PDA

View Full Version : it pays to double check finds

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-14-2011, 11:27 PM
I dug this awhile back and it ended up in a junk finds container.just thumbing through it last night i said hmm so much detail for an aluminum thimble.took it out and straightened it out more with pliars (was kinda mashed) it was a dull aluminum color. took the tarn-x silver dip and dunked it in.silver when dipped in this stuff gives off sulpher type smell. any other metal doesn't have this reaction.so,i knew then it was silver.took my jewelers polishing cloth and shined it up.got the inside cleaned up and saw the mark way up inside. STERLING *so,it does pay off to look at your finds more carefully at times.
i have always been saying i want to dig a silver thimble and this whole time i did and didn't even know it 8/

del
06-15-2011, 02:50 AM
wow Dave , with that much carving design on it how could you not think it was made of silver 8/ . its a beauty. now can you remember when you found it lol lol

randy
06-15-2011, 05:24 AM
Wow, that's a nice one :clapping: Never seen artwork on a thimble like that before.

aloldstuff
06-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Great that you checked. I also have done that, though not with anything silver. During the winter months I check my buckets of junk metal and have found a couple of keepers.

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-15-2011, 08:05 AM
wow Dave , with that much carving design on it how could you not think it was made of silver 8/ . its a beauty. now can you remember when you found it lol lol

i don't know why Dan,it just had that bleached out aluminum look and light in weight.just assumed aluminum.ya learn somethin new everday they say. 8/

Snickerdoodle
06-15-2011, 08:16 AM
That is an awesome thimble that is on my wish list as well :loveit:

RobW
06-15-2011, 08:48 AM
That is a nice thimble, lots o' detail..very nice...see you can treasure hunt in your junk and still find good stuff lol

Ill Digger
06-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Nice catch Dave! thumbsup01
That does have some very nice details! thumbsup01
Very intricate :yes:
Congrats :grin:
I found my first silver thimble this year too. :yes: Mine ain't quite as nice :dontknow: :rolleyes: lol

coinnut
06-15-2011, 10:29 PM
That is a gorgeous thimble Dave :loveit: :loveit:. I bet that cost some guy a pretty penny for the misses |:confused:) A beauty for sure. |:confused:)

Tony Two-Cent
06-16-2011, 09:28 AM
That is a very cool thimble! I love the engraving on it: the old bridge, lighthouse, etc. I bet it's old.

Thanks for sharing! I love reading posts like this!

mike l
06-16-2011, 11:17 AM
So much detail, very nice :clapping:

jkress
06-16-2011, 09:37 PM
I bet that was a very nice surprise. :yes: :clapping:
A very nice looking one too.
I've got quite a few things piling up in my 'check these out later' bucket. :rolleyes:
Nice way to find one that was on your list.

sniffy
06-18-2011, 06:54 PM
I'd trade ya three for that one!!! :grin: