PDA

View Full Version : Counterfeit 1912 Barber

jkress
06-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Yep... found another counterfeit coin tonight. :dontknow: A 1912 Barber dime.

I finished a project earlier than expected this afternoon and got a free pass from Dana to go detecting tonight. :happydance01:

Put about an hour in at a yard I have detected a few times over the last couple of weeks. This place has produced some IH's, tokens, relics and Barbers. Signals are getting sparse there but I did find two additional keepers.

The first good target of the night I thought for sure was going to be an Indian Head. Sounded and cursor placement was right
where is should be. Out of the hole comes a very dirty Barber dime. I thought great, probably an IH in there too. But nothing
else was there. Since the Barber looked pretty funky in color, I ran it over my coil. Sure enough... lower tone like an IH.
It air tests no where near what a silver dime should be. The sound it makes when dropping it on the table top confirms it is not silver.
First a counterfeit half dollar, now this. I wonder what's next? lol
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-91.jpg
The token pictured above is the second one of it's kind I found at this site.

I also found this Chicago-Milwaukee & St. Paul rail road button in the same yard on Friday. It was pretty cruddy so I soaked it
in olive oil for a few days and cleaned it up. I'm pretty excited about this button. Thinking late 1800's? :confused:
Not sure what R and Y stand for... maybe Rail Yard?
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-92.jpg

After an hour and only two good signals I decided to spend the remaining two hours of day light at a local park.
Picked up these three silver items to round off the night.
http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-93.jpg

mike l
06-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Looks like you had a productive night. The rail road button is cool, I enjoy pulling those old buttons. I found a war of 1812 button last year and wondered who lost it and what they were doing :thinkingabout:. Nice silver finds too :beerbuddy:

dave in iowa
06-14-2011, 11:41 PM
what are the chances Joe , 2 countrfits wow . i had an old friendl ast name was krayer from dub . i wonder if theres a connection

aloldstuff
06-15-2011, 07:12 AM
2 counterfits, you are the lucky one. Congrats on the finds, really like the RR button.

milco
06-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Cool finds Joe! The button is from the Chicago, Milwaukee & St Paul Railway. (aka The Milwaukee Road) You can search the internet more, but based on that name I would say the button would date from the 1870's - late 1880's range.

RobW
06-15-2011, 08:24 AM
odd to be counterfieting dimes, even then :confused:

Some great finds and very productive day :clapping:

wolfpaw518
06-20-2011, 12:48 AM
You sound disapointed...I'd say even your counterfeits are rare collectible. :perfect10:

neil

randy
06-20-2011, 05:25 AM
Nice silver :smitten: too bad about the counterfeit >{ At least the odds now seem you won't find another one for a very long time.

coinnut
06-20-2011, 06:00 PM
You can search the internet more, but based on that name I would say the button would date from the 1870's - late 1880's range.

I agree. Looks a bit older than late 1800's, since it does not have an iron back to it. Congrats on the counterfeits!!

First a counterfeit half dollar, now this. I wonder what's next? lol

Not sure what R and Y stand for... maybe Rail Yard?

What's next?? I guess a counterfeit tax return lol as for the R & Y, maybe RailwaY
:dontknow:

Epi-hunter
06-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Really nice Joe. I would imagine the counterfeits are more rare than the real thing :clapping: