PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on age?

bob_e99
06-20-2011, 07:44 AM
I was detecting in the woods pretty much away from anything (too nice a day to be indoors so I had to have the detector in my hands) and I found this buried pretty deep (about 10 inches). I'm assuming it's a buckle of some type but am curious if anyone can provide more information about it.

Thanks.
Bob

z118
06-20-2011, 07:57 AM
That is one nice buckle. I'm no expert but it look OLD to me. Hopefully one of the relic guys on the forum will chime in with their thoughts. Great dig!

As we discussed I'm more of a quantity over quality guy so I very much admire your ability to hunt and maybe only make one or two finds but possibly very good ones. I've always been all about a pocket full of finds even if its all just modern clad (which it usually is).

I can't wait to hear what the experts think of that buckle!

bob_e99
06-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks Matt. The location where I found it was not a place where people frequented. No beer cans, pop tops, old bottles or other garbage which typically shows up in a dump site for trash or a drinking spot for teenagers. So based on that and the dept, I'm also inclined to think that it's old and I'm also hoping that someone with more knowledge will chime in.

RobW
06-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Nice buckle. Looks colonial to me.

del
06-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Nice buckle. Looks colonial to me.

good guess Rob :clapping: :clapping:

hey Bob you have a very nice and old shoe buckle it is the single pointed tongue and chape variety which makes it atleast 291 years old or older . its very rare to have a complete one as the inside parts (chape & tongue ) usually are rusted out or broken. your buckle can be acurately dated from the late 1600's to about the 1720's . a great find congrats again Bob .

question ... do the parts move freely or not :huh:

Dan

bob_e99
06-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Thank you Rob and thank you Del. When I said I thought it was old, I figured about early 1900's or something but you just blew me away. And yes, everything moves very freely which also surprised me somewhat. The soil where I found it though had very good drainage and not surrounded by pine trees like most of the area normally is so the acidity level was probably very low. It was right beside a very tall oak tree.

I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to respond to my question. Thanks again.

Bob

del
06-20-2011, 02:24 PM
hey Bob thats great that it moves freely (it means the center pin is made of brass too and not iron like most ) if you put the shoe buckle next to something i can get a size reference i could probably tell you if it was closer to the 1690's or 1720's .

:embarrassed: oops i just saw the quarter :blush:
by looking at the size again i'd say its very early 1700's to about 1720 (after 1720 they started using the double pointed chape and forked tongue type )

Dan

RobW
06-21-2011, 07:56 AM
good guess Rob :clapping: :clapping:

Dan

It's only because I've been reading George, yours and Dave's posts...been edumacating myself lol

del
06-21-2011, 11:57 AM
It's only because I've been reading George, yours and Dave's posts...been edumacating myself lol

mine !!! come on now Rob you know i don't find anything , i just go out for the fun of it . :teasing: lol lol lol

z118
06-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Wow! Being close to 300 years old and in such nice shape, does it have any monetary value to a collector?

del
06-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Wow! Being close to 300 years old and in such nice shape, does it have any monetary value to a collector?

it might Z , i've been offered up to $150.00 apiece for a couple of mine

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-21-2011, 03:36 PM
i got the twin to that one right here thumbsup01
on second glance nope.but a close cousin rofl

bob_e99
06-21-2011, 07:08 PM
That's amazing to see one that looks so similar. Your buckle has double 'spikes' in the front and double 'spikes' on the swivel units whereas I just have single. Thank you for posting the picture. Did you clean yours in any way? I was afraid to do anything to mine.

Bob

del
06-21-2011, 07:19 PM
That's amazing to see one that looks so similar. Your buckle has double 'spikes' in the front and double 'spikes' on the swivel units whereas I just have single. Thank you for posting the picture. Did you clean yours in any way? I was afraid to do anything to mine.

Bob

Dave's buckle is just after yours around the 1720 to maybe 1730's as the frame is very similar to yours , is still on the smaller size but has the double tined or forked tongue and double pointed chape . over time shoe buckles went from very plain and small to more ornate and larger types with the fashion styles of the periods , the very later examples are larger still and have a very curved shape about them .

yes Dave how did you clean yours :huh:

RobW
06-22-2011, 10:32 AM
mine !!! come on now Rob you know i don't find anything , i just go out for the fun of it . :teasing: lol lol lol

I never said your finds. I said your posts. Whereby alluding to your comments on others finds....more particularly George's rofl :poke:

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-23-2011, 12:43 PM

Bob

just a soft toothbrush and soap with water,that black crud you have on yours will flake right off. i sprayed mine with hairspray to keep that green patina on.yours don't have that so no worries.
congrats on a sweet buckle!

bob_e99
06-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Thank you for the cleaning information and thanks again for posting a picture of the one you found. It was very informative.

And Del, thanks again for the history of the buckle. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and I will use the correct terminology in future references to the buckle.
:embarrassed:

Bob

midas
06-25-2011, 03:18 PM
I usually throw junk like that into my junk bucket. Might have to take a second look. I'm sure I have a couple of those. Thanks for the info.