PDA

View Full Version : second day of E-Trac silver

Jason in Enid
10-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Today was my second day out with my E-Trac. I pulled a few bucks in clad and a silver St. Michael medal. These were the only old finds so far , and these are UGLY!

From left to right is a Merc , Wheat, Wheat. Pre and post cleaning pics are same order. Notice the rust in the corrosion on the Merc. These are the coins after 6 hours of tumbling. I couldn't get the crud off with a brass brush, much less with my fingers.

Epi-hunter
10-26-2009, 09:51 PM
OMG! You weren't kidding, that is the worst looking merc I have ever seen come out of the ground! :shocked04: I'm really curious... what FE and CO numbers did that hit at?

It cleaned up nice though :)

OkieDigger
10-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Wow! I'm going to have to start paying more attention to my finds after seeing these. Nice catch!

Jason in Enid
10-26-2009, 09:57 PM
I don't remember the pennies, but the merc was a SOLID 12-42. It may have shifted a point or two, one swing out of ten, but 12-42 was the main number.

Jason in Enid
10-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Wow! I'm going to have to start paying more attention to my finds after seeing these. Nice catch!

Well, my first thought was a crudy old penny, but then I remembered the FeCo numbers and thought that shouldn't be copper that high up. I picked at the edge until I saw the reeding.

Epi-hunter
10-26-2009, 10:03 PM
I don't remember the pennies, but the merc was a SOLID 12-42. It may have shifted a point or two, one swing out of ten, but 12-42 was the main number.

Wow.... a solid 12-42 and it was a rusty merc.

I'm sure I'm going to get a lecture now :grin:

angellionel
10-26-2009, 10:03 PM
That merc sure had some rust on it. It did clean up fairly well though.

Wow.... a solid 12-42 and it was a rusty merc.

I'm sure I'm going to get a lecture now :grin:

Not from me. I'm zipping up. :lipssealed: :grin:

OkieDigger
10-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Well if he won't lecture you, I will! You've got to dig those 12-39 through 12-47 numbers, especially if they've got any depth to them. :twirlingeyes:

Epi-hunter
10-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Well if he won't lecture you, I will! You've got to dig those 12-39 through 12-47 numbers, especially if they've got any depth to them. :twirlingeyes:

:grin: :rolleyes: OMG! Have you two been talking? :grin:

Thanks for sharing that Jason. That is definitely a good lesson. Glad you took the time to look at it and clean it up... I would probably have just chucked it over my shoulder in frustration :grin: Great find!

Jason in Enid
10-26-2009, 10:26 PM
OK, after seeing your replies I went and played with the emulator a bit. I think my ID numbers were coming in a couple points low on everything at this site. This is a VERY trashy site. I even emailed Okie Digger about my constant nulling to see if something was wrong with my machine. Even my clad dimes were coming in at the 42 range in Co.

There used to be a large number of detectorists here in town during the 70's and 80's. There was even a local club here. I know that every school and park have been hunted HARD, so to pull these old coins, from ground loaded with iron, I think is saying a lot about the E-Trac.

Epi-hunter
10-26-2009, 10:36 PM
OK, after seeing your replies I went and played with the emulator a bit. I think my ID numbers were coming in a couple points low on everything at this site. This is a VERY trashy site. I even emailed Okie Digger about my constant nulling to see if something was wrong with my machine. Even my clad dimes were coming in at the 42 range in Co.

There used to be a large number of detectorists here in town during the 70's and 80's. There was even a local club here. I know that every school and park have been hunted HARD, so to pull these old coins, from ground loaded with iron, I think is saying a lot about the E-Trac.

It does say a lot about the E-trac. And a lot about how fast you have picked it up... only the second time out! :shocked04:

Clad dimes come in for me often at 42-43, usually hit 44 though. I am not surprised that corroded dime came in lower than what might otherwise be expected.

MNDigger
10-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Wow I have never seen a silver coin look anything like that around here! It must have been bathing in rust! :shocked04:

marchas45
10-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Mostly my clad shows up looking like yours all rusted and pitted but I have been lucky with the silver. Maine is tough on coins.

SeabeeRon
10-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Looks like you are enjoying the E-Trac Jason!!