PDA

View Full Version : Impressive results with the X-5

jkress
06-10-2011, 09:49 PM
First of all... it was nice to get back out swinging again. The 95 degree heat that we have had for several days finally broke yesterday. :clapping:
Tonight almost felt like fall weather. :happydance01:

I wanted to go back to the yard I found some Barbers last weekend and use my 5 coil. Last time hunting this yard
I noticed one big section along the side of the house that was a constant iron null with the 11 coil. I thought it would be
a nice test with a smaller coil. Although I continued to have lots of nulling, but if I crept along with the X-5 I started to hear threshold again.

I was really impressed with what the small coil let me hear.
Far from good signals... but just enough on some targets to get me digging.

First target was this quarter. I cut a deep plug and put the pinpointer in the hole. Sure enough it went off.
Dug about an inch of dirt and pulled out this big piece of railroad spike. Was a little disappointed because the
sound was very nice from one sweep direction. Then I noticed just a glimpse of silver edge in the bottom of the plug.
I was just blown away that the quarter sounded off with the spike two inches below it. :shocked04:
http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-84.jpg

A short time later I hit another broken but decent signal. Several nails plus another coin.
http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-85.jpg

Another one direction hit before the null. These were in the same hole a couple of inches from each other.
http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-87.jpg

Also picked up these from the iron zone.
http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-86.jpg

Plus this Captain Midnight membership medal from 1940. :happydance01:
http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-88.jpg

It's nice to see what this little coil is capable of in the right conditions. I've always been very happy with the
way the 11 coil separates in most trashy conditions but apparently there is, understandably, a limit to it's abilities.

mike l
06-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Great finds and great pictures. Amazing you still heard the silver with all that iron around. Captain Midnight medal is a cool find :beerbuddy:

Ill Digger
06-11-2011, 12:10 AM
8/ What are you trying to do? Get me into trouble? :dontknow:
You know I'm going to have to get one of those coils now :yes:
How am I going to explain that one to mama? :beatdown: :dontknow: lol
Those are some great finds from such a iron infested area Joe! :yes: |:confused:)
No token this time I see. :thinkingabout: But instead, you find one of the coolest medals I've ever seen 8/ :envious:
Great hunt and great post too thumbsup01 Very nicely done thumbsup01
Congrats :grin:

CTDirtFisher
06-11-2011, 05:42 AM
Green Indian, two Silver, wheaties, and a cool token from from a spot that was mostly nulled out with a larger coil.... SA-WEEET!

Isn't this the best hobby eva!

Paul

trout-hunter
06-11-2011, 08:05 AM
I knew you would if you gave it another try, great finds and gotta love that coil in junkie areas. :clapping:

Tony Two-Cent
06-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Wow! Great finds! It just goes to show you, a simple change of strategy can dramatically improve results.

I found one of those Captain Midnight spinner tokens at a school yard about 25 years ago. Yours appears to be in better shape than mine though. Nice! thumbsup01

hockeyguy
06-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Nice work kress! Love finding iron AND silver together.

I have an x-5 as well but haven't done so good with it.

milco
06-11-2011, 10:36 AM
That's impressive! Congrats on some fantastic finds, and you're right very nice to get a break in the heat, it was 100 here earlier in the week.

MassDirtFisher
06-11-2011, 12:27 PM
I always wanted an X5, Very impressed with those results, with all the Iron targets strewn about. Congrats and Happy Hunting!!

coinnut
06-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Now you know why I love my x-5 coil lol It gets the job done! Real nice finds Joe |:confused:)

jkress
06-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the comments folks. I appreciate it. :)

8/ What are you trying to do? Get me into trouble? :dontknow:
You know I'm going to have to get one of those coils now

lol Not at all... but it is a very sweet coil. You'll figure something out. rofl

Isn't this the best hobby eva!

You know it man!! <:

I knew you would if you gave it another try, great finds and gotta love that coil in junkie areas. :clapping:

Thanks TT. Your post motivated me to put that baby back on. The tip about slowing way down when deciding to dig a
target really helped.

I have an x-5 as well but haven't done so good with it.

When I first started using it I did get somewhat frustrated. I was assuming it reacted to targets just like the Pro Coil... not quite so.
I'm still in the learning stages of the coil but it is making more sense than earlier in the season.

Now you know why I love my x-5 coil lol

Yep... sure do. :yes:

dave in iowa
06-12-2011, 02:57 AM
Wow Joe , great hunt , i had a hole like that last year , big old square nail spike on top , under neath was a walker , a silver quarter , a merc ,rosie and a buffalo nickle ,i was shocked , great hunt

aloldstuff
06-13-2011, 07:49 AM
Great choice of using the X5. Very cool medal and the silvers, IH, wheats found with all the trash is neat.

RobW
06-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Starting to become sold on buying an X-5..... lol

tanacat
06-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Ooooh, love the Captain Midnight membership medal :yes: That's a creative shot with the IH on the old key!

randy
06-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Sweet collection of finds there. I'll have to get me one of those X5 coils.