PDA

View Full Version : Insistent GBing On The V3i

MartinL
06-11-2011, 12:00 PM
OK, I've been reading responses, and watching videos over on that other board about a test garden. It is pretty cool how the OP made test cylinders out of PVC and clay dirt, then exhibited the results with readable tones on a mercury dime @ 10. Then the OP hit a quarter at 12, TX Boost on, and he was dinged by responses from the gods over there for his GB routine. After a follow up video, including a manual GB, the reply was that he did the GB wrong. Tell me, if the V3i says it sees the coin each time, with the GB being in auto GB tracking, how can anyone criticize the GB being done. There really has to come a time to allow believe in this high end machine's capabilities, instead of nit picking tiny details. This is why I've always been reluctant to consider posting videos over there, cuz most every time...one guru or more over there will say, THERE! That's what these newbies are doing wrong, with nothing more than one intricate detail in procedure.

This OP's videos had success in seeing a 12 quarter and a 10 buried dime, and he still was criticized for his GB results. You can't win when posting vids in most cases, unless you are one of them. Auto trak has to mean something, then what is the purpose of even having it as an arrow in your quiver? martin

v3ikid
06-11-2011, 01:54 PM
That kind of thing happens unfortunatly. I would guess and could be wrong that the time for using Auto track would be when the ground is consistantly changing under your feet. Also i would suspect that most people use lock track and only adjust every twenty or thirty minutes because doing a manual GB every so often is acceptable vs the chance of the machine trying to balance your target as ground. Seems like a good trade off.

If you had to re GB lets say every 3 or 4 minutes then Auto would probably be the way to go. I am new to the V3i so i could be wrong. All i can say is you can't argue with results no matter what anyone says. If i come up with a set up that allows me to dig silver quarters at 12 pretty consistantly then i doubt i'd worry too much about someone saying i was doing it wrong. The old saying that what works for one doesn't work for everyone.

If the guru you speak of is the one from from Florida then i understand. You can't take the V and run it in Florida the same way you would have to in other parts of the country. The way that is right is what works for you no matter how unconventional it sounds.

I believe that with the v3i there will be things figured out about this machine in the future that will go against conventional wisdom. It's that kind of machine. An expert could write a book about the ends and outs and the one thing that works for me may be something they would never encourage.

I love reading threads like this because it gives me motivation to try different things. Now i'll have to try auto track. lol

Thanks for the post Martin. :clapping:

MartinL
06-11-2011, 03:00 PM
The real kicker is that the each GB was performed right over the same spot...the spot where the female PVC sleeve was buried. Frankly, I don't believe that a new GB was even necessary, hence my title of this thread. The environment was so well controlled, yet there was a program change upon one point in the exhibition. I suppose that in order to contain as close apple to apple test as possible, GBing wasn't a bad idea. Still the results of reading the 10 dime and the 12 quarter on the first video, then again on the second which included the method of the GBing...well those replicated results makes me confident that there was nothing wrong with the GBing. That didn't stop the eventual criticism though. If my V3i would tone and PP a dime at ten inches and a quarter at 12 inches, in my soil, I'd be proud. I sure wouldn't give any thumbs down on anything is all I'm saying.

It would be nice to have this guy's setup and clay soil for me to do the same experiment for a sanity check. That's an idea, but I'd have to travel to get the clay soil, and I'd then have to make a sizable test pit of the same clay for the same testing. Might take a couple of wash tubs to design such an environment here in North Texas where the dirt is black and loose. martin

rcasio44
07-27-2011, 06:16 PM
How about a link to the video? Seems he pulled it off You Tube and all the forums. Hmm. He has a warped sense of humor. To quote him, he usually posts after a few beers. I really would like to review the video again.

By the way if you really want some of the clay, just send me the shipping costs. I live 30 miles from him. I fresh buried a dime yesterday and can get a good repeatable signal at 8. In trying to setup a new program I can hit it at RX5 so I could believe he could get hits without a good G/B. BUT did you check the VDI on his screen they were all over the place.