PDA

View Full Version : Question....

Dirt Fisher
06-11-2011, 12:13 PM
What do you do when you have been denied permission to hunt your best site ever because a friend got permission there as well and now no one is allowed on the prime hunting ground due to his going everyday, driving over planted crops, and acting like he owns the property. Also comments made about your detecting at home have caused you to just about quitting the hobby even though its really the only thing you like to do outside of family time. I'm in a real slump, almost depressed, but what does one do to keep peace. I have not been in months and it really stinks. Any advice will help in this case I'm sure.

DAN03USMC
06-11-2011, 01:55 PM
keep your chin up DF. I am very reluctant to give up my spots to others. People are greedy and once you have shown them a spot they tend to think it is theirs.......and/or they trade your spots to others to gain more places to hunt. ive been burned a few times. I hate to sound so negative, but that's just how it is.
Your friend was wrong to do what he did. Maybe you could smooth things over with the land owner by offering to help fix all the damage he made. Not in trade of detecting privileges, just to make things right. Let the land owner offer the privilege to come back. He might not, but that's not the point. If that spot is there, there must be others. Do a little scouting and research and you will have another spot.
as far as your home life goes, I don't know what to tell ya. I am still single and don't have that problem. You have to find a gold ring or something and give it to her. then she will WANT you to go detecting. good luck, Dan
if your ever up my way, I'll give you one of my spots :)

wingmaster
06-12-2011, 02:36 AM
There's other good spots to be found it may take some time to find one you can get permission to detect, you really have to watch who you take or tell about detecting locations as lots of people don't have much respect for anyone else's property. If given permission at a location to detect I feel responsible for anyone that I take there, if its someones lawn there's really few people that I feel comfortable taking there as some are just too lazy to take the time to ensure not to damage the lawn.

v3ikid
06-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Before i took a partner to someone elses land, i'd have to know they view the hobby just as i do and if they burned me they wouldn't be my hunting parner anymore. :hairpulling: I know people make mistakes and that is a case by case bases but it sounds like your situation was more neglagence then anything else. 8/ I wouldn't be happy with that. >:#

I hope you get your situation lined out and can get back out and make some great finds. thumbsup01

del
06-12-2011, 11:52 AM
i'm sorry to hear about the events with the landowner and ex-partner , i'm pretty lucky as Coinnut and i pretty much feel the same when it comes to sites . we have been both burned by other partners and neither one of us think you should have to lose a friend or new friends over a site . we both believe if we are invited to another detectorist's ( whether it be HEAVYMETALNUT'S , Angel's , Fooserpaul's or if someone we just met for the first time ) site or sites , first and for most we are their guest and will only return to that site if we are invited again . its not worth ruining a friendship over and we expect the same code to be followed if the opposite happens and we invite someone to our sites . the same goes with George he's not bound to me to detect with and is free to detect with whom ever he chooses . any sites he and i find together we share and if for some reason one of us wanted to bring some one else to these sites we would ask the other's permission and would expect that this new person follow this same code that we do once its explained to them . its a courtesy and the right thing to do in my opinion.

Dan

BOWSER
06-12-2011, 04:32 PM
keep your chin up DF. I am very reluctant to give up my spots to others. People are greedy and once you have shown them a spot they tend to think it is theirs.......and/or they trade your spots to others to gain more places to hunt. ive been burned a few times. I hate to sound so negative, but that's just how it is.
Your friend was wrong to do what he did. Maybe you could smooth things over with the land owner by offering to help fix all the damage he made. Not in trade of detecting privileges, just to make things right. Let the land owner offer the privilege to come back. He might not, but that's not the point. If that spot is there, there must be others. Do a little scouting and research and you will have another spot.
as far as your home life goes, I don't know what to tell ya. I am still single and don't have that problem. You have to find a gold ring or something and give it to her. then she will WANT you to go detecting. good luck, Dan
if your ever up my way, I'll give you one of my spots :)
I'm right here can i have1, i don't care who goes to my spots,most times i tell people about them,too many hard feelings for nothin it seems to me.

russellt
06-18-2011, 05:50 PM
if it were my friend i would punch him in the mouth and say some really ugly things about his mother .. if his behavior persists . i would beat the crap out of him and then throw rocks at him :-\

Cheap Thrills
06-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Chalk it up to experience and move on . Find some new spots and keep them to yourself .As far as the comments by the family , if you're detecting isn't imposing some kind of hardship on them suggest that they chill out . As far as the guy who wrecked your hunting loose him . If he insists on bugging you do what it takes for him to get the message .

coinnut
06-19-2011, 06:09 PM
I would write the owners a letter apologizing for your friends actions, telling them you had no idea he would be so reckless. Also tell them thank you for the time you were granted permission to go there by them, and don't ask to do the site again. Close by telling them if they ever need you to find some lost keys, tractor / farm parts or lost personal items, that you would be happy to help them free of charge. Sometimes you have to smooth over the damage and make sure they don't lump both of you in the same catagory :shocked01: As for the family taunting? lol Tell them to get a life rofl I usually find something they like and ridicule them back :clapping:

Dirt Fisher
06-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas, I do appreciate the feedback. As far as the fella ruining my spot, he understands me perfectly now and will never be a part of my locations. As far as the wife goes then still in a slump. She never says anything until she gets mad and then all of her true feelings come out and my detecting and the enjoyment I get from it was one of her issues. As a matter of fact I did not even take a detector to the beach this year and low and behold she says you should have brought your metal detector. We did make a stop at Andersonville prison in Ga. on our way home from Florida. :clapping: It was a site to see.

sandals
06-22-2011, 09:22 PM
I had been thru this myself not too long ago....things got so out of hand that I was about to give it all up, took everything out of the van, just lost all interest...friends encouraged me to get back out there and I eventually did....now tho, I hunt alone....although deep down I still love the hobby, I just don't have the same feel for it like I used to....I don't even remember the last time I went out with anyone and I always enjoyed hunting with a buddy, it was always fun to share the finds with someone right away....

BOWSER
06-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Iam very anti social,i have no desire to compete for any reason,i have always felt that way,i tried hunting with other people and have found i have more sucess hunting by myself.I even play checkers by myself,switching chairs at the table.That way i always win.When i was younger and single i would date women until one of my friends showed an interest in them or i would ask my friend to ask them out.I married very late in life, i ran out of single friends or acquaintences I am looking for a good site to go to and when i find it i will share with anyone detecting in my neighborhood.

Toadman
07-11-2011, 04:16 PM
This happens a lot dude.. Maybe take new people to iffy spots first,, See how they act before ya show them anything good,,It's fun to have tectin buddies..