PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected type of silver

z118
06-22-2011, 07:35 PM
I got out for a short hunt tonight in some unpleasantly humid conditions. I headed to the nearby park construction area. They have already covered over most of the areas with gravel and fill, but they moved some stuff around too which exposed some new areas. My first target gave a nice 12-46 signal but only over the smallest of areas and only in one direction. The target was only 3 or 4 inches down and at most 6 inches from the road. It took me a bit to figure out what it was. I looked like a quarter in the hole but the design was not right and it was heavily tarnished so it did not look like silver. Long story short, it's a 1928 Canadian quarter. This is my oldest dated quarter, which I find to be a bit ironic and kind of annoying. This would have been only my second SLQ had it been a US coin. The only other noteworthy find for the evening was a '36 wheat, plus an unidentified item which was the second I've found at this spot. Any thoughts on what they are would be appreciated.

Happy hunting.

BOWSER
06-22-2011, 08:14 PM
wow if you don't like it ,send it to me i love the design and the detailed features. :clapping: i think you have a couple of wiskey shot containers, old drunks never carried glass.

z118
06-22-2011, 08:18 PM
wow if you don't like it ,send it to me i love the design and the detailed features. :clapping:

lol I should choose my words better I guess... I'm please as punch with this coin! It's just funny to me that my oldest dated quarter to this point would be a Canadian coin! A nice SLQ (dare I dream with a date) has been on my wish list for some time!

jkress
06-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Wow... very nice quarter. I'd love to add a silver Canadian to my collection.
She's an absolute beauty.
Congrats Z.

lol I should choose my words better I guess... I'm please as punch with this coin! It's just funny to me that my oldest dated quarter to this point would be a Canadian coin! A nice SLQ (dare I dream with a date) has been on my wish list for some time!

I understand where you are coming from. :yes: My only SLQ is dateless. But, if I had a choice between digging a dated SLQ or an old Canadian quarter... I think I would pick Canadian. Haven't dug any silver coins from Canada yet.

Ill Digger
06-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Nice finds Z! thumbsup01
I like the older style Canadian coins...mostly because it's the older ones lol
Congrats :grin:

aloldstuff
06-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Aren't the older Canadian silvers usually very well worn on the dated side. Yours looks excellent. That SLQ will arrive eventually. Congrats

RobW
06-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Nice finds..even if the best one is Canadian. I love the old Canadian designs. They just don't design coins like they use to ( both US & Canada)..then again they don't do anything like they use to, quality in everything is gone.

bob_e99
06-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Nice finds..even if the best one is Canadian. I love the old Canadian designs. They just don't design coins like they use to ( both US & Canada)..then again they don't do anything like they use to, quality in everything is gone.

AMEN! In regard to your statement reqarding quality and coins.

Very nice find Matt. I wish they were doing that park when I was there. And being so close to home really makes it sweeter.

coinnut
06-23-2011, 06:36 PM
Love the old Canadian quarter. :peace: I have found newer ones and some dimes, but never an older quarter. That is a nice surprise :smitten: But I hear you on the SLQ with a date lol Most of the time they are worn flat. But I think you found a real nice quarter. :happydance01:

russellt
06-23-2011, 07:17 PM
unexpected but welcome im sure .. very nice canuck silver

Kim
06-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Just dug a Canadian one cent wish it was your quarter. Looks so cool!!