PDA

View Full Version : When a penny means a lot

bob_e99
06-27-2011, 06:29 PM
I went out today to an a practice football field and just found four dimes and three pennies - all clad. Tonight after supper I couldn't sit still so decided to treck through the woods next to my house where I found the non-descript item in another post. I only found one item - a penny and it's not in great shape but I was happy as a lark. At least this time, there's enough detail to identify it. :grin:

Thanks

Bob

MassDirtFisher
06-27-2011, 06:35 PM
CONGRATS!!! Way to go Bob!! Large Cents always make my day!! Happy Hunting!!

del
06-27-2011, 06:41 PM
congrats Bob :happydance01: , you saved th old gal from a certain death .

Kimster
06-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Very cool!

trout-hunter
06-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Nice large, I jumped for joy when I found my one and only recently. :clapping:

fsa46
06-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Good for you Bob, looks like the coins I find.LOL

I had a coin in that condition ( possibly worse ) and couldn't make an ID. I placed a piece of paper over it and ran a lead pencil over it and I couldn't believe the good impression I got on both sides. It turned out to be a 1786 Connecticut Copper.

Give it a try , you may be surprised. Let us know the results should you decide to do it.

coinnut
06-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Nice score on the large cent :happydance01: At least you know the area is OLD :drool: :drool: Love finding them large coppers thumbsup01

z118
06-27-2011, 10:21 PM
What a great dig! You've made three great finds now in a pretty short time and without digging nearly the amount of targets I did before finding stuff like that. Pretty stinking good giving that you really only started swinging this Spring! With some more digging and some good sites I get the feeling you'll be putting me to shame pretty soon with some great finds. Then I'm going to have to take my Sov back!

It's interesting how some of the detail on that coin seems so pronounced through the corrosion. I wonder how much of it would come off if you tried to clean it up a bit? You'd hate to loose the recognizable features but it would be nice to get a date off it.

Anyway, congrats! :clapping:

jkress
06-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Excellent!! :clapping:
Yep, I'd say that penny is a great one.
Congrats on the LC Bob. :peace:

aloldstuff
06-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Bob, congrats on that LC. Hooked, hooked, hooked. Welcome to the madness

bob_e99
06-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Del,

I didn't think of it like that, but that thought adds a whole new dimension to detecting. That coin would have corroded away if it stayed where it was. Sad to think of all the ones not found.

trout-hunter,

It is very satisfying to see something like this pop out of the ground. It's an amazing high and now I understand how z118 felt all these years.

fsa46,

Yes, wood hunting in this area usually means very acidic soil. Not conducive to copper coin preservation. I tried the pencil and paper idea that you suggested but couldn't get any details. I'm trying some very mild cleaning ideas mentioned on this site but no real success yet. I won't try anything harsh as I like this thing too much.

Matt (z118)

You finally got me hooked. I'm glad you left a little something in the area for me to find.

aloldstuff,

You have spoken like a wise man. It's in my blood now and I have a need to be swinging the detector. At first I wasn't sure about this which is why I only borrowed my son's old detector but I see everything as 'can I detect there' or 'rats, can't detect there'.