PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Tennessee Volz

SCOTT JOHNSON
01-15-2010, 09:01 AM
New to this and I am currently in Iraq. I have been supporting our troops since 2003. When I come home on my next R/R I want to buy a nice metal detector and start detecting for lost items. Is there a great detector that can be used for land and water?

Thank you

Go Vols

RickO
01-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Welcome aboard Scott. Yes, there are a few good detectors that will work on land and in water... however, I have found that it is better to have one of each. Dedicated machines tend to do their one job very well, hybrids (IMO) tend to be a tad diluted. Good luck, HH RickO

del
01-15-2010, 02:25 PM
hello and welcome to the forum Scott , most water machines (actual water proof pulse induction) are great in the water and beach but are not designed and are very akward to use on land ( because they have no or little discrimination)but can be done and the better land machines (vlf), while there pretty good on the beach they arn't water proof . for these reasons most detectorists have one of each if they frequent the shores often .

Dan

coinnut
01-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Welcome aboard and thanks for all you are doing for our country thumbsup01 I guess I'll catch some slack for this lol but I recommend the Minelab E Trac. It is an easy machine to learn and has excellent depth. It will work on both land and beach, but I would be very cautious with using it anywhere water can enter it. You could use it on the dry beach and on wet sand, but not in the water. That is why everyone recommends going with two machines. If that is not an option, then I would decide if I want to hunt the beach or on dry land. Get a machine specific for the one you choose. If you like metal detecting, then you can always get another one later. It is possible to save your change and silver and gold rings found, and buy a second machine without putting out any of your own money. Many people have paid back themselves for their equipment with their finds. Good luck and keep us posted.

grinsebring
01-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Welcome to American Detectorist. Thank you for your service.
Get back safe and sound and welcome to the hobby...Gil in central Florida

Epi-hunter
01-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service :)

You are receiving good info regarding your question, so I won't add to it, but we hope you will continue to post!

angellionel
01-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Welcome to the forum Scott! I'm sure you will be looking forward to your next R&R.

You indicate that you are new to the hobby, or at least that's how I read it. If so, getting into one of the more 'advanced' detectors will seem daunting at first, but it can actually be the way to go for those who are sure this hobby will be for them. Many do decide to go with a lower end machine when starting. By this I don't mean a machine lower in quality, but rather, one with not as many useful features and options as the more expensive detectors.

To add to the good info already provided, the ACE250 is reasonably priced, and it is a very good machine to start with if you are unsure you will remain in the hobby, though chances are that once bitten, you won't be able give it up. Another machine you would enjoy using is the DFX. The E-Trac and the Spectra V3 would be excellent machines to own as well. However, they are expensive, and the learning curve may be much more steeper for someone completely new to the hobby. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them though.

The coils on the above machines are waterproof, but not the electronic box. You would end up having a dead machine if that part were to be immersed in water. They are, however, great for detecting at the beaches, on wet or dry sand, and on land. If you are looking to detect in shallow water though, as Ricko and the others pointed out, having a machine dedicated to the task at hand is the way to go.

One machine that is designed for underwater detecting is the Minelab Excalibur. It can be used for detecting on land as well, but it can be awkward and heavy for that use, and will not provide the flexibility the detectors mentioned earlier will offer.

The forum members are quite experienced with the above machines, so ask questions. They will be more than willing to be of assistance and share their experience and knowledge.

Have fun, and once again, welcome!

SCOTT JOHNSON
01-17-2010, 06:50 AM
Thank you very much for this information. I had planned on spending $1500-2000 on the detector. I know this is going to be exciting and adventurous for me. But I wanted to start with a very good detector so I wouldn't have to go back and buy a upgrade. This is my Christmas present to me from me. If all goes well I will find enough to pay for a detector for water. I think is so exciting to be able to search place that possibly Civil war veterans walk and fought on my property and my neighbors also. What would be great is find maybe a treasure trove of gold.

V/r
Scott Johnson

Epi-hunter
01-17-2010, 10:19 AM
It sounds like you have some great places to detect! And it also sounds like you are reasonably sure that you are going to like the hobby. :) With that price range you can buy the 'newest' top end detector such as the E-Trac or Spectra V3. You can also, if you wish, get an excellent detector like the White's MXT or DFX (and there are many others in that range; I'm just naming a couple), perhaps even a gently used one, and still have enough money left over for a water machine.

Angel named a good water machine with the Minelab Excalibur, but it also depends on what type of water detecting you will be doing (freshwater or salt water?) The Excal is better for salt water, but if you will be primarily detecting in fresh water, you might want to consider the Tesoro Tiger Shark. I bought mine very gently used for around $600.

Keep in mind also that you will need some equipment to go with your detector. For a land detector, you will need a good sturdy digger, as well as (probably) some type of pinpointer to assist in locating objects when you dig. For a water detector you will need a good quality scoop as well as special gear to wear in the water.

We would be happy to give more specific info if you would like. Just ask! :) And remember to post your finds here for us to see :)

xzlr8n
01-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Welcome to the forum and thank you for serving our country's interests abroad. Whatever machine you buy just give it a while and find some locations with lots of targets. You will find stuff which keeps you excited about the hobby and also teaches you alot about the machine and how different targets respond on your machine. After a couple of successful hunts either you'll be hooked or :confused: scratching your head why did I get into this hobby. Hopefully, it will be a lifetime hobby filled with hours of fun for you. I went from a Prizm V to a Spectra V3 in one year rofl.

Lowjiber
01-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Welcome to the hobby and the forum, Scott.

There's lots of good advice above, so I haven't got anything else to add. Whatever machine(s) you choose, let us know. The forum is full of members with a wide range of experience with just about any detector...we're all here to help each other.

Dave
01-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Hello and welcome!

SeabeeRon
01-27-2010, 08:32 PM
First off, from a Viet Nam Era Vet, Thank you for supporting our Troops! Also, WELCOME from a California Sand Digger! 8)