PDA

View Full Version : Member Article - The Anatomy Of A Parkway Strip

angellionel
06-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Just wanted to let all members know that Jack (CyberSage) has written a very helpful, practical, and informative article on detecting parkway strips. The article, The Anatomy Of A Parkway Strip (http://www.americandetectorist.com/parkway_01.shtml), has been posted at the American Detectorist home page. The article has been split into four parts. Links to the rest of the article are included at the bottom of each article page. Enjoy!

Thank you for your excellent contribution, Jack!

fsa46
06-19-2011, 01:24 PM
I really enjoyed reading that artical, thanks for posting it Angel. :clapping:

Also, a big thanks to you, Jack....not only for writing it but for the great job in which it was presented. :perfect10:

milco
06-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Very nicely written, thanks for the contribution. I live in a neighborhood built up in the 1920's, I think I need to start right close to home.

SeabeeRon
06-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Good job Jack!! :perfect10:

RobW
06-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Very nice article :clapping: I too do some curbing. I also do Island Hopping...that median in the road and I have pulled some great keepers from there, including the One Reale that I found earlier this year.

aloldstuff
06-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Curbing can keep me close to home

MartinL
06-20-2011, 12:35 PM
I read this rather quickly, so maybe I missed it if it was there somewhere...did Jack say anything about methodology for tecting up next to reinforced cement? It sure plays hell with pinpointing.

Superbly written article Jack! I'll study this in more depth.Thanks. martin

CyberSage
06-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Martin,
If you look towards the bottom of page two, just above The Play Zone , you should see the comments on technique. This should work around wire mesh reinforcement.

Jack

Viking
06-20-2011, 05:08 PM
That article is very well written and helpful. Thanks for putting it together! :beerbuddy:

CyberSage
06-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Thank you Viking. It was a fun article to write. You will notice that most of the pictures show my trusty DFX and Super12 coil. I found a lot of great stuff over the course of a year or so. I still hit a parkway every once in awhile. Good times for sure.

Jack

Lowjiber
06-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Jack's article is one of the most insightful and complete tutorials I've ever seen written for detecting. Even if you don't have the opportunity to hit parkways, his article is full of methods to make the reader better at dealing with the general public.

Great Job, Jack!!! thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01

SHIMMER77502
06-27-2011, 12:54 PM
I can't say anything about other parts of the country, but in Pasaena, Texas the area between the sidewalk and the street is the property of the homeowner. The utility companies have easement rights but it is the homeowner who is responsible for the maintenance. I would be HIGHLY ticked if I saw someone digging on my property. Now the median strip is another story......

CyberSage
06-27-2011, 06:58 PM
... and this is exactly why I put such a high emphasis on knowing your local laws and working with the adjacent property owner. You would be foolhardy to blindly go out and start detecting parkway strips without doing your research. The larger the town the more likely that they have on-line maps showing public, and private easements. This is a great place to start your research. We do not want the property owners HIGHLY ticked. lol

Jack