PDA

View Full Version : 28 unspent Cavalry Colt .45 Pistol Rounds?...In One Hole!!!

alderan33
07-04-2011, 07:36 PM
OK this is weird! I went back to my new hunting area near an old Fort. I spent 7 hours hunting with not much to show for it except a buckle and some old spent rifle cartridges. I decided to try another area about a half mile away. The first thing I found is what looked like an old hatchet head? Not sure. Then I found a spent rifle casing presumably from a deer hunter as there was a tree stand in the immediate vicinity. It was hot so I started walking back to the truck while I was swinging my coil and I got an iffy signal bouncing between +36 and +52. So I was thinking it was going to be another casing when out pops an unfired pistol round, completely intact. It was too hot to do the happy dance so I closed my eyes and imagined myself dancing around in my head. I checked the hole and it was clear. I got up, walked about three feet and my V3I was singing. I dug another 28 unspent pistol rounds from the same hole. Can you say two Cache finds in two hunts? :icon_pirat: So after I cleared the hole I walked the remaining 10 FEET BACK TO MY TRUCK! :grin:
So here are the pictures. Thanks for looking. HH

alderan33
07-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Another angle...

alderan33
07-04-2011, 07:37 PM
and another...

alderan33
07-04-2011, 07:38 PM
yet another

alderan33
07-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Some kind of axe or hatchet?

alderan33
07-04-2011, 07:40 PM
This is the weirdest looking rifle round I've ever seen. It's so skinny!

del
07-04-2011, 08:06 PM
definately some great area with lots of union soldier activity , love the J hook . your on a roll with the ammo cache's :cheering: :cheering:

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-04-2011, 10:19 PM
nice relics! that axe or hatchet is commonly known as a Ox Shoe. if us cellar hole hunters had a dime for each one we dug we'd be rich...right fellas? <}

aloldstuff
07-05-2011, 09:23 AM
WOW again. That is one really nice area you're hunting. Keep diggin

coinnut
07-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Yep that is an ox shoe >:/ We get them all the time. Nice cache of bullets. Do you have an age estimate on the rounds?? Late 1800's / early 1900's?? Or are they earlier? Looks like a lot of activity in that particular part of town. Congrats on your second cache. :clapping:

CyberSage
07-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Marty! That is just awesome man. You have a honey hole and the right detector to get the job done. Congratulations. How much you figure those unspent rounds are worth a piece? You have easily paid for your Whites V3i in 2 finds. You are now approaching legend status. Sweet!

Jack

alderan33
07-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Marty! That is just awesome man. You have a honey hole and the right detector to get the job done. Congratulations. How much you figure those unspent rounds are worth a piece? You have easily paid for your Whites V3i in 2 finds. You are now approaching legend status. Sweet!

Jack

Thanks for all the encouragement Jack. Coming from you it means a lot! The musket balls are worth around $2100, the rounds midrange around $1450, more if I revealed the history, date and location. But I will not sell them. Everything I find of historical significance will eventually go to the museum in the area I found them. :envious:

coinnut
07-07-2011, 11:09 AM
But I will not sell them. Everything I find of historical significance will eventually go to the museum in the area I found them. :envious:

I don't know if you have a GPS, but if you do, you may want to tag the GPS coordinates with the finds so that they can see where they were found It may be important historically.