PDA

View Full Version : Got Out Today! It's Been Awhile! Double Tap on Gold!

M-Taliesin
07-08-2011, 02:42 AM
Howdy Folks!
It has been awhile since I did much hunting. Between the loss of our cat Pyewackett, training for concealed carry permits for our handguns, my wife having two surgical sessions to remove catarachs from her eyes, and a bunch of other stuff, I just ain't been swinging lately.

However, I did get out today for the first time in awhile and managed to take a 14k gold earring and a 10k gold ring along with a smattering of other items. I only visited 3 locations, but got gold at 2 of the three today. We've also had more rain here than we'd normally see in 7 summers, and this one is only half over! Now we have mosquitos like I've never seen in such abundance since I came to Colorado many years ago.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

[attachimg=4]

[attachimg=9]

[attachimg=6]

[attachimg=7]

[attachimg=8]

One of the photos shows a close up of the 14k stamped into the earring, but it is tough to make out. Doesn't matter, it is gold and I found it. So I'm a happy camper.

The two foreign coins are a Czech Republic 20 Korun coin and a Mexican $5 Peso. We don't see much Czech coinage around Colorado, and I am mystified how it came to be where I found it!

Anyhow, my take was:
6 Quarters = $1.50
6 Nickels = $0.30
18 Dimes = $1.80
32 Pennies = $0.32
Total = $3.42
Coin Count = 62 coins.

Along with the gold items, I also found some other jewelry items as you can see in the photos.

Thanks in advance for looking,
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Myownwings
07-08-2011, 04:41 AM
Really glad to see you are back MT. You've been through some hard times of late and I was sensing your pain but didn't know what to say. When I see your name on a post it is always the first one I read. Now I see your back finding the yellow stuff, it kinda makes me happy.

aloldstuff
07-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Deuce on the gold, big congrats and glad to see your back at it.

MartinL
07-08-2011, 09:52 AM
I have to ask...How many hours does it take you to make these hauls Mel? You always put many THr's hunts to shame with these caches you keep finding. Is it just a target rich area around there, or do you detect like 12 straight hours or something? martin

MassDirtFisher
07-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Congrats on a great hunt! Gold is a wonderful surprise to any hunt. Happy Hunting!!

M-Taliesin
07-08-2011, 10:03 PM
I have to ask...How many hours does it take you to make these hauls Mel? You always put many THr's hunts to shame with these caches you keep finding. Is it just a target rich area around there, or do you detect like 12 straight hours or something? martin

Howdy Pardner!
My area is a target rich environment. I only invested 3 to 4 hours hunting on that particular trip.
And that's just sticking to school tot lots. Ask Exsquid, and he ain't seen a 1/4th of what I've got around here to hunt.
Every time he comes out, he marvels at how many tot lots are at each school, and how many schools we have with multiple
tot lots. Though he's been here a couple of times, we ain't yet touched the same place twice with him.

Anyhow, before I got hurt, I was perfectly content to invest 10, 12, 14 or even 16 hours on a hunt. Now however, my knee still
gives me trouble if I'm out too long. Hopefully I'll regain a toughness and eventually get back to the longer type hunts.

Even in summer, many kids frequent school tot lots here as an alternative to a more distant park.
So they get hammered year 'round. And them kids always manage to drop a little something for me to find!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

coinnut
07-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Nice finds Mel. Glad you are out raking in the gold stuff!! Nice to have some kids willing to contribute to the fund :clapping:

MartinL
07-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Howdy Pardner!
My area is a target rich environment. I only invested 3 to 4 hours hunting on that particular trip.
And that's just sticking to school tot lots. Ask Exsquid, and he ain't seen a 1/4th of what I've got around here to hunt.
Every time he comes out, he marvels at how many tot lots are at each school, and how many schools we have with multiple
tot lots. Though he's been here a couple of times, we ain't yet touched the same place twice with him.

Anyhow, before I got hurt, I was perfectly content to invest 10, 12, 14 or even 16 hours on a hunt. Now however, my knee still
gives me trouble if I'm out too long. Hopefully I'll regain a toughness and eventually get back to the longer type hunts.

Even in summer, many kids frequent school tot lots here as an alternative to a more distant park.
So they get hammered year 'round. And them kids always manage to drop a little something for me to find!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

You are blessed for sure with that environment. We have numerous, very heavily used soccer fields and municipal tot lots here in North Dallas, Plano-Richardson especially, but I don't think metal detecting is accepted many places there. Collin county loves to over govern everything, and yet charge property taxes like everyone ate caviar for dinner everyday!!!

I'd be a maniac and hunt every day is I had your wonderland, no doubt. Metal detecting would be fun again, especially finding the shallow targets from these kinds of spots. Your local politics are friendlier to hunters than ours here. GRRRR! martin