PDA

View Full Version : cellar hole hunt today*jack hammer needed

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-14-2010, 06:28 PM
sniffy came down and i took him to the site where forino found a canadian large cent and george found an IH.let me tell ya we shoulda stayed home.weather was nice but the ground wasn't.
at least 3 inches if not 4 of solid,solid.i mean SOLID ground to punch through before ya hit soft dirt. 5 hours and these are all the targets i could muster up.each target took 10-15 mins to break through the frost line.
Dan & G if your going sat be prepared to break a sweat diggin a target ;) even the predator felt ready to snap trying to pry the plugs.
hey we tried and it felt good to get a fix!

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-14-2010, 06:29 PM
more pics

coinnut
01-14-2010, 06:35 PM
OUCH lol That's a lot of hard work in that frost, Glad we aren't gonna have them issues on Saturday, we have Dynomite ;) Nice colonial spoon though. Sometimes the relics come slowly. Is that the site I got the Indian on the road? I think I got a rosette there too. What did sniffy get?

angellionel
01-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Seeing your photos and digs is getting me all excited about getting out soon. I need to get some swings in before I forget how to turn on the machine. lol Hopefully the ground will be more yielding on your return trips. thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-14-2010, 06:39 PM
OUCH lol That's a lot of hard work in that frost, Glad we aren't gonna have them issues on Saturday, we have Dynomite ;) Nice colonial spoon though. Sometimes the relics come slowly. Is that the site I got the Indian on the road? I think I got a rosette there too. What did sniffy get?

yeah this is the site ya dug the ih and rosette.sniffy didn't get anything.his ames shovel couldn't penetrate the frost rofl he marked spots and i went back and dug em for him :beatdown:
most of his marked targets were big iron.

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Seeing your photos and digs is getting me all excited about getting out soon. I need to get some swings in before I forget how to turn on the machine. lol Hopefully the ground will be more yielding on your return trips. thumbsup01

after today i may just hang it up till spring! but then again i'm an addict so i'll probaby end up doing it all over again anyways :yes:

coinnut
01-14-2010, 06:43 PM
sniffy didn't get anything.his ames shovel couldn't penetrate the frost rofl he marked spots and i went back and dug em for him :beatdown:

Tell sniffy I said welcome to the world of winter relic hunting lol Dude you need a hatchet. :yes:

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Tell sniffy I said welcome to the world of winter relic hunting lol Dude you need a hatchet. :yes:

seriously all jokin aside.. you do need a hatchet and a hammer.hammer the hatchet to make a slice x 4. its bad! here it is at least and you are farther north? fugetaboutit!

John M
01-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Well at least it is a start to the year.

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Well at least it is a start to the year.

sure is!

John M
01-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Maybe this would help.

coinnut
01-14-2010, 07:04 PM
seriously all jokin aside.. you do need a hatchet and a hammer.hammer the hatchet to make a slice x 4. its bad! here it is at least and you are farther north? fugetaboutit!

Think I'm kidding about the hatchet?? lol Nope, dead serious. I use either the hatchet or a hammer and chisel (or short screwdriver) But the screw driver needs like two dozen holes before you can pull part of the plug out lol Seriously, a pair of them plastic eye glasses are a must. Them chips of dirt are frozen solid and very abrasive. Don't want to lose an eye for an ox knob :rolleyes:

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Maybe this would help.

rofl :drool: yup that'll work!

bmattioli
01-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Nice to see you tried and got out.. I'm going to try this weekend under the trees.. Cabin fever is down right painfull..

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Think I'm kidding about the hatchet?? lol Nope, dead serious. I use either the hatchet or a hammer and chisel (or short screwdriver) But the screw driver needs like two dozen holes before you can pull part of the plug out lol Seriously, a pair of them plastic eye glasses are a must. Them chips of dirt are frozen solid and very abrasive. Don't want to lose an eye for an ox knob :rolleyes:

i know you are not kiddin.bring a back up hatchet.ya may break one in this enviroment!i'm thinkin a gas powered ice auger may work.go down next to the target then burrow sideways to target! :poke:

Epi-hunter
01-14-2010, 07:19 PM
:shocked04: :shocked04: And I thought Angel was bad! lol I can't believe you guys detect in that weather with five inches of frozen ground! :shocked04:stretcher:

Krom
01-14-2010, 08:32 PM
The thing to bring is a full-sized pick axe (...and I've used straight-claw hammers, too). A few swings, and you're there. What cha do is design a back carrier like Conan's sword sheath. Works great. ;)

CoinNut... you use dynamite, and you'll hafta swing all over again... and God knows how far from the original target spot it lands. lol

coinnut
01-14-2010, 08:35 PM
CoinNut... you use dynamite, and you'll hafta swing all over again... and God knows how far from the original target spot it lands. lol

Yes, but at least it will be out of the hole in one try lol

Snowy
01-14-2010, 08:38 PM
All I can say is... Determination! I don't have the patience to dig through that much frost....
I'm anxious for spring, myself....!

del
01-14-2010, 08:53 PM
well at least you probably helped subside that cabin fever anyways huh Dave . i give ya credit for braving the frozen tundra and ya still got something show for it . my hatchet is all nice and sharpened too and ready to battle the FRUD (frozen mud) lol lol, but a sharpened drywall hammer works well to . in this weather you have to stay away from the low laying areas , stone walls and any exposed rock or bare ground cause its like concrete . how did the machines handle the cold Dave :huh: i have a feeling you'll be out real soon .

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-15-2010, 03:41 AM
well at least you probably helped subside that cabin fever anyways huh Dave . i give ya credit for braving the frozen tundra and ya still got something show for it . my hatchet is all nice and sharpened too and ready to battle the FRUD (frozen mud) lol lol, but a sharpened drywall hammer works well to . in this weather you have to stay away from the low laying areas , stone walls and any exposed rock or bare ground cause its like concrete . how did the machines handle the cold Dave :huh: i have a feeling you'll be out real soon .

Dan

the machine handled good.to me the weather was beautiful! felt like a spring day compared to the weather we been having.at one point i took off my jacket and just had a sweatshirt on :yes:
i may go to home depot and grab a drywall hammer.i'll definitely be out providing sniffy wants to try again? he was discouraged to say the least.mikeys in fl till the end of january so. :confused:
good luck to you guys sat.G with dynamite? that's a recipe for disaster...ruuuuuns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked04: