PDA

View Full Version : Latest Find

bob_e99
07-07-2011, 09:09 AM
This past weekend I made a decision to become a real detectorist and started looking at parks and other potential sites. On Tuesday I went to an old drive in and a really old deserted picnic/playground site behind a cemetary. Both were awful to the max. Obviously anyone who has been detecting in the area has probably hit those sites a hundred times.

Wednesday, I went to an old park in one of our oldest cities and found a single clad quarter which judging by the depth, was probably lost fairly recently. I then headed up to an old farm which has since been sub-divided and couldn't really find any site of where any structure may have been. Everything was all woods. I was hot, tired and hungry. Wednesday night I started thinking that detecting was fun but I was way too late on the bus and all the obvious sites have been stripped clean. Discouragement really set in hard.

Thursday (today) is grocery shopping day but the humidity was down and there was a nice breeze so I figured I would do along the site of our road which is dirt. In no time at all, I started to find clad (a couple of dimes and a penny). As I worked my way around the block surrounding the woods near our house (where I previously found the large cent and the non-descript object) I got drawn into the woods and got a signal deep in the woods which quickly raised my hopes of another large cent. Unfortunately it turned out to be a lincoln which really surprised me considering the location. I didn't want to be long so I started headed for our house through the woods and came across a signal I didn't recognize because it was really, really low. What got my interest though was how clean it sounded so I figured why not spend another couple of minutes and dig. I can only say that while the coin is not in great shape, it got my hopes up again. Sorry to make this so long but I needed to vent a bit.

Lastly, if someone can tell me what I found, I would deeply appreciate it.

Thanks for looking.

Added note: sometimes a quicky search can be pretty good.

z118
07-07-2011, 09:18 AM
I believe it's a Swiss 1/2 Franc. Too bad, you missed silver by 2 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_franc

Sure is a neat dig though. Makes you wonder who would have dropped it. I don't think too many people were wandering around those woods other than me!

aloldstuff
07-07-2011, 09:27 AM
all the frustrations of md'ing are washed away with just one good find. Keep pluggin, keep diggin

bob_e99
07-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Thanks Matt. That is a surprise. I was guessing something like that by the reading that I got on the detector. When I saw the stars, I was hoping for another early coin but seeing 1969 on the back just didn't make sense.

:-\

coinnut
07-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Frustration is the part of detecting we all hate lol The best way to enjoy yourself is to get to hunt private property (houses are usually best), but farms are great too. At least you will find some targets and most of the private property is hit a lot less, if at all. Congrats on the Helvetia coin lol

bob_e99
07-07-2011, 12:18 PM
all the frustrations of md'ing are washed away with just one good find. Keep pluggin, keep diggin

Thanks for the encouragement. Sometimes I tend to get impatient so it's good to have support.

Frustration is the part of detecting we all hate lol The best way to enjoy yourself is to get to hunt private property (houses are usually best), but farms are great too. At least you will find some targets and most of the private property is hit a lot less, if at all. Congrats on the Helvetia coin lol

Thanks coinnut. I'm finding that you are right 'on the money' (so to speak) especially in this neck of the woods. That wasn't on my list of things to learn but it is now and I'll remember it. I appreciate your comments.