PDA

View Full Version : Is it a mint error? Coin people please chime in

trout-hunter
07-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Found this yesterday detecting, the penny is nothing special but what seams to be attached to it has me puzzled.Is it slag produced during minting? if you look at the Lincoln side above liberty it looks like it started to melt thru. What do you think it is??

coinnut
07-01-2011, 09:54 AM
I don't think so Ernie. I think it's just something that corroded itself onto the coin. If that slag was struck with the dies, it would be a part of the design. The pressures are immense during minting. I don't think it latched itself on to the coin after it was struck either. Let's see what everyone else has to say about it though.

trout-hunter
07-01-2011, 11:18 AM
I don't think so Ernie. I think it's just something that corroded itself onto the coin. If that slag was struck with the dies, it would be a part of the design. The pressures are immense during minting. I don't think it latched itself on to the coin after it was struck either. Let's see what everyone else has to say about it though.

George you are probably right I just found it weird and not being a smart coin guy I had to throw it out there, anyway it is different and wonder how it got that way.

Vito
07-01-2011, 03:26 PM
May be one wanted to hoax some? (penny welded to smthng?) :interesting: