PDA

View Full Version : Why clean your finds??

coinnut
07-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Sometimes it's a good thing to clean your finds. Some of you know I am working (slowly lol) to sort, identify, group, as well as scrap some of my finds from the many years of hunting. I have stuff in there from 1976 :-\ Here is a picture of some of the scrap lead (about 20 lbs worth).

[attachimg=1]

Going through some of the finds before scrapping them, I found this piece. Looking at it from the side, it appeared to be just another rivit. We get lots of these from colonial sites.

[attachimg=2]

They are usually mud packed, like this one was, but I'm taking a good look at everything before it ends up being called junk. I could see a faint image on the face and a slight hint of gold. So I cleaned it up and here is the rivit in it's new skin lol

[attachimg=3]

So be very careful before you throw anything out 8/ :embarrassed:

pulltabsteve
07-06-2011, 05:32 PM
A Kentucky Fried Chicken pin! How cool is that! rofl Nice re-recovery George!

russellt
07-06-2011, 05:59 PM
my thoughts exactly steve . thats the first thing that crossed my mind ............ i knew col sanders funded his empire through cotton money ..... its a nice find in all seriousness :groovy:

coinnut
07-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Mmmmmmmmm KFC :daydream: Now I'm hungry >:/

milco
07-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Call you local scrap yard and take that lead in, I am sure your 20lbs would get you at least one meal at KFC.

Ill Digger
07-06-2011, 09:30 PM
So what do you think it is? A rivet? Or do you think it's a pin or maybe a cuff link? :dontknow:
And what is K of C really stand for? :confused:

Edit: I had to know lol
It stands for Knights of Columbus :yes:
[attachimg=1]
And here's a link to the history and the seal thats on your pin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_Columbus
Nice save George! thumbsup01
I gotta start hanging on to my trash and giving it a closer look :embarrassed: lol

aloldstuff
07-07-2011, 07:19 AM
Accumulating stuff since 1976.....wow. You probably have some serious work ahead of yourself. I myself have a couple of 5 gal buckets in the garage that I need to go thru, keep telling myself that its a winter project but that never happens. I need to separate the copper, lead and brass.

coinnut
07-07-2011, 10:53 AM
So what do you think it is? A rivet? Or do you think it's a pin or maybe a cuff link? :dontknow:
Nice save George! thumbsup01

Thanks for the info. Oh it's a cufflink for sure. When it was caked with dirt it looked just like the rivits we find at cellar holes. That's why it got tossed with all the rest of the stuff. Now I have to sort all that junk. :rolleyes: When I get caught up, I'm sorting it after every hunt lol

Accumulating stuff since 1976.....wow. You probably have some serious work ahead of yourself. I myself have a couple of 5 gal buckets in the garage that I need to go thru, keep telling myself that its a winter project but that never happens. I need to separate the copper, lead and brass.

Yep, it keeps piling up and after a while you wonder why do I keep this stuff? lol I'm glad I did, since copper, brass and lead has gone up in value :clapping:

steve in so az
07-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Good thing you did check it. I have about 7-800 junk rings on a rope. Some time back I checked them all more closely and found a former brass ring to have a 10K on the band under magnification. steve in so az