PDA

View Full Version : Silver is Impossible

z118
06-15-2011, 07:40 PM
My slow year for detecting continues... even now that the weather has improved work has picked up quite a bit. I'm not getting in that many hunts and even when I do I seem to be stuck in the rut of hunting the same old spots over and over.

At any rate, I was going to go in to work tonight to try to catch up, but the weather was so nice I scratched that idea and headed out detecting instead. I didn't really have any spot in mind so I wasn't expecting much, but then I remembered what I had seen that morning. Down the street from my house is an old park built in the 1920's. I tried hunting there several times but the place is swampy, riddled with trash, and always made the Sov and E-trac go absolutely nuts. Neither machine would hold a steady threshold there and the falsing was always insufferable. But this morning I noticed they had scraped away a large section of turf along a small slope against the road for some sort of construction. So I gave it a shot.

It was odd hunting. The E-trac was not happy in this spot, I ran in straight auto and the highest sensitivity it went to was 14. It is quite different hunting in scraped dirt vs grassy turf, and took a bit of getting used to. Long story short, I wound up with 24 coins total, which included 8 wheats, and 1939 nickel, and a dateless Buffalo. I also dug a nifty older looking key and eyeballed a nice porcelain (I think) button. You'd think I would have gotten some silver... I can't tell you how thrilled I would have been with a Rosie or dare I dream a Merc. But still it was nice to get out. I'll no doubt hit this spot again and keep an eye on whatever construction they are doing there.

Anyway... happy hunting!

milco
06-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Very nice hunt! I like to hunt construction sites like that, hope you get some more hunting in there soon and score some silver!

jkress
06-15-2011, 10:09 PM
That's a nice bunch of finds Z. :clapping: I love finding those
older, more decorative keys. I always keep those and toss the newer ones.
Congrats on the Buffalo and wheats. I think you are only a couple of holes
away from silver at that park. :yes:

coinnut
06-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Sweet finds!!! If you can, I would go back in TTF and put the sensitivity on 26. Use a small coil if you have it. Put up with any falsing and chirping that you may get. I tried auto -3 up to auto +1 at a cellar hole lip and I got almost no targets. I put it in manual and the place come alive lol Mostly nails grunting at me, but a couple of non ferrous targets came up too. Scraping at a park is a real nice way to get those old, masked coins. :clapping:

hockeyguy
06-15-2011, 11:42 PM
I understand and share your frustration Z, but believe me it's out there! Merc's and rosies aren't much to ask for. You might have to face the fact (like I have) :white:usaflag:: that you must travel to find new grounds. My nearest new spot is an hour away. Maybe we'll meet up there and find some stuff together. If we don't we can at least share in the disgust! (I did pull a barber dime there the other day) :white:usaflag::

Cheap Thrills
06-16-2011, 12:22 AM
I feel your pain it sounds like we are in the very same rut and I'm sure we are not alone . Nice going on your finds. A Buffalo always puts a smile on my face .I think this new spot probably has a bit of silver with your name on it .I'd do what George ( coinnut) suggested and try a small coil there .Good Luck !! thumbsup01

randy
06-16-2011, 05:19 AM
At least you know that site isn't hunted out. I agree manual all the way -- there must be some silver there somewhere. I've had days like that where all you get is wheaties, but the next day it evens out with mostly silver. Good luck.

aloldstuff
06-16-2011, 07:07 AM
Reading the replies to your post, I am in the same situation. No new places to go. Also in agreement that silver awaits you at that site. Congrats on the wheats and buff.

zrickkid
06-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Keep up the hunt. All silver is not deep as all the ones I found this year (9) have been no deeper than 5 inches at the most. It just depends where you go and what signals you dig. :angelic: