PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - first silver!

BrunswickMd
07-07-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm new to this thing of ours - just bought an ACE250 less then two months ago - been pretty much just poking around my own yard with it - trying to figure things out. Posting a pick of representative finds - but tonight I dug my first silver! A 1912 Barber - haven't cleaned it up yet - just a minute of hot water and a few seconds of gentle tooth brushing (I'll head over to the how to clean section before doing more - knew enough from this forum not to rub it right out of the ground) but WHAT BLAST :peace: Hey I know it's no big deal for you ol timers (seen some of your posts) but this might actually get me motivated to branch out some and where there is one who knows...

Everyone - thank you for all the info and encouragement this forum offers - a great pubic service - especially you special people who host/run this - please keep up the good work - you all ROCK :happydance01:

Tony Two-Cent
07-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Hey I know it's no big deal for you ol timers

Trust me, a Barber Dime is always a big deal! That's a terrific find for anyone! Congrats! thumbsup01

I think maybe Angel's method for cleaning silver coins might help your dime. You can read about it here: http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=813.0

Good job on the successful hunt! :clapping:

whammy
07-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Finding a Barber never gets old. Congratulations on your first ( hopefully ) of many.

coinnut
07-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Nice finds :clapping: With finds like that from someone just learning, you are gonna do quite well in this hobby :clapping: :clapping: I second the cleaning method that Angel had posted. Your coin seems to have that type of tarnish that most cleaning methods will not take away without ruining the patina. I see you have a Great Seal Army button too thumbsup01 They started in 1902. Nice hunt!! I never get tired of finding Barbers lol They are always exciting to find.

BrunswickMd
07-07-2011, 09:29 PM
I actually found two of these buttons - posted earlier on the first one - the one pictured I pierced with my digger. They were about thirty feet apart in my lower yard (typical little city lot 100 x 70). I was at first real excited when I found the first one thinking CIVIL WAR but quickly found online that wasn't the case (true noob). In fact I soon realized I have the same brass buttons on my own old dress greens... lol.

coinnut
07-07-2011, 09:40 PM
I actually found two of these buttons - posted earlier on the first one - the one pictured I pierced with my digger. They were about thirty feet apart in my lower yard (typical little city lot 100 x 70). I was at first real excited when I found the first one thinking CIVIL WAR but quickly found online that wasn't the case (true noob). In fact I soon realized I have the same brass buttons on my own old dress greens... lol.

lol Too funny :yes: I bet the ones on your dress greens are in much better shape. That is why I love detecting, it's a new prize in every hole dug lol

jkress
07-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Now that is one heck of a first silver!!! <:
I think my first was a rosie. lol :yes:
As you are finding... persistence pays off. You must have been
quite excited to see that beauty come out of the hole.
A big congrats on the first of many. :clapping:

BrunswickMd
07-07-2011, 10:21 PM
It is very exciting indeed - definitely making me want to keep at it. I feel like I have hours left just in my little yard but now also thinking about pushing out. I went out to a local school my first weekend after buying the md and also one other site (public area but wasn't sure it was OK) but otherwise just here trying to get used to the machine in my yard. I'm planning to walk into my city hall and see if I can get permission to go to some certain areas around my old town. I'm getting into this hobby.

Lowjiber
07-08-2011, 06:33 AM
Like many other things in life, you never forget your first.

A Barber is certainly a great way to start in the silver department of the hobby.

Congratulations, and MANY MORE!!!!

randy
07-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Rosies are a big deal for me, and finding them never gets old. Great first silver :perfect10: and welcome to the forum.

aloldstuff
07-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Huge congrats on the barber, what a first silver to dig. Sorry to say that you have crossed over the threshhold and are now part of the insane aslym.

Toadman
07-08-2011, 05:25 PM
thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01 I remember my first silver too.. Never let it get tired dude !! :cool: :cool: :cool:

MassDirtFisher
07-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Love Barbers!! Congrats on the silver!! Happy Hunting!!