PDA

View Full Version : 1865 2 Center

jkress
06-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Was hunting with Dave today and having another one of those days where I was struggling to find good signals. :confused:
Dave was obviously :yes: doing very well in the section he was hunting, but I just couldn't get the ball rolling. So off I went roaming a big open
area that seemed like it should hold some keepers.

I heard a deep broken signal that caught my attention. Circled the target for a little bit trying to get a better reading. It was repeatable and deep so I decided to go after it. After removing several scoops with my digger, the pinpointer finally identified something dead center in the hole.
Turned out to be my first 2 cent coin. :happydance01: It is in extremely nice shape with lots of detail.

http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-97.jpg

http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2011/pictures/picture-98.jpg

I am really happy with this one. :yes:

Also found some wheats and a ring stamped 14k GF & Sterling.

coinnut
06-24-2011, 09:56 PM
WOW :shocked04: That one is just like the one Del found a while ago. Yours may even be better than his (If that is even possible). What a great coin :smitten: Love the color and the detail is stunning |:confused:) |:confused:) It may even be a proof coin!! :loveit:

Epi-hunter
06-24-2011, 10:03 PM
That looks like right off the mint!!!

OMG... that is my dream coin. Congratulations Joe! An incredible find!!!

wingmaster
06-24-2011, 10:24 PM
That 2 center is in awesome shape, congrats on it and your first.

xzlr8n
06-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Congrats on an awesome looking 2 center. Nice green coloring.

milco
06-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Big congrats on a stunning find! That one is just awesome! The 2 cent pieces are just neat coins if you ask me. Good luck next time back at that field roaming around!

MassDirtFisher
06-24-2011, 10:51 PM
:omg: That looks like you minted it last night in your basement. rofl rofl rofl
Congrats on a BEAUTY!! Nicest 2 center I have seen in a while. Happy Hunting!!

angellionel
06-24-2011, 11:38 PM
That is one very beautiful 2-Cent piece, Joe! I love the toning on it. Clearly you have some fine soil at that location. :yes:

Jeff (or)
06-24-2011, 11:54 PM
Excellent find!!!! happydance02 <: :beerbuddy:

dave in iowa
06-25-2011, 03:05 AM
wow Joe , thats even nicer that i thought , what a coin , we are definetly going back to that place thumbsup01

fsa46
06-25-2011, 05:29 AM
That coin is in awesome condition, congratulations on a great find.

I sure wish they came out of the ground looking like that here in Connecticut. :-\

aloldstuff
06-25-2011, 06:47 AM
Excellent looking coin, awesome. Congrats

CyberSage
06-25-2011, 11:17 AM
You don't see them come out of the ground like this to often. Very nice coin.

agbkyle
06-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Holy cow that is in great shape! Congrats. It's my dream find too. I will not rest until I find one ;)

BOWSER
06-25-2011, 06:54 PM
i want one of those :drool:

jkress
06-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the comments folks. I am still pretty excited. After pulling it from the hole I gave a little rub and saw the '2 Cents'. Immediately assumed I found an old foreign coin. Rubbed just a little more and noticed 'States'. That's when it hit me. <:
Looked over at Dave who was about 50 meters away and threw my arms up in victory. That's when I noticed he was doing even more celebrating over there. He was waving me over so I filled the hole and went over. He met me about half way and asked what I found. Showed him and he congratulated me and said you have to see what I just found... Morgan silver dollar!! <:

OMG... that is my dream coin. Congratulations Joe! An incredible find!!!

I didn't even have it on my wish list. Figured they were pretty rare around here.

:omg: That looks like you minted it last night in your basement. rofl rofl rofl

lol How did you know that. :confused: Stay tuned in because I will be finding a Draped Bust silver dollar and a Half Cent in the next couple of weeks. :yes:
I planned on finding a Morgan dollar tomorrow, but I gave that one to a buddy to find the other day. lol

Clearly you have some fine soil at that location. :yes:

A big part of where I was digging was rich black soil. The kind that falls apart easily when squeezed. :smitten:

wild willy
06-26-2011, 05:44 AM
wow!! very nice. willy

Tony Two-Cent
06-26-2011, 07:37 AM
That is truly a gorgeous coin! Holy cow! Such incredible detail and beautiful green color!

