PDA

View Full Version : Finally

bob_e99
06-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Well, after finding a non-descript object that looked very much like a large cent, I continued to detect in an area loaded with trash until I finally decided it was time to find someplace different and someplace where my son (Z118) hadn't already cleaned out. Up until now all I've been finding is lots of trash and a lot of pennies. This morning I rowed out to a small island where kids like to party so I figured at the least I might find some small change. Not that I wanted to find small change but I need the practice of actually finding something. I found my usually pennies (2), my first dime since I've been soloing and my second dime which I show below:

Tony Two-Cent
06-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Hey! Congrats on the Barber Dime! That's a great coin! I hope it is the first of many for you!

Never would I have thought to hunt on an island. Is this island in a river or lake? Way to go, thinking outside the box and making a nice find! :clapping:

z118
06-16-2011, 12:57 PM
AWESOME FIND! How sweet did that silver look when you first saw it? But I'll tell you where to go with your finally! lol I dug thousands of coins before finding any kind of silver, and likely about 20,000 coins before I found a Barber. You are off to a great start! You may be on to something ignoring my endless chatter about hunting schools. I'd certainly be rowing back to that little island soon. Even if there's nothing else it sure is a beautiful, quiet place to hunt. I'm guessing you pulled up in that little landing area of sorts... not sure how long that's been there, but it might be worth checking in the water around there. The coil is submersible, just don't get the box wet. Folks may have dropped things pulling boats onto shore and pushing them back out again.

What a great dig! You'd better hope I find something soon or I'm going to be driving home to get that Sov back!!! lol

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

bob_e99
06-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Thank you Tony. The island is on a lake and it's a really small one near the opposite shore from where I live. Actually, if it's a really dry summer and the water level drops enough, I believe you can walk to the 'island' from the nearest shoreline.

Matt, my legs are still doing the happy jigg. It's just as you said, there is nothing like turning over some dirt and finding a piece of silver looking back at you especially after all the bottle caps, various electrical connectors, screw lids, pieces of aluminum, etc. etc. etc.

:happydance01: <:

del
06-16-2011, 01:41 PM
:clapping: :clapping: very nice barber , congrats Bob :cheering:

RobW
06-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Very nice congrats! I don't know about rowing to a spot...but it seems to have paid off :clapping:

zrickkid
06-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Very cool looking Barber. Cant wait to find one of those. :happydance01:

jkress
06-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Score!!! That dime was definitely worth the row. Love those Barbers. :loveit:
I'm guessing you might be rowing for more silver pretty soon. :yes:
A big congrats to you.

aloldstuff
06-17-2011, 06:56 AM
Yup, hooked you are. Very nice find, love those Barbers

coinnut
06-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Nice coin. Seems like they have been using that island for quite a while. I would think that the barber was probably lost sometime in the 20's or 30's due to the wear on it. I bet there is more in that location and hopefully, it was a place to hang out in the day :clapping:

randy
06-17-2011, 05:44 PM
That is one sweet find :clapping: Between the two of you, i don't think the silver is safe in that neck of the woods.

MassDirtFisher
06-17-2011, 05:50 PM
Congrats on the silver! Happy Hunting!!

russellt
06-18-2011, 05:32 PM
:cheering: thats a quality find there