and finding some shallow stuff i was thinking about doing something with the V3i that would do well on shallow targets but still go deep. The reason I picked magics program to start with was #1, Of all the programs i have run on the V3i this is the one that i can get to run the smoothest nearly every time i use it here in my soil. The other programs do great for the most part but magics just hums right along with the treshold steady as all get out.

The second reason i picked it was because everything as far as sounds was set where i wanted them, I think i tweaked that early on with the V I don't think it's exactly like he has it but close. I basically have three tones for everything. It's simple i know but with the recovery delay at 60 and three tones it does great on shallow targets and i know it will get a barber at 6 inches, beyond that i will have to let you know. All i know is i'm seeing depth on negative numbers at 11 and 12.

I accept evrything visually and assign EVERY VDI a tone. ( I know some are saying WHAT!!) lol But with the way the tones are set it really makes it nice in trashy areas!!

The tones are as follows:

Every negative number gets a 50 This makes a slight ticking sound on junk and it is very easy on the ears because it will tick a lot. I think magic done this as to be aware of everything in the ground and it definatly does that.

0 to +49 gets a tone of 100 this is a little more noticable then the ticking and still easy on the ears plus it allows you to be aware of the Nickel & Gold (pulltab range) without the sound drving you crazy

+50 to +95 gets the 255 tone. A stark contrast to the other tones. If you are not a penny digger you could use the 100 tone up to the sixties befor appying the 255 tone.
I did it like this to start because i dig a lot of pennies but you can adjust to your liking.

Last but not least and i know this probably goes against conventional wisdom for depth but i set the filter 5 band pass with the recovery delay still at 60 but i didn't set it up so much for depth as for going as deep as possible and still hit the targets. If 6 is all it gets but keeps hitting Barbers then you won't hear me complain. lol

A few things i've noticed by running this way the few times i have is #1 it works great in trashy areas. The ticking of the 50 tone is pretty solid but it is tolerable. #2 it works good on getting shallower targets. I did a few hour hunt in the park again this morning and got
Quarters-5 Nickels-2 Dimes- 4 Pennies 12 with none being over 3 1/2 deep The deepest at 3 1/2 was a 1944 wheat penny.

Another thing to be VERY VERY( did i mention) VERY aware of is like the barbers at 6 the 3 1/2 inch wheat penny was a VERY bouncy signal it went from low 20's to the high 70's but the pinpoint was strong and coin sized. The only advice i can give about this is don't worry so much about the signal bouncing, pay closer attention to the numbers it is bouncy through. If you see 80 pop up often as the numbers are bouncing and the pinpoint is tight then you better dig it. Pay no attention to what the depth says. Same if you are seeing 50's come up often, this is where the Indians heads live.

It's easy to get your mind in the rut of well it only says it's 3 deep if it was a good target at that depth it wouldn't bounce so much I have learned this the hard way and This is not always true. I have dug wheats, silver and IH's that have done this. It just seems that with Magics program teaked a bit i understand the bouncing a little better. It's hard to explain

On all the targets i dug today that i suspected as pennies which i think was 10 I made sure to use polar plot to check what it thought. Today polar plot lost on all targets and these were shallow targets. It never called one a good target. I'm wondering if there is a correlation between the signal being bouncy and polar plot not responing in a positive way. I know i have used it on solid signals and seems to be very accurate there until you get deep then it will wonder off. :thinkingabout:

Any way, That is the set up. I had the RX set as high as 14 today but chose to back it off to 11. The falsing wasn't that bad at 14 but i wanted it smooth. I tinkered with moving the disrimination to 94 from 90 but ended up going back to 90. i believe i'll leave it right there. I believe AM is set to 70 on this and i had no trouble pinpointing shallow targets today. So think it is a good balance.

If anyone uses this and tweaks it even more keep us posted on the results. Ilove how smooth it runs. It balances as well as anything i've tried yet.

trout-hunter
06-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the info and being still a newb to the V3 I will try some of your settings and magics program, but so far my small success with silver has been with the factory coin settings.

JTGOLD
06-07-2011, 04:02 PM
great job on the return of the ring and very nice barbers,wtg.

v3ikid
06-07-2011, 09:29 PM
I waited until about 7pm to mow may yard to avoid the heat. Well it was still hot and there was no air moving at all. I got done about :crazy:m and thought I got some time before dark i better go get the detector. This was actually the first time i used Magics program with it set on the 5 band filter setting in my nail infested yard.

Turns out there was at leat two more coins i had overlooked. Both were pennies 1 clad and 1 Canadian. I usually find 1 or 2 Canadian pennies per year.

One thing i wanted to see was how well i could use this program near my ally because across the ally aboyt 15 feet up are some big power lines that will give the V fits. It didn't run quite as smooth as it did at the park but it was very acceptable for where it was. Both coins i found no more then 10 yards from the power lines.

One line on this set of lines (which is 4 lines total) I swear is 3 around.

I got another spot that gave the V fits with power lines when i first got it, I will hunt it again and let you know how it goes. I'll probably post next time in the Whites section, it seems to be a more appropriate place. Somehow This tread got Morphed into something else. :)

tanacat
06-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Congrats on finding the ring's owner and the karma! thumbsup01

Magic and I were hunting last fall and he set my id tones real nice. He programmed it like he was typing at 120 wpm! lol I still have a lot to learn. He changed the tone of nickels I think at 16-18 having a slight varying tone than 19-20 most likely pulltab. Seems buffs come in about 15 that sounds like foil/small ring, I need to change that to a diff tone.