PDA

View Full Version : Heartstopping big silver

Hook
07-04-2011, 11:32 AM
I got up early at dawn to hit a few spots while it was under 90 degrees with this 95 % humidity we have here . My first stop was the usual clad and a few mardi gras tokens , as well as a couple of local festival tokens (Contraband days). Lots of copper pennies that ring up as dimes on the 250 .
Got antsy and drove to an older part of town and hit an empty lot where the city had bought and torn down the old house that was there. Trash everywhere! I dug so many dime -quarter signals that were junk copper pieces it aint even funny lol .
Then i moved to where the side of the house would have been near the sidewalk. Got a broken signal that bounced from zinc to dime to quarter, with a fifty cent signal in the mix. junk right? So i figured its yet another crushed can down deep. I cut the plug and flipped it back and stuck my pinpointer in the hole and right away it a couple of nails rusted almost completely away. Ran the detector over the hole again and got a solid dollar signal, and thought yeah right. So i stuck my lesche in the hole and loosened up the dirt and flipped it around, only to see a large disc appear in the loose dirt. I thought..another mardi gras token..and reached in and picked it up only to feel the weight of it. OMG...my heart almost stopped right there. Holding my breath i rubbed a little dirt away and saw the eagle. I must confess to hollering out loud right about then lol. Ever see an old man doing a silver dance while on his knees ? it aint pretty!!
Near as i can figure the coin was about 5 or 6 inches down..and the back has a couple discolored spots on it...possibly from the rusty nails in the hole.

After cleaning it with water and a gentle toothbrush i took these pics. My first but hopefully not my last 1902 Morgan

Sorry for the long winded ranting you all . Just couldnt help myself
Happy hunting and good luck to all! Happy 4th!!!

del
07-04-2011, 12:15 PM
:shocked04: :shocked04: Hook , thats a beauty of a morgan :smitten: and must of been a huge rush to find . great job at not scratching it on the recovery too. :perfect10:

Dan

dave in iowa
07-04-2011, 12:16 PM
sure is great finding one , got my 1st one about 2 weeks ago , great find

Ill Digger
07-04-2011, 12:17 PM
:shocked04: Holy moly Hook!
That had to be a heart stopper!!
Your persistence really payed off!! :yes: thumbsup01 I know what it's like hunting around those tear downs. :hairpulling:
It might be a good thing the nails were there to lower the signal. :yes: :dontknow:
I know a lot of times the tear sites that show a dollar at 4 or 5 inches a lot of times I'll pass on after digging so many false alarms :rolleyes:
Nice find!
Congrats :grin:

rsarge1
07-04-2011, 01:11 PM
:omg: :perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10:

fsa46
07-04-2011, 01:21 PM
WTG Hook. Great find... :clapping: I can't wait to have that feeling with my first Morgan. :daydream:

MassDirtFisher
07-04-2011, 02:04 PM
That truly is an amazing and heart stopping find. CONGRATULATIONS!! Happy Hunting!!

coinnut
07-04-2011, 02:38 PM
lol Is that a sweet site or what Hook? :clapping: Please video the knee dance so we can get a better visual next time rofl Congrats on a great coin. After digging a zillion Mardi Gras tokens, I bet it is much harder to believe you have a large silver coin in the hole. What a beauty it is. :smitten: :happydance01:

randy
07-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Wow, the Morgans are flying out of the ground like clad on this forum -- congrats on a spectacular find :perfect10:

milco
07-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Wow, congrats on the Morgan! Your persistence paid off around that home site, there is always a lot of junk around them, WTG!

sandals
07-04-2011, 08:45 PM
wow, awesome!!!!

jkress
07-04-2011, 09:40 PM
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSCORE!!! <:
Now that is the definition of Big Silver.
Congrats on an incredible find Hook. :clapping:

Epi-hunter
07-04-2011, 10:09 PM
That is a heart-stopper. Congratulations!!!! :clapping:

Outlaw 1-3
07-05-2011, 12:17 AM
That is in GORGEOUS shape! Big, big congrats!!! :perfect10:

aloldstuff
07-05-2011, 07:03 AM
Congrats on that huge silver. WOW |:confused:) |:confused:) |:confused:)

Hook
07-05-2011, 08:38 AM
:shocked04: :shocked04: Hook , thats a beauty of a morgan :smitten: and must of been a huge rush to find . great job at not scratching it on the recovery too. :perfect10:

Dan

thanks dan :). i was surprised i didnt scratch it , since the dirt is rock hard here even after a few little rains lately. too many weeks of no rain i guess :yes:

lol Is that a sweet site or what Hook? :clapping: Please video the knee dance so we can get a better visual next time rofl Congrats on a great coin. After digging a zillion Mardi Gras tokens, I bet it is much harder to believe you have a large silver coin in the hole. What a beauty it is. :smitten: :happydance01:

thats an aggravating site i tell ya lol. i have dug over 40 pieces of junk outta there and only 6 coins so far..but one of them was a good one :clapping:. BTW there is NOOOOOOO way i would ever video myself dancing..i wouldnt want to be laughed off of the internet rofl

My thanks to all of you guys and gals for your great replies. i dont post much , but i always check on all of you to enjoy what you all find also . HH and goodluck !

thumbsup01

Hook
07-05-2011, 08:43 AM

sorry for the double reply, but i forgot to add this... Dan, when i saw the large coin shape in the hole coated with dirt..i thought...dang..another token. when i reached in and picked it up..THATS when my heart stopped lol . the tokens are aluminum...they weigh next to nothing. you know what a morgan weighs lol.

angellionel
07-05-2011, 09:15 AM
That is one big hunk of silver! :smitten: Great find Hook! What an awesome sight it must have been to your eyes to see one of those babies pop out of the ground. :yes: Congrats!

Hook
07-05-2011, 11:27 PM
That is one big hunk of silver! :smitten: Great find Hook! What an awesome sight it must have been to your eyes to see one of those babies pop out of the ground. :yes: Congrats!

Angel i was speechless . i was SO shocked i didnt know for sure if i had seen what i had seen lol. I NEVER thought i would ever find such a coin . absolutely amazed and astounded i am,...still! lol :peace:

mike l
07-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Thats about the biggest silver there is, AWESOME! :perfect10:

hockeyguy
07-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Persistance pays off BIG Hook....great work.... :perfect10:

russellt
07-06-2011, 06:12 PM
:perfect10: now that is a hum digger as we say here in the hills of GA.. thats a great coin WOW .. :envious:

RobW
07-07-2011, 08:38 AM
GREAT find :clapping:

bob_e99
07-07-2011, 09:18 AM
What can I add that hasn't already been said.

:envious: :envious: :envious:

tanacat
07-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Ever see an old man doing a silver dance while on his knees ? it aint pretty!!

lol I can see you now! lol

Wow that is one fine looking piece of big silver- BIG Time Congrats!!!! :happydance01: I love your story, I feel the passion :loveit:

BrunswickMd
07-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Such a beautiful coin! Congrats and continued luck to you :perfect10: