PDA

View Full Version : Stars aligned and then quickly came crashing down

Viking
07-05-2011, 05:35 PM
I took a trip back to Minnesota this past holiday weekend to visit my family. I decided to bring the Etrac along to do a little detecting here and there. Overall it was a fun time, with 5 wheats and some neat relics found in different family member yards and at our small cabin in northern Minnesota.

While up north, my dad and I got on the four wheelers (ATV's) and went for a long evening ride. The weather was nice and we saw our fair share of deer, sandhill cranes, pheasants, and wild turkeys. My dad doesn't own a metal detector but he thinks it's neat that I like it, so he was pointing out old abandoned farm houses on our evening ride. We came up to one old place in particular that was probably from the early 1900's, out in a grassy field, adjacent to some corn crops. While we were pulling over to take a closer look, a car pulled up and a young 16-18 year old kid started talking to us. He turned out to be a nice guy, telling us that this building used to be a one room school house, and that his family owns the land. Holy crap! :shocked04: What good luck for him to pull up as we happened to be parked near the building! I tell him about my hobby and he says it'd be fine if we detected around the building the next morning (also exchanging names, and him saying that he'd tell his dad to expect us). I couldn't believe my good luck and was excited for the rest of the night. :sleepy: And then morning came... >:\

My dad and I made it back out to the property at 8:00 am and headed straight for the building. Unfortunately, the grass was thick and probably 3-4 feet tall, so swinging the coil was very, very challenging. I hit the easier spots but I wasn't getting anything repeatable. About 10 minutes into our hunt, a SUV pulls up and a woman and another young man get out of the vehicle and ask &quot:grin:shocked04: you mind telling us what you're doing? :behave: I started to explain the situation that her other son gave us permission after we had talked the night before. You could tell she wasn't happy and that the message from old sonny boy didn't make it into the house last night. She was worried about us going into the old building and suing her if we got hurt (we explained that we had no interest in going in). To make a long story shorter, she let us stay but didn't seem comfortable. Team that with the LONG, THICK, WET grass, and we were ready to leave. My dad and I stayed there for 20-30 minutes in total and I didn't unearth a single target. >:{ That place would be better left for spring when the grass is non-existent, but I don't live up there and frankly, it doesn't seem like it's meant to be.

Anyways, the rest of the trip was a blast, but the &quot:daydream:ne Room Schoolhouse that I've dreamt about was a big let down. I'm in one heck of a silver slump and feeling the sting of it! :white:usaflag:: Oh well, just getting out with dad was good enough for me! thumbsup01

coinnut
07-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Sometimes places are not meant to be. If all them things were against you, it's better to go find another place. I had the luck(?) of getting to do an old one room schoolhouse and just couldn't find anything more than clad :dontknow:. After getting more info from the locals, I found out it was moved there a couple of years back. The original location was further downtown lol But you did get some great Dad time in. thumbsup01

russellt
07-06-2011, 06:08 PM
honestly many of us who have been hunting for a while have had a great prospect that just didnt work out . it does stink though . that tall grass just kills swinging a coil. think of it this way to pacify your anxiety.. a turn of the century one room school house in the middle of nowhere may not be a treasure trove after all considering there was no school lunch back then and there were probably very few children back then who carried enough loot to loose . sorry bro just trying to help. :yes:

Viking
07-06-2011, 11:45 PM
Yeah, who knows what was lying in the ground there. It wasn't like I flew back only for that site and it fell apart. Just something that materialized late in the day and then fell apart early the next morning.

Figured many of you could relate! Certainly nothing new or profound about this post. lol