PDA

View Full Version : Confused

bob_e99
07-08-2011, 02:05 PM
After finding a large cent yesterday, I went detecting again today and only found a 1924 wheat penny. The fisherman in me wanted to throw it back in the hole because it was too small. Fortunately I remembered I was detecting and not fishing.

lol

angellionel
07-08-2011, 08:49 PM
That's a keeper, Bob! :grin: lol I love the old wheat cents, those dated prior to the 40's. :yes: But I sure do know the feeling on wanting to throw back a small bass when there may be bigger ones nearby. lol

BrunswickMd
07-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Woot that would be a great day for a newbie like me :clapping: but I guess it's all about perspective. Hit that joint again tho I would say. :clapping:

bob_e99
07-09-2011, 06:36 AM
Woot that would be a great day for a newbie like me :clapping: but I guess it's all about perspective. Hit that joint again tho I would say. :clapping:

I'm sure that I haven't been doing this too much longer than you and while I initially found it strange to find a 'normal' penny in this area, it was the only coin I found on that hunt (my hunts usually yield very small totals) so, yes, it meant something to me especially being a wheat and as angel pointed out, they are keepers. It's also interesting that I remember that it was not totally unusual to get these in change back in the 50's. Little did I know that finding one today would be so exciting.

If you're like me, you may find a bit discouraging that all the obvious good sites have been detected so you have to really be inventive in finding new places. I'm still trying to find a site to have a day like some of the posters on this forum. My few ventures away from my 'precious woods' have yielded just a few clad dimes and pennies.

In any case, glad to see someone else starting out and I wish you a lot of successful hunts.

milco
07-09-2011, 08:34 AM
I'd be there diggin' zincolns if it meant an opportunity to score a LC, they're very scarce in these parts!

z118
07-09-2011, 12:32 PM
It's also interesting that I remember that it was not totally unusual to get these in change back in the 50's. Little did I know that finding one today would be so exciting.

Easy there old timer... your memory is getting a bit foggy. lol They would have ALL been wheats back in the 50's. Well, 50-58 anyway. Are you forgetting you memory pills again? lol

Congrats on the wheat! Keep swinging that coil. Sooner or later you'll find a spot that's been overlooked.

bob_e99
07-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Easy there old timer... your memory is getting a bit foggy. lol They would have ALL been wheats back in the 50's. Well, 50-58 anyway. Are you forgetting you memory pills again? lol

I'm going to quietly go away for a bit and quaff a cold one and see if I can lift that fog.