PDA

View Full Version : Legal Question

bob_e99
06-22-2011, 07:08 AM
I was just curious to know that if someone finds something truly historic (for example a silver cup made by Paul Revere - ridiculous but just an example), does any government (city/town, state, federal) have the authority to confiscate the item if found on land not considered to be a historic site?

I haven't found anything close to historic, but with all the metal detecting going on, there must be someone who has found something truly historic.

Thanks.

Bob

RobW
06-22-2011, 08:42 AM
No, unless you are on gov't property (state and federal parks), it's yours. And sometimes, if you are on public property (like parks, curbs, etc) it can generally be yours. If you are on private property, and find something of that magnatude, you may have to fight with the owner of the property, but that's only if they know. :lipssealed: So basically it depends........how's that coming from a lawyer...that'll be $200 rofl

bob_e99
06-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Thank you Rob for the response. If I ever make a great find, I'll be sure to take a GPS reading so I know whose land I'm on. lol

MassDirtFisher
06-22-2011, 03:07 PM
No, unless you are on gov't property (state and federal parks), it's yours. And sometimes, if you are on public property (like parks, curbs, etc) it can generally be yours. If you are on private property, and find something of that magnatude, you may have to fight with the owner of the property, but that's only if they know. :lipssealed: So basically it depends........how's that coming from a lawyer...that'll be $200 rofl

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

russellt
06-23-2011, 07:15 PM
being an attorney you should charge folks for replying to your post .. as long as you dont tell anyone its finders , keepers :->

aloldstuff
06-24-2011, 09:20 AM
Hope you pay Rob cause then he can stop stripping on the side

BOWSER
06-24-2011, 09:33 AM
rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl please pm me you're address i am being charged with hibodery and mopery,i need a lawyer badly. Incidenteley WILLIAM DAWES made the famous ride not REVERE, revere got the credit for it.The pilgrims did not land at PLYMOUTH ROCK,they lande4d at the town now knon as EASTHAM and later moved toPLYMOUTH build the colony.

midas
06-24-2011, 07:52 PM
We are all Pirates. Came across this law which is on the books of every state-

Theft of lost property - Definition.

A person commits the crime of theft of lost property if he actively obtains or exerts control over the property of another which he knows to have been lost or mislaid, or to have been delivered under a mistake as to the identity of the recipient or as to the nature or the amount of the property, and with intent to deprive the owner permanently of it, he fails to take reasonable measures to discover and notify the owner.

So everything we find we have to try to find the owner or we are breaking the law!