PDA

View Full Version : slow going

hockeyguy
07-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Well I went to a hunted out park tonite for 1.5 hours. Scott found a gold ring there yesterday and we've pulled some very old coins from there so I said what the heck. I was reading a post about going slow (of course I already know this but it promted me to take my time); thus I was going embarrasingly slow.

I listened for the high tones and/or the deeper ones. I wish I could set my machine to go off only for targets deeper than 6 but I can't that I know of.

I heard things I left behind previously. Interstingly, many of the wheats I dug gave a dime reading at 3 28 but sounded mostly like copper. Sometimes I'd hear a hi pitch and think a silver was possible, but not today. One of the other things I was reminded of in the post was that we loose TID at depth, so I was diggin iffy, deep ones. Actually, this is what I was after. If I heard a deep tone, I'd hone in and circle it to see if I could justify a dig.

After digging 6 deep wheats in the sandy, easy digging soil, I hit a solid quarter signal at 00 27 and deep. Out came this buckle at ~ 8 . The barber I found in one of the oldest American parks a few weeks ago, and one of the mercs I found last week with Scott.

One of these semi iffy tones at ~ 8 turned out to be this smoking aparatus. (It's craked so you guys won't want it!) The little round piece with the snake and blue stone I thought might be gold, however, no luck.

The other piece might be gold but it bends like wire, so prolly not, although it is a bit heavy.

THe ruler type thingy is a money clip. It must be silver plated as it sounded pretty good and it was deep.

The most interesting dig was this earring. With IM at 25, it nulls. The only thing I could hear was the silver shaft that slips through the ear. I am particularily impressed with my machine for hearing it as the entire piece was sitting between 2 pieces of trash, yet I was convinced there was something good down there. When I waved a handful of dirt in front of the coil, it nulled. Obviously there was a tiny window of opportunity here to find it. but I did.

THe last dig gave me a solid quarter reading and it turned out to be the merc. For the 1st time ever, I lost the signal in the pile with silver in it (I've had this happen with LC's but not silver). I put a handful back in the hole only to have to remove it again as it must have been on edge when I waved it over the coil. I was happy to have found this.....not much silver has come out of here lately. Then I ran out of daylight.

HH

Aaron

jkress
07-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Awesome silver HG. :clapping:
The slow swing is definitely the key. When I hit heavy trash my swing speed slows waaaay down.
This has helped me tremendously this year. Also as you mentioned, target ID really moves off normal when you
enter trash and depth into the equation. I'd bet almost half of my silver this year didn't ID close to what
it should. Try this... you will be amazed. When you are creeping along at a painfully slow swing speed and come across
a target that sounds very promising don't dig it right away. Gradually increase your swing speed and pay attention to how much
faster you have to go before the 'dig me' signal disappears. It doesn't take much before the signal is gone.
Congrats on the silver and best of luck on your next hunt. :yes:

aloldstuff
07-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Congrats on the silver. Yup going slow is key for those deep ones.

del
07-09-2011, 06:40 PM
some very decent results Aaron and the silver is ... well its silver and is always a great day when its found .congrats :peace:

z118
07-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Nice finds Aaron. It's amazing sometimes the things that pop up when you dig those iffy signals. Congrats on the Merc and the Barber!

coinnut
07-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Some good finds and some really great lessons learned. It would be nice if all the shallow silver was mixed or near junk targets...then it would be easy picking. It seems that the shallow mixed stuff is the exception to the rule. Most of the stuff we crave for is deep >:/ You did a good job of pulling some of those targets, especially the rusted earring. A bit faster or a different direction, and they would still be there.