PDA

View Full Version : The Fourth of July Bracketed in Gold?

Outlaw 1-3
07-05-2011, 11:18 AM
After finding the big honking 10k gold bracelet on July 3rd, I took the 4th off to enjoy the holiday. Went back out this morning on the 5th to do a little hunting in Westside Park in McAllen, TX before work. It was a good day because I hit an old tree that looked like it might have some coins. Dug a dime and five pennies out of the ground.

Then I went to one of the older jungle gyms and got a pretty solid hit for a nickel. I was pretty close to a steel post using an 8 inch coil, so it took me a while to decide it was worth digging and not just hitting on the post. I dug up this charm that looks like a little chancla. It was about 4 inches down and packed inside of a ball of mud. Although it is not stamped, I suspect it is gold because it cleaned right up with no rust or tarnishing. And it sure as heck shines like gold. Weighed in at 1.7 grams total weight. If it is 14k, that makes it just under 1 gram of gold, and if it is 10k, that puts it at .7 grams of gold.

And if it is not gold, it is still a neat little find that is different from clad coins. :grin:[attachimg=1][attachimg=2] Will have to take it to the pawn shop and have it tested.

HH!

Chris

aloldstuff
07-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Good decision to dig that. Hope it's gold....congrats

coinnut
07-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Nice. :clapping: I hope it's gold too :yes: I have seen them they stamp the loop with really tiny script, so I would check it again for a karat mark. If you bring it somewhere to test it, just make sure they are trustworthy. Nice persistance in figureing out it was not just your machine picking up the steel bars. thumbsup01