PDA

View Full Version : Any Minelab Exterra owners in here ?

too_pointer
01-12-2010, 07:16 PM
I have the 705, and will welcome any opinions, tips, help on it. So far, so good, and getting much better with it. I'm am hunting the woods 90% of the time on old Military training grounds. I could very well be missing some good settings.
thanks
too_

del
01-14-2010, 07:30 AM
Too_pointer i'm not real familiar with the exterra minelabs but i would recommend using the least amount of discrimination and to make a test garden (an area where you could plant coins or other targets at different depths to practice with the settings on your machine to see if you can get it to respond or perform better on these targets ).

Dan

hoser
01-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Sorry buddy you know I know nothing about it but from what I have seen you are doing everything right. You had a great year last year and I do believe this year I will have to scamper to keep up to you. BTW, when I get my new machine I'm gonna be looking to you for some advice on the Minelab. ;)

coinnut
01-14-2010, 11:52 AM
I don't have the 705, but I'm running the E Trac. I would use only enough disc to get rid of the smallest nails. Then I would dig the iffy targets until I see what they turn out to be. A small coil and slow swing speed are 2 other things to try also. Other than that, I can't think of any other tricks for you lol. Let us know if anyone's tips worked for you. There may be another Minelaber here that could learn from your results, Good luck thumbsup01

Jack Flynn
01-15-2010, 09:39 AM
I'll try to guide you a little here. I had a 70 and then a 705 earlier this year. I had some good hunts with both. The best way to run either one, the 705 seeming to me to be a little more stable. Run the sensitivity up until it crackles a little. If it crackles a lot ease it down until just a little. Now imo the coil selection is the most important thing with either machine. My favorite being the 7.5 DD with the 3khz CC a close second. If I had just one coil only I'd take the 3khz. This machine will hunt very fast, very fast, but if you hunt it slow it will really shine. Run it in multi tone and get used to it or else it will just be almost a beep and dig detector. I would hunt in all metal too and learn the sounds of it that way. Iron will be a low grunt like tone. Coins will be very definate tones or warbles. I had all the X Terra coils and I'll have to say the two I mentioned should be your staples. Keep in mind that is a matter of opinion too but there are a lot of people using the 3khz and loving it. Make absolutely sure you lower the threshhold to where it is almost not audible, very low, and you can hear whisper signals with the machine. The machine pinpoints extremely well too with a CC coil but the DD is deadly accurate when you drag it across the target and the tone stops the target is right there at the far edge of the detection field. There is a wealth of knowledge about these machines on the net and as far as the price goes for what you get in a metal detector these are at the top of the heap imo.