PDA

View Full Version : biggest copper i have ever found

hockeyguy
06-11-2011, 10:58 PM
So, I am having a tough year and not finding much silver. I haven't looked as hard as previous years because we've hunted out all the local parks by now, so the hobby takes more time. not that that matters, I went to CT with the gang and struck out after a full day recently too!

Today, I Went to a very old park where many coins have been found by hunters but my 1st time. Took my neighbor, Mr. Minelab with and we scoured multiple areas of this huge piece of real estate. dug a few pieces of copper each but no coins. Maybe 3 hours in, I got a wheatie...I've never been so happy about a wheat b4! Dug plenty of ghost holes and iron too on a hunch.

After a few rain delay's, we moved on again, although I was fine with leaving. We went way down into this valley, like 300 yards downhill from the car....a steep downhill, and finally MR. Minelab calls me over. He's got a well worn 1902 barber quarter at only ~ 3 . Wow, there are actually some coins left I said to myself. 5 minutes later and I got a 00 26 that wont pinpoint as it keeps pulling me 6 away. So for the 10th time today, I decide to dig where I think it is. 3 or 4 down and out pops this large green disc. Way to large for a LC (more like a silver dollar size), I have no idea what it is, Unfortunately, it's spent and will have to soak. Actually, I think I will get a brass brush to rid some of the corrosion soon. Mr. M says its probably a hard times token.

I can see a face inside of some sort of circle and I can see letters and numbers on it. Pretty sure it says 1oo on the left as in $1.

anyone have any idea what this might be?

HH Aaron

MassDirtFisher
06-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Nice find for sure, sorry I cant ID it for you, but there are lots of others here that will help you. I tried looking at it and comparing different coin pics from the red book to it and Im stumped. Congrats on a great hunt and find. Happy Hunting!!

zrickkid
06-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Its still a cool find.

Cheap Thrills
06-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Can't even start to imagine what that coin is . I know what you mean about the places drying up .This is the poorest year I've ever had. If it wasn't that I ocassionaly dig deep junk I would swear my detectors don't work . Some of my more experienced friends are telling me the same thing also . Hope you are able to ID that coin .

jkress
06-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Man... that is one big copper. Couldn't tell you what it is but I am definitely
curious to see it when you have it cleaned up some.
Bummer that you are in a slump.
Although I know there are plenty left in the ground, but the fact is the old coins don't replenish themselves. crying01
Imagine how many silver coins are pulled out of the ground across the United States each year. Quite a few.
But... that just makes each one all the sweeter when found.
Best of luck on your next hunt Aaron.

aloldstuff
06-13-2011, 07:46 AM
That copper is cool. Hope you get an id soon.

RobW
06-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Nice find....but no clue

milco
06-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Cool find, I keep checking back to see if someone can ID it, good luck!

coinnut
06-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Can't ID it, but will take a stab and say it may be a bank token from Canada (Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Upper Canada, etc..) Not real sure that says 1.00 on it. But a real nice copper and surely looks old. Unless the coins corrode real fast there, I would say around the 1850's for a general date. Hope you get some info on it so we can all know what it really is lol

russellt
06-18-2011, 05:43 PM
what ever ity is its way cool :dontknow: