PDA

View Full Version : Need help with age of Button found at lunch today

milco
06-28-2011, 05:49 PM
I went out today at lunch for a short hunt and found this old button. I found this at a spot where I have found many older coins but all from the 1920's - 1950's. This button appears to me to be much older than that and I would really appreciate anyone's help on determining it's age.

The button is just a fraction bigger than 20mm in diameter and the lettering on the back I believe is:
Rogers & Brothers * Warranted

I think it clean up pretty nice with just soap and water.

coinnut
06-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Hey milco, is it 2 mm or 12 mm? 2mm sounds really tiny. We find some buttons like that and they are usually around the size of a nickel. We generally date them around 1820-1830's. The backmark may help you get a time frame for it. Nice find. Definitely a lot older than what else you have been finding there.

milco
06-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Hey milco, is it 2 mm or 12 mm? 2mm sounds really tiny. We find some buttons like that and they are usually around the size of a nickel. We generally date them around 1820-1830's. The backmark may help you get a time frame for it. Nice find. Definitely a lot older than what else you have been finding there.

Sorry I had a typo which I have now corrected, it is just a tad over 20mm or exactly 13/16 of an inch. I would be shocked if this button dates to the 1820-30's, but I guess you just never know. I guess I was thinking just pre-Civil War era. More research is required, which I intend to do, I was just so excited to find this I had to post it right away.