PDA

View Full Version : In expensive yet high quality headphones

Relic Whisperer
06-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Looking for a set of quality headphones, but don't want to break ther bank? Try checking out your local anitique shops. Most (especially the ones with inside vendor booths) will have a set or two of vintage headphones from the 70's and they work well with your detector. Back in the day when things were made to last the quality of headphones was much better than today believe it or not. In the era of the HI-FI, headphones were crucial and they were buily like a tank. I just purchased a set of Realistic brand headphones from the 70's for $15 and they are better than my other detector headphones not to mention the investment risk is low. Take a look next time you happen in one of these shops. At a minimum a great spare to have.

marinedad
06-18-2011, 11:27 PM
sounds like a good idea, i probably have a set around here from days of old. got a broken wire in my pro golds.

coinnut
06-19-2011, 07:08 PM
That's a great idea. :clapping: I used to have a set of headphones from the 80's for my stereo and borrowed them for my detector :embarrassed: . Technique headphones, I think :confused: All I remember is that the straight cord was like a mile long lol It was thin too and they lasted me for a long, long time. Then I got a free set of Koss headphones with my new detector and the fell apart within 2 weeks. You are correct, older is better. Great idea on the antique shops. thumbsup01

Relic Whisperer
06-20-2011, 08:08 AM
Not only built to last, but they cover your whole ear for better isolation and have some volumn to them. They are bigger and a little hevier, but worht it.

OxShoeDrew
08-18-2011, 10:01 AM
You are so right....I buy headphones in bulk for my job and go through MANY every year. I found an old (calico?) pair from the 1960s that just won't die. :)
I'm guessing the real experienced detectors might need better sound quality...but just a guess. As for me, I just need to distinguish between beep and bop....or was that bop and beep. I'm always bopping when I should be beeping. :-)

ARTIE
12-25-2011, 10:46 AM
GREAT IDEA.

Zip Zip
01-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Main thing about good detector phones is,,,the ability to muffle down or block out,outside noise. Plus,good detector phones have a 150 impedance .

skrapman
01-27-2012, 04:54 PM
thanks for the tip, i already broke a few pairs and just dropped 100 bucks last season for a new top of the line pair.Before these crap out i will look around at yard sales.