PDA

View Full Version : Solo Colonial Hunt Today (and Wednesday)

coinnut
06-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Went out for 2 hours on Wednesday to try a new, more extensive Nail reject program. Scored 2 small Eagle buttons (real bad) and 2 (1864, 1865) Indian Head Cents. The program works just fine lol Today Del was doing the family thing and it was gonna rain, so I was on my own. I really didn't want to get up this morning since I have been working a lot of odd hours, but I forced myself to detect :cheesysmile: lol The rain did make me almost cancel and sleep all morning, but the site I wanted to go to was the one that gave me 7 Coppers and 2 old silvers. I really wanted to try the new program out. First target of the day was a heavy iron null and a high tone. It kept repeating, so I dug it. Got my first SILVER knee buckle |:confused:) Never found a silver knee buckle before and only my second solid silver buckle of any kind. That was on the way to the cellar hole. I worked the cellar hole for a bit and got a pewter button, pewter spoon bowl and some odds and ends. I then decided I was gonna try something that I have always wanted to try. I jumped in the hole and started to use the x-1 probe and put it in between every rock that it would fit in. It's kinda quicker than it sounds and about 3/4 of the way around, I hit paydirt :happydance01: It was kinda under and in between 2 tall stone that were at the top of the hole. After not hearing any sounds for all those rocks, it kinda scared me when I hit the target lol Solid 12-47 :smitten: :smitten:. Just scraped a pinch of dirt that was with the rocks and had an 1822 Copper in my hands This is my first official coin that the x-1 probe found, all by itself thumbsup01 thumbsup01 Not the greatest shape, but I'll take copper #8 and silver again from this place. I can only say this place likes me. Maybe it's because I promised Del's soul to the cellar Gods lol Also got a couple of cloak buttons, another pewter , a jaw harp (my first I think) :thinkingabout: and some other odds and ends. I got rained on a bit, but worth the effort. But my E Trac did not like the moisture today. It would switch from manual sensitivity to auto sensitivity back and forth at it's choosing :rolleyes: Also I couldn't use the quick mask, as it would start to move the Conductive discrimination up at will (like a stuck button) :thinkingabout: After it dried out a bit it was fine (except the dual cursors lol) Gotta love old ET, even though it has some issues, it never lets me down.

pulltabsteve
06-11-2011, 06:37 PM
WTG on forcing yourself to get out of bed this morning G. thumbsup01 It paid off well for you. The solid silver knee buckle is a way cool find :happydance01:

Good idea on using the X-1 :yes: I bet from now on you'll be using that technique :clapping:

Congrats on a good day of hunting :peace:

coinnut
06-11-2011, 07:05 PM
OK, Euphoria is short lived lol I cleaned that knee buckle and it's heavily plated :crying02: :crying02: :crying02: I knew there was a reason I don't clean my finds :thinkingabout: At least the large cent is real lol

Ill Digger
06-11-2011, 07:48 PM
You hit Pay Dirt again! thumbsup01 lol
I'd say that cellar hole likes you too :yes:
That LC is a super cool find! Especially the way you found it :clapping: 8)
And the plated buckle is still a really nice find! You know it was still probably from a well off person :yes: :dontknow:
IH's are always a welcome find too :yes:
Congrats :grin:

CTDirtFisher
06-11-2011, 08:19 PM
George out doing us all proud :-)

See you on Tuesday night !

del
06-12-2011, 11:13 AM
hey glad you got out George and it sounds like your program tweaking did a little better than before :cheering: :cheering: very nice ... the large cent looks pretty good too , and sorry you knee buckle wasn't solid silver , that place is definately good to you but maybe you should of promised the cellar gods a soul of a virgin next time and to get better rewards from them lol lol lol :teasing:

congrats on some good finds there G

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-12-2011, 04:57 PM
very nice hunt G.that knee buckle is sweet regardless if it's plated!

aloldstuff
06-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Know the feeling about getting up when its raining. Good for you and very nice hunt.

RobW
06-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Very nice George :clapping: Way to use the ol' Noggin to find that Large Cent. I would say that is definatly one good thing about your probe, unlike the propointer. It will give you a reading about what your pointing instead of just an all metal, yeah somethings here

milco
06-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Great hunt, sounds like a good spot!

jkress
06-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Awesome post George!! :clapping:
I've battled with the 'get up extra early' to detect before
I work thing. Sometimes I win, sometimes I loose. :embarrassed: lol
Looks like it was well worth the loss of sleep. Great job and jumping in the hole
and using your probe. Not sure I would have even thought of something like that. Score on the early LC!
Bummer about the silver buckle. It's still a nice piece. Is the 1864 a fat or slim?
Congrats. :clapping:

coinnut
06-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Is the 1864 a fat or slim?

It's a skinny one lol I haven't checked it for a L yet. I'll get around to cleaning them this winter, along with all my coppers from this year. Can't see waisting good detecting weather cleaning coins ;)

RobW
06-14-2011, 12:30 PM
It's a skinny one lol I haven't checked it for a L yet. I'll get around to cleaning them this winter, along with all my coppers from this year. Can't see waisting good detecting weather cleaning coins ;)

1) Wait till this winter?

2) Good detecting weather? Did you move to another state? Forecast is rain all week again! >:\

coinnut
06-14-2011, 09:13 PM
2) Good detecting weather? Did you move to another state? Forecast is rain all week again! >:\

That IS good detecting weather lol No bugs and no people.....just detecting. :daydream: :smitten: :cheesysmile: It was raining all day, when I found all that stuff thumbsup01 :clapping:

jkress
06-14-2011, 10:42 PM
It was raining all day, when I found all that stuff thumbsup01 :clapping:

Curious... what do you do to keep your headphones dry? Or don't you worry about them? I suppose I could switch
back to the phones that came with my detector if I want to hunt in the drizzle/light rain.

del
06-15-2011, 02:48 AM
hey Joe we both use the grey ghosts , they can take some abuse . i still have the first pair i bought about ten years ago and yes they still work well .

RobW
06-15-2011, 08:51 AM
No bugs and no people.....

Aren't they one in the same? lol Some are worse than others and some bite...and they are all annoying when detecting rofl

coinnut
06-15-2011, 10:42 PM
hey Joe we both use the grey ghosts , they can take some abuse . i still have the first pair i bought about ten years ago and yes they still work well .

Yep Gray Ghost, Deep Woods model for me and as most people who have hunted with me know, I get real muddy and so does the ET and the headphones lol They really do hold up well so far. I never even think about the rain on them :dontknow:

Aren't they one in the same? lol Some are worse than others and some bite...and they are all annoying when detecting rofl

<} I agree wholeheartedly :clapping: thumbsup01 thumbsup01

jkress
06-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Thank you Dan and George for the info. thumbsup01