PDA

View Full Version : Summer Metal Detecting

fsa46
06-08-2011, 01:23 PM
How Much MDing Do You Do In The Summer ?

Tony Two-Cent
06-08-2011, 01:39 PM
I go as often as I can. The heat doesn't bother me much physically, but on oppressively hot days (like today) I try to stay in the shade.

Also, when it is hot and dry I restrict my hunting to areas where my digging isn't going to leave an ugly brown spot on an otherwise green manicured lawn. I attempt to hunt on bare dirt, or on playgrounds or parks where the grass is already dead or absent, or in fields where it doesn't matter.

What I would like to know from forum members is, do you notice a significant decline in detector performance when the ground is dry? Do you not find as many deep targets?

v3ikid
06-08-2011, 01:39 PM
I worry more about damaging the ground then the heat. I'll take the heat any day over the freezing cold weather. :frozen: I just can't take that anymore.

From what i have noticed it does effect depth but for some strange reason it seems like the masking isn't as bad either. Maybe i'm wrong on this theory and it just seems that way. I have done a lot of summer month hunting and it seems like i get shallow targets in places i've hunted before easier when it's dry. Or should i say the targets seem easier to determine. It might just be me though.

aloldstuff
06-08-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm all for the parks and out of the way spots during the summer months. Those nice old homes with the nice green lawns can wait till the fall. This is my first year with the V3i so I can't say anything about depth yet. I did notice on my prizm IV that on exceptionally dry days the depth of my targets was not great.

top pop top
06-08-2011, 02:30 PM
The heat dosn't bother me but i try to stay out of the park turf do to damaging the grass .

dave in iowa
06-08-2011, 02:35 PM
every day i can , too hot latley though

fsa46
06-08-2011, 02:44 PM
SORRY, meant to post this in the General Metal Detecting Discussion forum. 8/

If a moderator can put it over there I would appreciate it, thanks.

RounderRick
06-08-2011, 04:47 PM
I said only on cooler days and don't mean it has to be in the 50's just as long as it's below the 90's I go often as I can.
Just can't take the heat like I could in my younger days.

russellt
06-08-2011, 08:06 PM
here in GA we have had 11 sraight days of 90 plus heat. i work on tekephones so by the time i get off work im ready to chill . literally.

zrickkid
06-08-2011, 08:42 PM
I hunted today in the Chicago burbs at a park I really like. The temp was at least 93 degrees. I just stayed in the shade as much as I could and drank a LOT of water. :twirlingeyes:

wingmaster
06-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Since I've not been feeling well, thats been a while now I get out early morning if its not to hot even then. Usually I can't take it by 10AM or 11AM and I'll call it for the day, anymore about 60 is perfect temp for me to detect. HH

coinnut
06-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Since I hunt mostly in the woods, I don't have to worry about damage to the ground. I usually hunt in any temperature, hot or cold, but the hotter it gets, the more I pay for it the next day lol Hydration is definitely the key :yes: When you start to wander around just swinging the coil and looking dazed, it's time to pack it up and head home (if you remember which way home is :shocked01:) lol

fsa46
06-22-2011, 06:04 AM
Since I hunt mostly in the woods, I don't have to worry about damage to the ground. I usually hunt in any temperature, hot or cold, but the hotter it gets, the more I pay for it the next day lol Hydration is definitely the key :yes: When you start to wander around just swinging the coil and looking dazed, it's time to pack it up and head home (if you remember which way home is :shocked01:) lol

I have to hand it to you, I don't know how you can deal with all the foliage, poison ivy, ticks, flying bugs and heat and humidity.

I am mostly a woods hunter also and attempted to give it a try last week, nada, just couldn't deal with all the BS and called it quits. :white:usaflag::

If I didn't get poison ivy, I might try to stick it out and let the ticks enjoy their meal while enjoying my hobby but I guess I'm going to just have to wait until Fall. :-\

bob_e99
06-22-2011, 07:15 AM
I have to hand it to you, I don't know how you can deal with all the foliage, poison ivy, ticks, flying bugs and heat and humidity.

I am mostly a woods hunter also and attempted to give it a try last week, nada, just couldn't deal with all the BS and called it quits. :white:usaflag::

If I didn't get poison ivy, I might try to stick it out and let the ticks enjoy their meal while enjoying my hobby but I guess I'm going to just have to wait until Fall. :-\

I share your pain. I'm on my second case of poison ivy and have more mosquito bites than coins on this forum but my newness to this 'hobby' has sort of raised my tolerance level. Ticks, though, I draw the line. Can't stand the little crittas and if I find one attached to me, I'll probably switch to manicured fields.

coinnut
06-22-2011, 12:56 PM
lol When we go out, we are really careful about ticks. The correct clothes, bug spray, and mosquito nets if needed. Then all we have to deal with is the heat and lack of finds rofl If I caught poison ivy easily, I could see why you would not want to go out in the woods. I have seen some bad cases of it, but for me I have been lucky.

bob_e99
06-23-2011, 11:34 AM
lol When we go out, we are really careful about ticks. The correct clothes, bug spray, and mosquito nets if needed. Then all we have to deal with is the heat and lack of finds rofl If I caught poison ivy easily, I could see why you would not want to go out in the woods. I have seen some bad cases of it, but for me I have been lucky.

You made me realize how ill-prepared I am although to be honest, I got the PI from contacting the roots which is not really an excuse as I should be wearing gloves. After reading your post, I am definitely going to get better prepared for the woods.

Thanks.

Epi-hunter
06-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Beyond just their general overall grossness, ticks are serious business because of Lyme disease. I avoid the woods except in the winter. I'm much more of a wimp than George and Dan. :cheesysmile:

I'm not allergic to poison ivy though. :)

Dimeman
06-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Only when it's cooler---in the mid 80's....can't take the Houston heat and humidity, like I did when younger--------------a looooooong time ago----- lol lol............the high 90's temps and high 90's % humidity........makes it very uncomfortable to me. :white:usaflag::

MassDirtFisher
06-23-2011, 05:12 PM
I will hunt on the hottest day with a large hot dunkin coffee by my side. Though , I dont get much free time at the moment with the little one ,and my wife due with another in September. But, when I have time Im SWINGING!!!! :boxing: :boxing:

MANDAD76
06-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Mostly hunt beaches/water in summertime - but when things get right - rain/clouds/cooler - it's time to hit the turf! Gotta have a plan. gl and hh

SHIMMER77502
06-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Dimeman, I feel your pain. The Houston heat and humidity is so oppressive. And with the drought we have been having this spring, the dirt has the consistency of concrete. So, I'm on Galveston Island combing the beaches at 6 a.m. That gives me about 3-4 hours of good hunting time before I begin to melt.....

Happy Hunting!

BrunswickMd
07-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Definitely learning about pulling plugs in different conditions - best chances to leave them with a chance to live. Practicing on my yard and getting a feel for it. The heat in terms of my own sweat? Lots of water and breaks - at sometimes it feels good to sweat. Use the shade where you can - not just MDing. I'm new so haven't tried cold :frozen:weather detecting yet. I'm guessing (and have read a bunch) about being free from ticks and such in the winter - that will certainly be an advantage. Just love those perplexing tones in my ear I keep hearing.. and trying to figure them out :huh: