PDA

View Full Version : any ideas?

pulltabsteve
07-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Found this today. Came up as an 80 VDI 7 deep with the M6 and 6x10 coil.[attachimg=2]

del
07-02-2011, 06:24 PM
aahh :huh: :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: well can you put it with something to get a size comparison Steve :dontknow:

pulltabsteve
07-02-2011, 06:47 PM
aahh :huh: :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: well can you put it with something to get a size comparison Steve :dontknow:

I thought the dime would be good. Would you rather have a piece of fruit? :)

del
07-02-2011, 06:50 PM
I thought the dime would be good. Would you rather have a piece of fruit? :)

only if you show front and back and it next to something to compare it to :callme:

coinnut
07-02-2011, 06:55 PM
I'm not getting this lol It's next to a dime. I told you to put in next to the elephant Steve, but you said NO \:hammer: ;)

pulltabsteve
07-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks George. I think Dan spent too much time in the woods today.

del
07-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Thanks George. I think Dan spent too much time in the woods today.

lol lol lol , i did Steve . lol lol sorry between the heat and the bugs for about 8 hours i'm spent :crazy: :crazy: your picture was to large for me and i didn't move it over to see the other thing 8/ lol lol it looks like a cob to me is it silver because it looks like its not at the edges:huh:

pulltabsteve
07-02-2011, 07:14 PM
This is how it came out of the ground. I haven't tried to clean it yet. I was thinking cob also. Its from a spot I found a few reales from in the past.

del
07-02-2011, 07:47 PM
hey from this angle it looks like theres almost a date

pulltabsteve
07-02-2011, 07:54 PM
All I see is a dime? :dontknow: :grin: Maybe so Dan. I just gave it a 5 minute baking soda rub. It did get some of the black off the edges.[attachimg=1][attachurl=2][attachimg=2]

pulltabsteve
07-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Here's 1 from the internet. 1650s philip cob.

jkress
07-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Would you rather have a piece of fruit? :)

rofl rofl rofl That's a funny reply right there! rofl I'm still laughing about it.

The coin does look to have some heavy sulfide build up... as silver would. :yes:
I'm not familiar with the White's ID system, is 80 VDI close to where small silver hits?

I think you have an awesome find here Steve. A big congrats to you. :clapping:

pulltabsteve
07-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Here is some info I got about the find from a Reale expert.

You can tell it's Mexico mint immediately from the distinctive cross style... Shield design (not monogram), so it's larger than the 1/2 Real denomination... Properly proportioned detail on a dime-sized planchet, so it has to be 1 Real. The shield has the central triple fleur-de-lis Bourbon escutcheon, so we know it's Philip V (1R coins dated 1701 and up). Looking at some more specific diagnostic points on the shield, this piece can be narrowed with certainty to 1712-14. For those of you who are already versed on the shield design:

-- Granada pomegranate has been removed, but the sliver of the SE castle quadrant is still visible
-- the Low Countries' diagonal lines have been stretched to their outer border; no longer contained within a 2nd inner border
-- Austria bar still stretches from border to border... hasn't yet been shortened

Beyond that, a bit of the date area is faintly visible, and I believe that's actually 14 of a 1714 date there (the dates are located in the encircling legend WNW of the shield... most of which usually never made it onto the planchet)... Possible that could be an optical illusion (as that area is weak/crude), but the more I look at it, I'm somewhat confident that's what it is (the positioning backs this up).

The Mº mintmark, BTW, is to the immediate left of the shield. Just below the mintmark is the assayer initial, which based on the style as discussed above, has to be J... you can see a bit of the top line of the J on yours.

This appears to be a land find, yes? Coincidental, b/c it's an absolutely typical date for pieces from the 1715 Fleet, which is where a large portion of the extant pieces from this period have come from.

coinnut
07-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Here is some info I got about the find from a Reale expert.

You can tell it's Mexico mint immediately from the distinctive cross style... Shield design (not monogram), so it's larger than the 1/2 Real denomination... Properly proportioned detail on a dime-sized planchet, so it has to be 1 Real. The shield has the central triple fleur-de-lis Bourbon escutcheon, so we know it's Philip V (1R coins dated 1701 and up). Looking at some more specific diagnostic points on the shield, this piece can be narrowed with certainty to 1712-14. For those of you who are already versed on the shield design:

-- Granada pomegranate has been removed, but the sliver of the SE castle quadrant is still visible
-- the Low Countries' diagonal lines have been stretched to their outer border; no longer contained within a 2nd inner border
-- Austria bar still stretches from border to border... hasn't yet been shortened

Beyond that, a bit of the date area is faintly visible, and I believe that's actually 14 of a 1714 date there (the dates are located in the encircling legend WNW of the shield... most of which usually never made it onto the planchet)... Possible that could be an optical illusion (as that area is weak/crude), but the more I look at it, I'm somewhat confident that's what it is (the positioning backs this up).

The Mº mintmark, BTW, is to the immediate left of the shield. Just below the mintmark is the assayer initial, which based on the style as discussed above, has to be J... you can see a bit of the top line of the J on yours.

This appears to be a land find, yes? Coincidental, b/c it's an absolutely typical date for pieces from the 1715 Fleet, which is where a large portion of the extant pieces from this period have come from.

lol I'd say that pretty much says it all :shocked04: :clapping: :clapping: Sounds like that person really knows his coins and now you know yours :happydance01: You should thank him twice :yes:

del
07-04-2011, 08:00 PM
:omg: thats great information on your cob Steve , i only wish i was that versed in the spanish coins and their symbols :rolleyes:. that is a great early piece huge congrats on finding it . :clapping: :clapping: |:confused:) :clapping: :clapping:

you should thank the person twice , does he just specialize on the spanish coins or is he knowledgeable about others as well??

jkress
07-04-2011, 09:30 PM
:shocked04: :shocked04: :shocked04: ... |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:)

Simply an outstanding find Steve. Very interesting information you received on it.

I haven't used this smiley yet, but this seems like the best one to start. :perfect10:

milco
07-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Very cool find, congrats! That's one old piece of silver and the info you received on it was very detailed and interesting.

Civil War Nut
07-10-2011, 12:04 AM
Now thats NICE NICE NICE . And OLD . WTG !

RobW
07-13-2011, 08:46 AM
I don't know how I missewd this post earlier...but :omg:...what a find! Freakin' wicked awsome! |:confused:)

tanacat
07-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Very, very, very cool Steve!! :clapping: (I missed this post too- I was on vacation) :cheesysmile:

That's what I love about this forum, you learn something new everyday!