PDA

View Full Version : Need help with probe/pinpointers

ArmyVetPaul
01-12-2010, 06:28 PM
I am new to MD and to this website and was wondering if anyone could give me a tip or two and help me make a decision I am stuck on. I have a Whites Spectra V3 and have a Sunray DX-1, I want to get a hand held probe/pinpointer as a back up and am stuck on either the Garrett Propointer or the Detectorpro PIstol Probe. Has anyone used both of these and can give some insight into which might be better to get. Any help will be much appreciated.........Paul

Humble Hunter
01-12-2010, 06:51 PM
I have no personal experience with either but I've read about both. The pistol pro is said to be superior in depth. You-Tube has a video on it.

randy
01-12-2010, 06:56 PM
I like the Garrett pro-pointer alot. Haven't used the other. The Garrett PP airtests 2.25 inches on a nickel. Built waterproof (so they claim) and is very rugged. Beeps faster as you get closer to the target. I believe the pistol probe is deeper, but I think too much depth can be a bad thing with a pinpointer.

Epi-hunter
01-12-2010, 07:02 PM
I have used neither that you mention but have read about both, and have used the SunRay probe on the DFX, V3, and Minelab detectors as well as several other handheld pinpointers. It might depend on why you are looking for a backup to the SunRay. I too have read good things about the Garrett, but that the DetectorPro goes deeper than most handheld pinpointers. But your SunRay should give you 2-3 inches, so depth might not be really what you're looking for. Between those two I would probably choose the Garrett.... but again, it might depend on what specifically you are looking for as a backup that is different than your SunRay.

wheresthegoodstuff
01-12-2010, 07:03 PM
I have tried both and I really like the Garret pro pointer. With the pro pointer it feels very solid and it is nice how the vibration gets stronger the closer you get to the target. Also the the LED is nice for hunting in the evening or night hunts.

I tried the pistol probe and didnt like that it lacks vibration,dosent feel very solid and is kinda big. It does go deeper but that was almost a problem to me not being able to tell how close the target really was, though it can be adjusted down. One other drawback is that PI pin pionters can interfer with some detecters like the T2.

Both nice products, best bet would be to check them out before hand if you can.

If you want a really cheap backup, they sell a hand held detecter at harbor freight. Costs around $15 bucks. Its a cheapo for sure, but gets the job done if all you need it for is a back up.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97245

Jason in Enid
01-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Can you explain why you feel you need another pinointer when you already have the Sunray?

I bought the Sunray, and I can't see the reason to ever use anything else.

ArmyVetPaul
01-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Can you explain why you feel you need another pinointer when you already have the Sunray?

I bought the Sunray, and I can't see the reason to ever use anything else.

Just want to have a good back-up......

CyberSage
01-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Very good question and topic for a thread Paul! I have both the Garret and the DX-1 probes. It really is a tough to choose between the two on the V3. It is a definite DX-1 answer on the DFX and MXT. I think I am actually preferring the Garret when using the V3. I am have de-tunning issues with the DX-1 as of late, but I will continue to work with it. I have used the Pistol probe briefly and it would seem that you almost don't need a detector when using it. lol

Keep Swing'in
Jack

ArmyVetPaul
01-12-2010, 10:53 PM
I am have de-tunning issues with the DX-1 as of late, but I will continue to work with it.

Jack, By the way being a newbee and all, how will I know when it de-tunes? Also When using the DX-1 are there any specific changes that need to made to the program like turning VCO on or off, etc?

Thanks again for your patience and willingness to answer what have to be simple question to someone with your knowledge and experience. I am so glad I found this forum........

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-13-2010, 08:46 AM
i use a vibra probe 570.a pulse induction unit that is completely water proof and submersible.in my opinion the best pinpointer on the market.
dave

wheresthegoodstuff
01-13-2010, 11:58 AM
The vibra probe is also very nice like HEAVYMETALNUT said. Only issue I had with it is gave a lot of cross talk with the T2 and then F75 I had.

ArmyVetPaul
01-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks everyone, you input was greatly appreciated. I ended up ordering the Garrett Pro Pointer, it just looks to be made better and does a bit more than the Pistol Probe without the depth, I am still not sure why anyone needs 6 inches to pinpoint something in a hole especially if the detector says the target is 5 inches down and you dig a 5 inch hole. At that point who needs to the extra 6 inches from the probe, doesn't make sense to me but hey everyone is different and that's what makes the world go around. Thanks again and happy hunting............

xzlr8n
01-15-2010, 09:50 PM
If your detector is working I do not think you will ever need a backup w/ the DX-1. I have a DX-1 that I used on my old DFX and absolutely would never detect without one again. With that being said, I have yet to test it on my V3. I'm hoping Jack's detuning problem is an isolated incident. The only time I had a problem detuning on my DFX was if I snapped the probe in next to the metal upper shaft of my detector and flipped the switch back to the search coil at that time. It seemed that big difference from the metal upper shaft to the ground signal at the main coil would throw off the circuitry of the DFX. At that point I'd squeeze and release the pinpoint trigger and everything would go back to normal. So, after a few times doing this I learned to always uncradle the probe and flip the switch once away from the upper metal shaft, recover my target, and before even going near the upper metal shaft flip the switch back to the search coil. Not sure if this has to do anything with the V3 or Jack's experience, but I'm hoping my DX-1 works well on the V3. Sunray in conjunction with White's have stated their DX-1 probe has no problems with the 22.5 frequency, hence v-nulled. However and as quoted from Sunray - However, the stock White's 10 DD coil may or may not overload with the DX-1 in-line depending on the tolerances from coil to coil. This has nothing to do with the probe or coil involved, rather with the switch (for switching from coil to probe and visa versa). So, I stand to be corrected if I run into problems this spring!!!! Jack are you having problems with any other coils or was it with White's 10 DD only (I know you like the SEF coils):huh:thinkingabout:

Here is a link to Sunray's website http://www.sunraydetector.com/

CyberSage
01-15-2010, 10:39 PM
The Sunray DX-1 Probe is a fantastic probe on the DFX and MXT. On the V3 it is ultra sensitive to ground balance and tracking. There is two different ways to pinpoint a target with the in line DX-1 probe. First off in the case of the DFX, you can lock the trigger into pinpoint mode or do the button push on the V3. This is an all metal mode and the use of VCO is essential for good feedback from the probe. The other method is to use motion mode. This requires quick back and forth movement with the probe as you look for the target. On the MXT there is no way to lock the trigger so you have to hold it back with one hand to use the pinpoint mode. I have always preferred the pinpoint mode. When switching to the probe it is always important to have the probe in the hand you will be using to search with and have the probe nose down into the ground away from any target. On the DFX you can give a quick squeeze on the trigger to reset the ground balance at any time. The V3 requires that you exit and re-enter the pinpoint mode. Remember the probe needs to be nose down in the ground when doing this.

Don't get me wrong here the probe works well on the V3, but will gradually loose its balance and get very reactive and loud whether on the ground or in the air. So I find myself resetting the ground balance a lot on the V3. The probe is definitely a lot better on my DFX and MXT. The DX-1 probe is definitely not nulled properly or V rated for the V3. It will overload at higher RX gains or with the TX Boost on. Still it works quite well. I prefer the Garret Pro Pointer over the DX-1 on the V3 simply because it is easier to use and does not throw any interference back at me on my earphones (V3). I have experimented a lot with trying to tame this behavior of the DX-1 with no success.

It's not that I am having a problem with the D2 coil, other than the first two I owned went bad on me and I had to send them back to whites. The issue is they just don't go as deep and are far more noisy. I really like my 6x9 Eclipse, Super 12, and 950 on the V3. They work well. The SEF coil in my opinion, is in a different league all together. Even though they wrap in the 22.5 kHz and are not V rated they kick some serious butt in the depth department. Hope this helps clarify things. Remember these are just my opinions based on my experience. Try things out for yourself and share the results here on the forum. This is what is all about. There is always something new to learn and discover about this great thing we call metal detecting!

Keep Swing'in
Jack

xzlr8n
01-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Bummer on the DX-1.. I'll have to report my findings in the spring. I have pretty neutral soil here in NY so hopefully this will be a plus. Jack you are right about the DX-1 being not v-nulled, I interperted SunRay's info incorrectly :embarrassed:.

hoser
03-01-2010, 11:00 PM
I don't have the DX-1 but it sure sounds like a great PP. I do have three handheld PP'ers that I use. The BE-II, Vibraprobe 560, and I just bought the Cen-Tech just for the heck of it, that and the fact it was only $16 I felt it would be a good backup or loaner in case someone hunting with me was without. I have used the ProPointer and it too is a very good unit. Solid, and has good depth. IMHO. If I'm hunting in a school yard, most of the time I use a brass coin probe as the targets are only an inch or two deep. thumbsup01

Salty Dog
01-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Good Choice on the garrett pro pointer,can't go wrong with it,I have owned several of the others including the DX-1 and got rid of them for a propointer,dave

Nitro 54
01-01-2011, 09:26 PM
I really like my DX-1, just because it will go 4+ inches deep.. And it's attached, so I'll never leave it behind like I have done with the BE2

Bedrock
01-03-2011, 09:12 PM
I have a Garrett Pro Pointer, and love it. It's rugged, sensitive, has a perfect shape and size, and the barrery lasts a long time. I just don't know what more you could ask for in a hand held pinpointer. But, I have to admit that I am not familiar with the other one you mention.

jkress
01-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Hi there Paul... great topic for discussion.

I have a Garrett PP. Love the way it works and am very happy with it. Especially the ability to de-tune it when necessary.

You'll be very happy with it.

Dimeman
01-05-2011, 02:18 PM
The Pistol Probe is supposed to go a little deeper than the Pro Pointer----but one of my buddies has one and while out detecting in a park, someone called in to the police and told them someone had a gun in the park. :shocked04: The Pistol Probe does have a similar shape to a gun.

Oh and my buddy had to explain to the officer and very gentlely slowly showed the officer the pinpointer--while being drawn upon by the officer who told him to put the weapon on the ground.

So you can take that into consideration. :thinkingabout:

coinnut
01-05-2011, 06:07 PM
The Pistol Probe is supposed to go a little deeper than the Pro Pointer----but one of my buddies has one and while out detecting in a park, someone called in to the police and told them someone had a gun in the park. :shocked04: The Pistol Probe does have a similar shape to a gun.

Oh and my buddy had to explain to the officer and very gentlely slowly showed the officer the pinpointer--while being drawn upon by the officer who told him to put the weapon on the ground.

So you can take that into consideration. :thinkingabout:

It really is a dumb design :rolleyes: What genius said let's make it look like a gun so any of them detectorists can take it to a school or park and look cool rofl One of these days it's gonna get someone killed and then the lawyers will be out :rolleyes: