PDA

View Full Version : Another week at that new spot - 2 IH's, Buff, 9 Silver, etc!

z118
07-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I count war nickels as silver... :grin:

I got in some more hunts at that new spot of mine this week - two short evening hunts, a nice long hunt on Saturday morning, and then another short one on Sunday. I pulled quite a few more goodies - total for the week was 2 beat up Indian Heads (190? & 1887), 15 wheats, a 1937 Buff, 3 war Nickels, 2 Mercs, 2 Rosies, a 1954 Canadian dime, and a 1959 Washington quarter. Needless to say I'm having a great time!

The Indians are in rough shape and rang in around 12-30 on the E-trac. They are the first I've found in over a year. The Buff is only the second I've dug with a legible date. The three war nickels were all found in one hunt, they are the first I've dug with the E-trac, and they all rang up differently. The first came in around 12-24. This is usually junk but I dug anyway, and I was pleased to find it was a war nickel. I figured no wonder I haven't found any before then with the E-trac yet if that's how they ring up. The second came in at 12-12, just like a nickel, so I was pretty confused when I saw the big mint mark. And the last gave the most horrific, wonky, signal ever. Sometimes a signal is so awful I have to dig just to see what it is. I'm glad I did because it was a war nickel and the Canadian dime about an inch apart. Anyway the first and second war nickels still ring up differently, and I've tested them in several spots. One is 12-12, and the other 12-24. Maybe it's due to corrosion?

The last pic is a few misc items... I've dug a bunch of relic items of unknown use at this spot but they are still fun to find.

Happy hunting!

Viking
07-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Wow, you have a good spot indeed! I'm envious! :loveit:

Keep it up! thumbsup01

MassDirtFisher
07-10-2011, 02:20 PM
You cleaned house!! Congrats on the silver hoard!! Way to go, keep at it! happy Hunting!!

angellionel
07-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Excellent, Z! :clapping: You are on a roll. thumbsup01

Yeah, those wartime nickels do hit at several Co numbers. I have had a few hit at the 12 to 14 mark, while others have been higher, at 30 or more.

jkress
07-10-2011, 10:29 PM
What an incredible site you have to hunt. :daydream:
It's exciting heading out for a search when you have a place like that to look forward to.
Great bunch of keepers but of course I love those silvers... the silver nickels too. :clapping: Although I haven't found many of the
silver nickels this year, but I count them as well.
Once you hunt the place out, I am looking forward to hearing more details of your hot spot. :->
Congrats Z.

catskillcomics
07-11-2011, 06:37 AM
Nice hunt Z, looks like you have yourself a nice hunting place there...

aloldstuff
07-11-2011, 07:00 AM
Great hunting spot, looks like I'm gonna have to stalk you to find this spot. Congrats on the haul.

z118
07-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the comments all!

Yeah, those wartime nickels do hit at several Co numbers. I have had a few hit at the 12 to 14 mark, while others have been higher, at 30 or more.

Good to know Angel. I am surprised by the large variation in both sound and number that similar items can have on the E-trac. It seemed like items rang up over a tighter range on the Sov. Frankly, I think I like the Sov's way a bit better. There was no confusing Indian Heads and War Nickels with pull tabs on the Sov. Perhaps more time on the E-trac will make things clearer for me.

z118
07-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Great hunting spot, looks like I'm gonna have to stalk you to find this spot. Congrats on the haul.

lol Good luck, I change cars, outfits, and hair color three times on the drive to this spot! lol

hockeyguy
07-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Wow! I missed this post. U are kinning it....keep er going. WHen this happens, it's hard to remember what was going thru your mind a month ago , isn't it? :perfect10: :white:usaflag::

milco
07-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Wow, awesome finds! Congrats on your continued good finds at this new hot spot! Your soil is tough on those nickels, still nice finds. I'd be there constantly and day dreaming about being there even more! HH!

coinnut
07-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Nice bunch of finds Z :clapping: I think the number difference on the war nickels, is due to corrosion and mostly the angle that the coin is in the ground. I bet it reads different being vertical vs horizontal. The numbers may also be dragged up or down depending on what other target is close by. Next time you think you have a war nickle (or any target for that matter) see if you turn 90 degrees and rescan it, if the numbers change. I have had numbers clean up to where they should be, just by shortining my swing to an inch on each side or by turning 90 degrees. Keep at that place, it sounds like it's a blast to hit.

alderan33
07-14-2011, 08:19 AM
Awesome!! :cheering: I am looking forward to see what else you pull out of that spot! Keep 'em coming!! WTG