PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water Detectors

LIBear
06-22-2011, 05:48 AM
I have been detecting for a while now but I have the desire to hunt in the water. I have picked 3 detectors that I am considering. Can anyone who owns one of these or more give some info.

Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II

Whites surf DF

Teroso Sand Shark

Thanks everyone

Lowjiber
06-22-2011, 06:57 AM
I debated on responding since I don't actually own any of the three models you mentioned...as you specified in the question. However, I have some thoughts and experiences that I'll share.

I've used a Surfmaster (not DF) a lot. White's been making the series for many years and the physical configuration has been time-tested...they simply don't leak. I know several folks who hunt the DF model and they all swear by them from a depth perspective. The DF warranty is only two years.

After looking at the specs, the Garrett seems to be the least attractive of the three. It only has a one year warranty. Fixed sensitivity (vice adjustable in the other two) is a definite drawback IMHO. I'm also a fan of hard-wired coils and headsets...vice the waterproof connectors of the Garrett. The Garret is also over a pound heavier that the other two machines.

The Sand Shark is a very popular machine. The Lifetime Warranty that is a mainstay of all Tesoro machines is a definite plus IMHO. The Voltage Controlled Oscillator (VCO) function is a nice addition to a PI machine. Of the three, the TS is the only one with adjustable volume...again, a nice feature.

If I were to line them up in order of preference, I'd pick...
1. Sand Shark
2. Surfmaster DF
3. Garrett Sea Hunter (distant third)

BTW: It may seem odd that a guy in Nevada is making comments about beach machines. :rolleyes: We have a second home in Florida (6 miles from the Atlantic) and I've spent a lot of time in the surf off Santa Cruz, California. I just moved from California about eighteen months ago.

Relic Whisperer
06-22-2011, 07:39 AM
Just like you, I to wanted to get in the water and detect. After researching for months and looking at my wallet, I went with the Sand Shark. The Sand Shark is AWSOME. It is a turn on an go machine with great depth. I tell my friends that the good news about the Sand Shark is that it finds everything and the bad news is that it finds everything. I dont mind digging everything anyway even with my XLT so it doesn't bother me. I have only had it about a month and have not been able to hunt much, but I realy like it and the Tesoro people are really great and a lifetime warrantee to boot! I have heard mixed reviews about the White's Surf DF. I also contemplated the Garrett Sea Hunter, but the lifetime warrantee won me over. You probably cant go wrong with any of these 3, but my vote would be Sand Shark. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your finds posted.