One of my favorite coins, in case you couldn't tell by my forum handle. :grin:

Maybe someday I will find one too. http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/893crossfingers-thumb.gif

blackhole
06-26-2011, 08:01 AM
thumbsup01 Great looking coin!!! congrats.

del
06-26-2011, 08:08 PM
:shocked04: :shocked04: wow Joe that 2-center is a stunner :drool: :smitten: :smitten: :perfect10: , you couldn't ask for a better one from the ground . i wish all the non-silver coins were made of bronze like them 2 cent coins . huge congrats on your first one . :cheering: :cheering:

Ill Digger
06-26-2011, 09:19 PM
:shocked04: :shocked04: wow Joe that 2-center is a stunner :drool: :smitten: :smitten: :perfect10: ,
:shocked04: You got that right Dan! :yes:

I gotta tell ya Joe I'm a little :envious: !! Your just rifling through my wish list :shocked04: :crying02:

Top 10 list:
1) Gold coin (any denomination)
2) Spanish silver (any denomination)
3) Silver dollar
4) Trime (3 cent silver)
5) Half dime
6) Standing Liberty quarter
7) 2 cent piece
8) Officers belt plate
9) a nice big old brass skeleton key
10) some nice gold jewlery

If I found two out of the top 7 I'd be tickled !! Heck give me one and watch me <: :happydance01: happydance02 :peace: :cheering:
Your having a great season Joe!! I'm truly happy for ya! :clapping:
Congrats :grin:
And I gotta agree with the others too. Thats gotta be the nicest 2 center I've seen come outta the ground! :yes: :drool: :drool: :drool:

coinnut
06-27-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm still leaning towards a proof coin. :thinkingabout: I have never seen a normal production coin come in that sharp in all areas. Everytime I look at it, it still surprises me on how deep and even that strike is :shocked04: :shocked04:

jkress
06-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Maybe someday I will find one too. http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I really hope you do. It was quite exciting when I realized what it was. :smitten:

i wish all the non-silver coins were made of bronze like them 2 cent coins .

Me too. They sure hold up well and develop such a nice patina.

Your just rifling through my wish list :shocked04: :crying02:

You have quite the wish list. Most of what you have on there I dare not think about digging up. lol
If I could possibly find two more items on your list I'd be one very, very happy camper.

I have never seen a normal production coin come in that sharp in all areas.

Thanks again George. Once I cleaned away all the dirt, I was simply shocked at how much detail was remaining on this coin.
My first LC was in terrible shape. So digging such a nice example of my first 2 Cent Piece is very exciting. :yes:

tanacat
07-01-2011, 06:47 PM
:omg: Congrats on one heck-of-a-fantastic coin Joe!!! How exciting!!! :happydance01: It's in such good condition and the year is so special too, being the end of CW.

So have you taken it to a dealer to inquire about George's suspicion that it's a proof?

jkress
07-01-2011, 09:16 PM
So have you taken it to a dealer to inquire about George's suspicion that it's a proof?

Actually I didn't think of doing that. I need to pick up more coin flips soon, so when I stop in to buy those, I'll bring the coin too. thumbsup01

Thanks again everyone and thank you to the staff for the banner votes. :)

russellt
07-02-2011, 05:15 PM
:perfect10: :perfect10: stunning

Dirt Fisher
07-03-2011, 09:20 AM
I can't say anything that has not already been said but that is probably the nicest coin that I have ever seen of the 2 cent type. Totally awesome!!!

Outlaw 1-3
07-03-2011, 10:27 AM
That is an amazingly beautiful coin with some wonderful patina! Congrats!

rsarge1
07-03-2011, 02:53 PM
:omg: WOW!! awesome find wtg

Ill Digger
07-03-2011, 08:56 PM
You have quite the wish list. Most of what you have on there I dare not think about digging up. lol
If I could possibly find two more items on your list I'd be one very, very happy camper.
:eyebrow: Shoot! If you find 2 more items from my wish list I'm coming to Iowa!! :yes: lol